AFT vs Ron Newman Distance Theory Course

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

AFT vs Ron Newman Distance Theory Course

Postby Chopper Guy » Sun Oct 16 2011, 03:59

Hey Guys

I need to start my CPL theory shortly and was just curious if the Advanced Flight Theory (AFT) or the Ron Newman (http://www.onlineaviationtheory.com) Distance Ed course would be a better option ? Unfortunately, doing the course full-time in class really isn't an option...

From what i can see the AFT course gives you all the materials in hard copy, so it would be much easier to highlight, tag etc parts of the book as you go through.

Having said that, the Ron Newman course presented purely on-line has a bunch of questions at the end of each section and regardless of if your answer was correct or not, takes you back to the relevant paragraph after each question so that you can review & reinforce your understanding of that question.

Cheers
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: AFT vs Ron Newman Distance Theory Course

Postby Pegs » Sun Oct 16 2011, 10:15

Chopper Guy wrote:Hey Guys

I need to start my CPL theory shortly and was just curious if the Advanced Flight Theory (AFT) or the Ron Newman (http://www.onlineaviationtheory.com) Distance Ed course would be a better option ? Unfortunately, doing the course full-time in class really isn't an option...

From what i can see the AFT course gives you all the materials in hard copy, so it would be much easier to highlight, tag etc parts of the book as you go through.

Having said that, the Ron Newman course presented purely on-line has a bunch of questions at the end of each section and regardless of if your answer was correct or not, takes you back to the relevant paragraph after each question so that you can review & reinforce your understanding of that question.

Cheers

it really depends on your personal learning style, I have used both and there are good and not so good points to both training providers, end of the day it comes down to whether you prefer reading the books and learning that way, or reading on the computer (and not being distracted by Bladeslapper, The "other" forum, Facebook, Utube or any such other link that may pop up, (a tip, disable your email notification noise as well, then you are not tempted to just go and check that email that just came in half way through "study" time if your doing the computer based course. I used AFT for most of my CPL training, and have since bought the CPL and ATPL course of Ron Newmans for fixed wing, Ron's course is very involved and the volume of information provided can be overwhelming IE there are no "simple short answers", but it certainly does teach you the nuts and bolts of the subject, felt like I could have sat the engineer's exam after one of the subjects I did! Really comes down to you though, both are good courses!
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
MOGG
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MOGG » Thu Oct 20 2011, 23:31

Hello Chopper Guy
Like Pegs I to have used both ATF and Ron Newman’s course. I found both them excellent but the one thing that helps me especially with the distance learning was Ron’s animation and audio. It is like being in the classroom, and if you can answer all of Ron’s question you are not only well on the way to passing the exam but also have a sound theory knowledge. As Pegs said it’s up to your learning style.
All the best
Mogg
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Fri Oct 21 2011, 02:09

Thanks Pegs & Mogg for your responses. They have defiantely assisted in my decision.

I will admit at this stage, i am leaning towards the Ron Newman course...

Primarily, although i would rather read from a book than a PC Screen, the idea of having regular questions throughout the content to re-inforce the learning, rather than just one big practice exam at the end is definately appealing. The audio / animation that you mentioned Mogg sounds like they would help a heap as well !

Secondly, although i havn't had any experience with the AFT books, i have read Ron's book 'Helicopters will take you anywhere' and really liked the way that not only did he give you the theory, but then gave an exapmle of how to apply it to an actual everyday situation.

Thanks again.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Oct 21 2011, 15:16

Ive completed Atpl(h) and Atpl(a) with Nathan at AFT and have sat the corresponding in-house subjects with him in YBSU and have found him to be the consumate professional, if i had a a tenth of his brain cells id be delighted!.

I would highly reccomend them.( private email will follow Nathan regarding depositing said carton of beverage into fridge and also remote control helo!)

I would deffinately reccomend them up there without hesitation :D
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Randall
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Randall » Thu Oct 27 2011, 08:46

Hi Guys,

I was trolling through the forum and came across this very interesting discussion.

I guess that for those of you who don't know me, I've got to be up front and tell you that I was for a time the Theory Instructor and am now the Operations Manager and sometimes Theory Instructor at PHS.

That said, I have had the pleasure of using all methods (AFT, Self Study using Bob Tait Books, Ground School at both PHS and others as well as utilising Ron Newmans Online Aviation Theory Course) when I was studying for my CPL(H) theory.

My two bob's worth on this discussion is very much in line with what others have said to date with the general vein being.....use whatever works for you.

