Looking for advice on training

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Looking for advice on training

Postby VBlade » Sun Sep 23 2018, 00:01

I am in the middle of my CPLH training at the moment, close to 50hrs in an R22.
Looking for advice from operators or past experiences for which would be a better way to go about the rest of my training to be more employable upon completion.

Should I be getting as much R44 hours now or get the endorsement and hours after receiving my CPL.
Or am I better off spending the funds on endorsements like low level, NVFR, high wind e.t.c and stick with the 22.

What are the usual operator insurance requirments for employing low hour pilots?
Which looks better on a resume for the chance on that first potential employment opportunity.

Any advice to steer me on the right track from here would be a great help.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Looking for advice on training

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Sep 23 2018, 00:10

If you can afford to finish your training in the 44 do it. The first job you get will most likely be in a 44, unless you go mustering, and the more hrs in the 44 the better both for insurance purposes and familiarity.
Last edited by Evil Twin on Sun Sep 23 2018, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Sun Sep 23 2018, 00:37

Cheers Evil,

If I did get as much 44 hours as possible whilst finishing the CPL, would I get an endorsement for both type even if doing flight test in one machine?

Aware that will get a seh endorsement, but am i right in saying that i will need to get a flight review in the other?

Thanks
bigboynasty
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigboynasty » Sun Sep 23 2018, 00:43

Stay with the R22, so sling training, as much as you can as it's good for general handling as well as getting the rating. Do at least 10hrs simulated instrument training, you need that if you want to work in Canada also if you can fit NVFR then get that done as well. Don't worry about PIC time, the minimum is fine. Get as much dual training as you can.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Sun Sep 23 2018, 08:11

Where is there an instrument sim?

Does Sim hours count as total hours?

Cheers
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Sep 23 2018, 08:14

He's talking about simulated instrument time i.e. under the hood, and it counts towards total time if done in the aircraft.

What part of the industry do you intend to work in and which country?
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Sun Sep 23 2018, 09:04

Got ya, done a bit of research and see what you guys mean now.. looks interesting.

At this stage not really 100% sure, would like to get into the bigger aircrafts, but dont want to get too picky and narrow my options for that first gig until I build some hours up, really just trying to set myself up to be more employable

Would defintely be open in going overseas but no idea on how that process works or the options for an out of school pilot.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Sep 23 2018, 10:07

OK, do this soon and before you spend much more money.

Have a real good think about where you wish to end up in your aviation career and then once you have this sorted you can start to work back from there to plan a career path. 'Almost' every job in aviation will require you to have more hours than you finish training with. You will need to work out how are you going to get those hours and an idea of the end goal will help, no point doing tourism work if you're going mustering as all it will give you is hours but no specific relevant experience. If the aim is utility work you will need to get turbine time and in as big an aircraft as you can convince someone to let you fly, this may be as PIC or possibly as a coey (though this is becoming increasingly rare) but in any case you will need hours and it almost doesn't matter where they come from as you won't be getting them long-lining air conditioners or the like. SAR or offshore will require an instrument rating and NVG for SAR plus some post qual time, so you may need to start as a prostitute to raise the required funds for this. :lol: You may need to be a hangar rat for a while and drive fuel trucks (have you got a truck licence and a DG) and you may get tossed the odd ferry for being good bloke, eventually those ferry flights will add up to you having the requirements to get a start somewhere. That may not be the place where you are but any realistic CP will know that and encourage you to move on if an opportunity presents itself.

Start working on building your network NOW in fact you should have started that already, I have found this to be more important than anything else in the industry. Make phone calls as opposed to email and ask your potential employers if you can drop in for a look around and a chat for some advice for a new starter. Don't be a pest but be persistent, friendly and listen to understand instead of listening to answer. If you have the spare time offer to go do some ground work for the experience but don't work for free, make sure you are getting something in return and don't get exploited. A wise old soul that was never in aviation once told me that you should always be training your replacement, the bloke you're loading for may be the one that you replace so learn everything you can whenever you can. Ears open, mouth shut unless you're asking relevant questions or being a good bloke. It's a very small industry but very rewarding.
Last edited by Evil Twin on Mon Sep 24 2018, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sun Sep 23 2018, 15:19

bigboynasty wrote:Stay with the R22, so sling training, as much as you can as it's good for general handling as well as getting the rating. Do at least 10hrs simulated instrument training, you need that if you want to work in Canada also if you can fit NVFR then get that done as well. Don't worry about PIC time, the minimum is fine. Get as much dual training as you can.

You can barely fly after 100 hrs let alone be proficient on the long line. Operators aren't that dumb to look at a resume and see a guy with 100 hrs with a sling rating and say this is our guy. Also there are guys out of work in Canada with more hours looking down a longline than you have looking out the front window.
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Sun Sep 23 2018, 20:19

plumber wrote:
bigboynasty wrote:Stay with the R22, so sling training, as much as you can as it's good for general handling as well as getting the rating. Do at least 10hrs simulated instrument training, you need that if you want to work in Canada also if you can fit NVFR then get that done as well. Don't worry about PIC time, the minimum is fine. Get as much dual training as you can.

You can barely fly after 100 hrs let alone be proficient on the long line. Operators aren't that dumb to look at a resume and see a guy with 100 hrs with a sling rating and say this is our guy. Also there are guys out of work in Canada with more hours looking down a longline than you have looking out the front window.

Plumber go away and come back when you have something useful to contribute. He never mentioned anything about becoming a LL pilot at 100HRS he's just looking for some guidance, and the less from you the better.
stick_monkey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby stick_monkey » Sun Sep 23 2018, 21:48

Hi V blade,

In addition to the good advice so far, I recommend that you fly 20 hrs on the R44 (including 5 hrs PIC) during your training. This will help employers with their insurance and the command time will allow you start flying pax on charter straight away. But just as importantly, I found, is that the extra 44 time will give you the extra confidence in handling that aircraft type for when you have a check-flight with a potential employer.

Unless you already have experience chasing cows on the ground - or are willing to do so for a year or two after getting your licence - it will be unlikely that you will find a job chasing them from the air. A tourism job on a 44 is the most realistic option that will be available to you straight out of a licence. It’s a good way of getting a start and it won’t preclude you from diversifying into a chosen career path after you’ve been doing it for a year or two.

Good luck with it all!
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Mon Sep 24 2018, 02:07

Thanks for all the great advice and the time taken, defintely helps steering me in the right direction.
Have taken it all on board and has made me think about things a bit more in depth.

Will defintely start my PR by making contact with employers and always happy to do the hangar rat role.
Prob go for that 44 experience & time now to maybe try start the career in mustering/ charter work and see where it all goes from there.

I have a fair bit of experience in ground mustering Cattle/ sheep so hopefully that helps.

Appreciate the advice.

Safe flying! 8)

Return to “Flight Training”