Suggestions for study

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Suggestions for study

Postby NEWBIE » Sat Nov 4 2006, 03:23

Hey everyone just looking for some suggestions,
I am a 22 year old male who has just finished the CPLH with chopperline on the sunny coast.
I am ex military. my plan was when I came back from overseas in july, I planned to do my CPL then join the rest of the low timers searching the country for jobs.
But the army dangled a monster carrot ($$$$) to go on a five month contract to go in there next deployment, and after talking to the 2 chief pilots at Chopper Line they suggested I do so..
Which leads me to Qs, I am going to be able to study till march before joining the job hunt again, and any suggestions on what I should be studying\reading\doing to make my self more attractive would be greatly appreciated?
I all ready have-
CPL-H
CPL-A
Internal Crewman\winch ticket
HUET
DG
NVFR FW
And sitting Bob Taits IRX over stand down

And I have 17 years of cattle experince( Am looking at this path as a possible start)

I am also putting $$ aside to do a refreser in March To get my flying up to a standered were I am happy after the 5 month absense,

Thanks ever-one your thoughts are much appreciated,

Last edited by NEWBIE on Sat Nov 4 2006, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby bellslapper » Sat Nov 4 2006, 04:13

Hi there Newbie

Doesn’t matter how many ticks you have in the box , its your work ethic, personality that will get you your first job and of course in the right place at the right time, and like Ken (chopperline) says "you need to make your own luck".

Depending on what you want to do with your flying, I would knock of IREX and ATPL theory while the CPL is still fresh

Best of luck
BS
OzCan
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby OzCan » Sat Nov 4 2006, 07:22

Newbie,

Sounds to me if your looking at the mustering side of things that your over qualified already, I suggest studying up on People and Penthouse.... :shock:

Second to that, I’d hit up the ATPL's while the CPL is still fresh and since you have a little time, some will say its no good until you get the hours, but I’d recommend it. Nothing to loose.

Good luck on the next deployment :!:
r22flyer

Postby r22flyer » Sat Nov 4 2006, 11:27

You could spend those hard earned dollars on some english lessons :D
F.L what are they

Postby F.L what are they » Sun Nov 5 2006, 02:02

R22flyer pull your head in, the kid is looking for some suggestions not some cheap lip,
it's the likes of him why we get to speak ENGLISH so think a bit before you open your mouth...

And Newbie I would lean to doing ATPL will everything is still fresh. But just be mindful of the time limit on the Air Law,
If nothing else it gives you more options, and possible some insurance +s to take away from your low time.
But I would think hard before it told a mustering operator that you have some of the ATPL sub done as envy is a funny emotion. Good luck with the study and the deployment.
TomOz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TomOz » Sun Nov 5 2006, 02:27

But just be mindful of the time limit on the Air Law

The requirement to complete the Air Law exam within the last 12 months has been repealed. The only requirement now is that all seven exams must be passed within three calendar years, starting from the first attempt, successful or otherwise.

By the way... What is an F.L? :?:
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Postby Master Cylinder » Sun Nov 5 2006, 05:15

TomOz wrote:The requirement to complete the Air Law exam within the last 12 months has been repealed.

Giddy up!!!
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sun Nov 5 2006, 05:33

Flight Level?

:o
TomOz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TomOz » Sun Nov 5 2006, 05:42

Flight Level - oh yeah that makes sense I suppose. :P
Helicam
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Helicam » Sun Nov 5 2006, 08:36

Have you tried putting the hard word on the army to try and get a transfer into a pilot position? you would have to do all your training again but it would be worth it in the long run, back in the old days i wouldnt suggest it but recently they have made it alot easier to get into and with the previous army experince might be a good foot in the door plus if you have a long downtime it might be something to at least try for.
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Sun Nov 5 2006, 19:45

Thanks the suggestions everyone, I am going to go with the atpl, IRX, option. Would it be a good idea to folow F.L idea of leaving it of the resume in some cases?, and does any body have any suggestions for when I have put aside to do a refreser course weather it would be a good idea to just polish up on the emerg procedures and gen flying, or should I be doing a endorsmennt onto a new type or NVFR-H??, I only have R22 R44 currently,
And SSO is not an option as being exposed to to many extremely loud bangs have droped me just below the hearing required threshold,
Thanks for your help everybody,

Return to “Flight Training”