What I would add however is that a hard copy does not self update every once and awhile, it doesn't get additional material added to it overnight in your folder - forever! - and it certainly doesn't animate or provide voice overs.

I'm not in any way knocking the paper study providers....they meet needs and deliver results - no two ways about it.

What I am suggesting worthy of consideration though, is that if you are going to part with your hard earned, you would be wise to consider Ron's Online Aviation Theory Course regardless of what you do theory wise as it certainly teaches you what you need to know (and much more) for your CPL(H) exams as well as giving you the material to be more than a passer of exams too - and - it also provides an electronic and searchable Theoretical Reference Source for your entire aviation career - updated regularly and for life with no more to pay.

I still use mine about once a month to answer a question or settle a bet :wink:

It's a pretty good investment in my book - especially considering it is the aviation industry and bargains are few and far between :D

Cheers Guys
--Randall

Any Day Above Ground - Is A Good Day
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Thu Oct 27 2011, 09:45

MOGG wrote:Hello Chopper Guy
Like Pegs I to have used both ATF and Ron Newman’s course. I found both them excellent but the one thing that helps me especially with the distance learning was Ron’s animation and audio. It is like being in the classroom, and if you can answer all of Ron’s question you are not only well on the way to passing the exam but also have a sound theory knowledge. As Pegs said it’s up to your learning style.
All the best
Mogg

Yep I've seen Ron animated too :shock: Usually when I stuffed up!! :roll:
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Islandheli
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Islandheli » Thu Oct 27 2011, 10:03

Hi Chopper Guy,
I did my theory and training at PHS a few years ago and was one of the first lot to use Ron's online course.
I still get emails from him with updates that have become available and although I don't always check them, I do occasionally, and this helps keep me current.
Having no experience with AFT, I can not comment on them.
My only advise to you would be see if AFT keep you informed with changes to the AIP's, CAR's or any thing else long after you have passed the exam.

Anyway, you forget most of it 3 minutes after the exam..........
Rotorbiz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rotorbiz » Thu Oct 27 2011, 21:57

HI All
Similar thoughts on AFT and Ron Newmans. Both excellent but provide different learning methods. My guess is you young fellas that have grown up glued to the TV
will love Ron Newmans method. But books you can keep and re read , well thats good too. Horses for courses really. Feedback from younger students suggests definitely a lean to Rons system. AFT are also very supportive. Either way we win. Congrats to both.
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Wed Nov 16 2011, 06:43

Hello All

I just thought I'd log on and let you know that i made the decision to go with the Ron Newman course, purchased today... thanks to all that replied to my initial post.

Although i really haven't had time to get stuck into it, in the half hour I've spent giving it the once over it looks exactly like what i was hoping for.

Please note, this post is in no way a criticism of AFT, as pretty much everybody who replied said in the end it came down to the fact that the Ron Newman course seems more suited to my learning style.

Chopper "Let The Learning Begin" Guy
Duke
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Duke » Wed Nov 16 2011, 06:58

Curious,
Personally I was looking for something that I could use from an iPad. PDF/Web based content. I noticed that the RN would only run if you had VMware? pretty sure thats not an app on iTunes :wink: I also asked the guys at AFT,about the possibility of digital books? Got a no on that front digital media front. I only just started the course though AFT, so not overly fussed but I think it would be a great idea for course content to be readily available online for D/L or in ready PDF format. Given that a lot of people are now using the iPad/tablets for reading content, not to mention for EFB purposes.

On a side note digital content would make life a lot easier for me, better than lugging around a few folders, books, maps, and all the other gear while riding a motorbike. the significance of the bike? free parking at the airport. :roll:

If I could be motivated to scan in all 1.2 billion pages of the course folder I probably would... but at this point ill just stick to luggin the folder around :D

Cheers,

Duke........
"Got my L-Plates on"
One day when i grow up! ahhh who am I kidding that will never happen...
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Wed Nov 16 2011, 07:22

Hey Duke

Yep, no Mac's and no apps for Ron at this stage (Hint Hint, Nudge Nudge)'

The subscription is also locked to one PC as well. Eg, The first PC you load it onto is the PC it stays locked to. So although you can email Ron and get him to change your subscription to a new PC if you upgrade, you cant bounce between the home PC and the work PC.

Chopper Guy
Duke
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Duke » Wed Nov 16 2011, 07:34

Chopper Guy wrote:Yep, no Mac's and no apps for Ron at this stage (Hint Hint, Nudge Nudge)'

Thanks for the intel. ill keep an eye's open anyway... and hope someone nails the market sooner rather than later.

