AFT vs Ron Newman Distance Theory Course

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
robbiedan
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: AFT vs Ron Newman Distance Theory Course

Postby robbiedan » Thu Jan 10 2013, 02:39

Jhaigh check your PM's.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Thu Nov 14 2013, 07:10

Did anybody used onlineaviationtheory for the ATPL exams recently?
I used it for the CPL subjects and found them very good but would like to hear about opinions regarding the ATPL.

Cheers
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Thu Nov 14 2013, 08:11

I used Ron Newmans study material for the Commercial Air Law... I passed the exam on the first try today. I also used AFT notes and practice exams...

It seems that CASA is changing regs a lot because the Exam I sat today had a lot of new stuff in it...

The nice thing About Ron's method is that he does a great job of referencing the relevant sections in the pubs... So, using his course with the pubs in hand is very helpful.

I will sit ATPL airlaw next week... the Comm exam I sat today was very tough...
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Thu Nov 14 2013, 09:11

Yankee wrote:I will sit ATPL airlaw next week... the Comm exam I sat today was very tough...

Was it your last CPL exam? Congratulations! :D
Breece
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Breece » Sun Jun 29 2014, 04:56

Hi team,
I thought I'd add my recent experiences for people considering how to approach the Theory component of their CPL(H)

I completed my TIF with Randall Todd at PHS last year. I was really impressed by his approach and the set up at Moorabbin.
In order to familiarise myself with the Flight Training, I wanted to understand more of the theory behind flying and get a strong handle on the course content.

After reviewing all the options available, I decided to sign up to http://www.onlineaviationtheory.com as I tend to work well in a Self-Paced Learning environment. The flexible nature of this training helps me balance my business with my learning.
Everyone is different, so go with what works for you based on your previous experiences.

So far, I've found the explanations really easy to follow and understand. Being able to test yourself with the questions in each section, and the exam in each subject is a great way to sharpen your focus and see where you're still deficient. A lot of people recommend just focusing on one subject at a time. I tend to agree.

If I run into difficulties throughout the course, my plan is to complete the in-house theory training at PHS whilst undertaking my flight hours.

I hope this helps others as they choose their stepping off point.
Good luck team.
Breece Gevaux
oei
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby oei » Sun Jun 29 2014, 09:31

I would highly recommend Online Aviation Theory , Randall is a very approachable guy, has plenty of time to explain things to newbies...
headsy84
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby headsy84 » Sun Jun 29 2014, 11:42

I am using Ron Newman's at the moment and it's great.
Although due to internet issues I have decided to go to class to do it more quickly.
It is very informative and as mentioned above the questions help a lot.
Milliejane

Postby Milliejane » Tue Dec 26 2017, 16:26

Hiya

It's been 3.5 years since last reply.

Is there any new info about Ron Newmans online course we should know about?

It sounds like a great way to immerse oneself in the theory.

Combine that with the recommended books and you'd have a solid foundation.

Kindness always

A
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Sun Oct 14 2018, 23:55

Afternoon slappers,

I wanted to repost on this subject as I am interested if anyone has used online aviation theory for their ATPL subjects?

I am considering buying it to start doing some general maintenance study and prep “full time” study next year. It’s realitively cheaper compared to the aft hard copy version. I am prob still planning on doing the two full time ground crew subjects with aft if I have the time and money late next year.

Would appreciate any feedback from people using it for ATPL or CPL subjects. I know AFT is good as I did use there books for CPL a while back.

I particularly like the fact I don’t have to carry around large bum folders ect.

Really just want feedback from crew currently or recently using it.

Thanks,

K pop;
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Mon Oct 15 2018, 09:24

Main things to consider is if you can study from a computer screen compared to paper, for me it puts me to sleep looking at a screen for hours and I learn alot better from a book, as I can highlight.... everyone is different though.

OAT is a good source of practice questions & exams, though the questions seem to be repeated a fair bit.
There is audio summaries and colour illustrations which can be helpful.
There is a also search feature in OAT where you can search specific content with a keyword which can be useful.
If you want to print some content it can only be done with a screen shot.

Also, OAT server has crashed a few times recently, just night before my exams which was annoying.
Hope that helps..

Return to “Flight Training”