TR Chip Light

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Uncle Chop Chop
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

TR Chip Light

Postby Uncle Chop Chop » Sun Nov 12 2006, 00:40

'Ullo chops,

With respect to having a TR Chip light come on in flight, I've heard that some people have made a prec landing and others have done a run on landing in case of a pending TR failure......

Even though the FLT manual may stipulate "Land ASAP", I've been taught both ways & both have valid points.....

Is there a clear way, or is it purely a PIC decision at the time ??
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Postby Master Cylinder » Sun Nov 12 2006, 05:30

Well, for my money if you can do a run on landing you're putting less demand on the tail rotor gearbox which is, in this case, suspect. If thats ont an option, I'd opt for landing at the fist suitable area and conduct an approach to a no hover landing (limit power changes and increased demand on the tail rotor). I'm not sure that there IS a right or wrong answer here...depends on the situation.

What I wouldn't do is carry on flying to an airfield if there were suitable landing points along the way (ie. Land As Soon as Possible = Land at the first available site where a safe landing can be made). The danger is that you pass up the good farmers fields because the airfield is "right over there" and the gearbox gives up the ghost before you make it home...I've been in that situation (airfield in sight, 5 nm away) and opted, IAW the manual, to land in the paddock.

My 3.1415 cents worth.

MC
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
NQ Jock

Postby NQ Jock » Sun Nov 12 2006, 14:03

Unfortunately, you have to make your own decision if this happens to you.

You certainly have the option to get other people's view but in the end - you are PIC.

You know what has happened so deal with the situation.

If you have the room, run-on. If you don't have the room, don't run-on. Simple as that.

The one thing that every pilot should do is put it on the ground! How you do that is up to you.
Drumpump
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Drumpump » Mon Dec 4 2006, 13:18

Be aware of the situation don't make it something it's not. Many people have damaged helicopters due to an indication problem not mechanical fault eg , engine out horn comes on but the engine is still running the pilot enters auto but go's all the way to the ground and damages the helicopter Most of the time in the field you will not find a suitable place to run on it always happens at the most inappropriate times, but if you are at an air-field it is your choice, 90% of the time it will be a bit of fur that anyone over 40 years of age will need glass to see not a gear tooth, it's an indicator it's not telling you the helicopter is going to explode but take it seriously if know what I mean.
cheers Drumpump

Return to “Flight Training”