HELICOPTER SIMULATOR FLY FOR FREE, SYDNEY

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
captaindugong

HELICOPTER SIMULATOR FLY FOR FREE, SYDNEY

Postby captaindugong » Sat Apr 3 2010, 00:12

Hi All
I'm new to this forum but have been involved with helicopters for a while, both owning and flying them.I have a commercial rotary wing license, and I fly fixed wing aircraft for a living.
Recently I have built a simulator, using controls similar to a R22, and 3x22in screen setup, a total of 1.5m wide, 135deg FOV. I love it, and I think there is training / recency value in it. It is not the same as an R22, but the muscle memory etc required is the same. Same relationship between pedals, power etc. Good response to wind etc. There is no motion (at this stage)
Sometimes though when you are too close to a project you can't see the 'wood for the trees.' Maybe I am wrong about it. I would like to get input from others, from people who are about to start learning, through to experienced pilots. It IS NOT Microsoft based, as I think basic Microsoft FSX etc. is rubbish for helicopters as far as realism goes.

If you are about to start learning, or have just started, I am especially keen for you to spend a few hours on it. I will give you instruction in its use, and basic helicopter technique (I will not teach you helicopter theory, that is up to you, I am not a rotary wing instructor, but was a fixed wing instructor) and we will see how you go at it and what your thoughts about it are after you transition to the real helicopter. It will be interesting to then see how actual training goes, and if then looking back you think it was helpful.
If you are more experienced I would also appreciate your input. If you are about to start flying after some time off, have a go! If you would fly again if you were more current, have a go!
I would like input on how to make it better, so all are welcome, if their aim is to be constructive with their criticism.
If you don't fly already, or have no intention of learning, please do not contact me. This is not meant as a toy or amusement, and my time is valuable. No tyre kickers I think is the motoring analogy.
This simulator is set up at my home, so can only be used when I am here. No walk ups, that's not the deal. Ever.
Contact me via email in the first instance and we can make a time to talk about it / meet / try it etc.

captaindugong@hotmail.com

Thanks

Carl.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: HELICOPTER SIMULATOR FLY FOR FREE, SYDNEY

Postby bladepitch » Sat Apr 3 2010, 04:44

Ok Slappers

lets help Carl out,

I know Carl personally, if there are any junior pilots,training or qualified, hanging around the sydney basin, get in contact and help him out.
I would help him out personally if work committments (geograhically) allowed. but unfortunatley not. Carl does a lot more for our industry than mentioned, so lets help him!

Any experienced guys if you have any time please consider helping him out.

Carl is a very experienced pilot. so please, as he says, dont waste his time!

he is only heading down this path to make the industry a better one.

Good luck to you Carl. let me know how it goes.
mhale71
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby mhale71 » Sat Apr 3 2010, 06:32

Definately seems like something valuable to try out before i get back in the game to finish my CPL,
Whoosh
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Whoosh » Sat Apr 3 2010, 10:52

Carl
Your machine sounds great. There used to be a sort of a simulator getting around some years ago. Actually CASA called it a tethered trainer. It actually flew, with all the required bits etc (based on H269/369 controls), but was built into a frame so that it stayed within 1.5m from the ground and was also controlled by an instructor with a control panel if the pilot got into any difficulty. I heard you could log the first 10 hours of your licence on it.
Best of luck with your simulator. There is a real need for one.

Whoosh
TheMattmosphere

Postby TheMattmosphere » Fri Oct 26 2018, 21:20

Hi Carl!

i know this post is quite old now but regarding the simulator you built, I’m a few hours into my rotary training and would love some time in a sim if it’s still set up?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Matt Cornell

mc@mattcornell.com

Return to “Flight Training”