TIF

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

TIF

Postby Rattlegun » Sun Apr 17 2011, 08:54

On friday I had the privledge of taking a Trial Introductory Flight with Heliwest in Toowoomba. I cannot overstate what a fantastic experience it was! The staff at Heliwest were very professional, confident and helpful (especially regarding my CASA troubles ATM). The briefing was very thorough and their obvious commitment to safety was both impressive and quite reassuring. I was worried that I'd be quite anxious and tense once in the air, but I felt more comfortable, and was able to think more clearly than I had expected. This, I think, was mainly due to quality instruction rather than any ability on my part.

My absolute highlight was when my Instructor (Col) took his hand completely from the cyclic of the R22 and left me totally in control. What a buzz! Like surfing your first wave, or even kissing a girl for the first time. Just awesome! (Okay, I know that sounds a bit wanky but I don't care, thats how it was).

An experience I'd recommend to anyone.

Rattlegun.
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Re: TIF

Postby helothere » Sun Apr 17 2011, 09:03

Good for you Rattlegun, many of us have been there, for some of us it's just a bit longer ago than for others... Mine was a while ago but still vivid. It sure is a great feeling, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Thanks also for the kind comments toward the operator, I'm sure your words are appreciated. Be sure to keep us up to date with the next step!
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Sun Apr 17 2011, 10:00

So who came away with the biggest grin you or Col???? :D
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Sun Apr 17 2011, 10:34

Not sure about Col, but I'm still grinning.
Fling Wing
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Fling Wing » Sun Apr 17 2011, 11:38

Ahhh....the memories of that first TIF. Magical!

I think the instructor is still in rehab! :|
high flyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby high flyer » Sun Apr 17 2011, 12:12

Congrats, Def know that feeling.

Wait until your first SOLO. An even bigger and more amazing feeling. :)

Good luck with it all :)
Flying, the art of falling at the ground and missing :)
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sun Apr 17 2011, 20:48

Well done rattlegun, enjoy the rest of the learning phase, hard work, but it is worth it in the end.

Unfortunately my first tif is a blur, not because of the dementure but I was just so overwelmed that it seemed to be done before I could work out what was happening. Main thing is that it worked and the hook was set well and truely.

Scary thing is you mention it was better than kissing a girl for the first time, really, you may need to step back and have a good look at who you are locking lips and swapping spit with.......................
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Mon Apr 18 2011, 00:58

Fling Wing wrote:I think the instructor is still in rehab! :|

im currently on day release only!!! having a few side effects with the meds......
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Mon Apr 18 2011, 01:27

I doubt very much that you were 'totally in control'........a vivid imagination is a good thing but.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Apr 18 2011, 03:14

Congrats Rattlegun, I know Col personally and can vouch for his commitment to the aviation industry and his passion for instructing and working with helicopters and people. Good to see some great feedback on a business and its instructors. Enjoy the training.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Mon Apr 18 2011, 09:08

Guess I should clarify for the likes of Nawty:

When I say "totally in control" I mean that I got to be the only one holding the cyclic for a brief period of straight and level flight.
When I say "Straight" I mean that we were vaguely headed toward some hills off in the distance.
When I say "Level" I mean that we climbed 800ft.

I learned that I've a lot to learn.

Thanks for all the support guys,

Rattlegun.
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Mon Apr 18 2011, 09:31

Rattlegun wrote:When I say "Straight" I mean that we were vaguely headed toward some hills off in the distance.
When I say "Level" I mean that we climbed 800ft.

Haha, no mate that was when Collywobbles was flying :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just jokes. Col's a champ. Good on ya mate.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby harold » Tue Apr 19 2011, 23:04

"Every long journey starts with that 1 first step"!

Happy travels!
astrocantfly

Postby astrocantfly » Wed Apr 20 2011, 06:26

Maybe it's because My life has been a sheltered one. Maybe because My first kiss was with a girl without all her teeth(and not much hope for the remaining ones) but, My first TIF far surpassed the first time I put an erection to any sort of practical, intended use...
Happy slappin' peeps.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Thu Apr 21 2011, 02:21

RG....we all knew that.

Cannot remember my first TIF....not sure I ever had one, think I went straight into it.

I do remember my first ever heli flight though vividly.....it was with Kerry Slingsby.
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Thu Apr 21 2011, 02:28

Well done mate :!:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Mon Apr 17 2017, 21:20

Hey Rattlegun, this was the start of a long journey. All those years ago, where has the time gone?
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.

Return to “Flight Training”