BTW subtle as a fart in a cockpit my friend. :D
Duke
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Duke » Thu Nov 17 2011, 19:41

cassidy_copter wrote:Regarding MAC Applications . . . all one needs to do is get a program called Parallels Desktop and you can have Windows on your MAC.

I guess what I was chasing was something that could run on a tablet/iPad. So either PDF or web based rather than an application as such. I don't run a MAC at home, but I do have an iPad and wanted something that was portable to read rather than sit at the old desktop... to tempted to play flight sim (as its a little cheaper than actually flying) :cool_dc:

Ill just see what happens for now, like I said doing the AFT course for now and ill just keep flying with NH.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Sun Sep 9 2012, 12:38

got another question,

If you fail an ASL exam is there a wait period before you can resit? and do you have to pay the full price?
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
k7781
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby k7781 » Mon Sep 10 2012, 01:14

All the details on the wait periods to resit an exam are on the CASA website:

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... c=PC_90079

I think if you fail, you lose the fee you paid to ASL but not the CASA component of the fee. Check the ASL website for more info too.

http://aslau.aspeqexams.com/Home/Info
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon Sep 10 2012, 04:37

Thanks K7781,

Another question... sorry, but when you're sitting the Airlaw exams do you need to provide your own reference doc's??? I would have thought that you would be prohibited taking outside material into an exam??? Is it possible to do these exams without these exams??? what if the charts change compared to the questions... sorry for the questions.

AFT has a document Package: Overseas ATPL Helicopter Map/Document Package
This package contains:

•ERC High 1/2, 3/4, 5
•ERC Low 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8
•TAC 1/2, 3/4, 5
•AUS PCA
•VTC Brisbane-Maroochydore/Coolangatta
•VTC Hobart/Launceston
•VTC Melbourne/Adelaide
•Civil Aviation Regulation (CAR)
•Civil Aviation Orders (CAO) Parts 20 to 95.2
•AIP Book, including AIP SUP
•En Route Supplement Australia (ERSA) with RDS
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
k7781
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby k7781 » Tue Sep 11 2012, 10:59

Yankee,

You should take in your reg's and charts for the CPL law exam. There is also a workbook that has info for certain questions that you may need to refer to, that you can download from the CASA site. See the blue links in the box:

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... c=PC_90068

When booking your exam, what you are able to take in will be listed. Be aware though that there are limits on the amount of tags you can have in your reg's. This info is available from the candidate section of the ASL website. :

Underlining, Highlighting and Tagging

Underlining and highlighting are permissible in the material you will be taking into the exam centre. There should be no training notes or instructions on any pages. Regarding the practice of tagging documents, CASA has specified that only ERSA, AIP and Jeppesen manuals are permitted to include tags. The ERSA is permitted to contain 5 tags, the AIP or Jeppesen (note that you cannot use both) are permitted to contain 10 tags. Tags are to be single sided and are to only include the subject headings of the relevant section or page. Candidates presenting with more than the allowed number of tags, or with tags contrary to the above detailed guidelines, will be asked to remove them before sitting the examination. Note that section dividers provided with the manuals do not count towards the total tag count. These dividers cannot be manufactured by the candidate and may not contain any additional notes else they will need to be removed prior to the commencement of the exam.

Once again,if you read and search through the CASA website, you will find most answers. See http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... c=PC_90074

From this section, it lists the materials you can take into the Airlaw exam. Not sure if you are doing CPL(H) or ATPL, but for CPL:

9. CLWH

Provided by ASL to candidate

Scribble pad

Required/to be supplied by candidate

CAR
CAO Parts 20 to 95.2
AIP Book
ERSA complete
Hobart/Launceston VTC
Brisbane-Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast VTC
ERC Low 1/2 and 3/4 (2 ERC Lows)
AUS PCA

If doing APTL level airlaw, the CASA site lists what you can take in for that too a bit further down the page. Hope this helps and happy reading :)

Cheers
Jhaigh

Postby Jhaigh » Wed Jan 9 2013, 20:51

Hello,
I was just wondering if someone had the AFT Thoery books that they dont use that I could borrow to complete me CPL thoery and then I'll give them back?

If some one could help please e-mail or call me on:
jarrath.haigh@hotmail.com

Thank you.
Revhead
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Revhead » Wed Jan 9 2013, 21:05

You can use Ron's site on a Mac now without parallel or VM Ware. I'm using it on a Mac without those. Go to the site for info on what to do

The site has had a revamp. You can now also use the site on tablets. usage for ipad is coming very soon. awaiting apple approval for the app, so I'm told.

RH

Return to “Flight Training”