Considering Licence Options

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Lucky_01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Considering Licence Options

Postby Lucky_01 » Thu Aug 23 2018, 02:27

Hey Lady's & Gents,

I think I've given up the idea of flying for $$, I am on reasonably good dollars playing auto sparky ($84.70 an hour)

Just wondering what people's opinions on Doing either an RPL (H) or PPL (H) and just flying for fun? RPL you can add modules such as
- A Controlled Aerodrome Endorsement
- A Controlled Airspace Endorsement
- A Flight Radio Endorsement and
- A Recreational Navigation Endorsement

Is anyone else in this boat? Plus I have kids in school, and I get to see them on a regular basis, which means I dont really wanna move away.

Cheers
Lucky
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Considering Licence Options

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Aug 23 2018, 02:34

Lucky_01 wrote:Hey Lady's & Gents,

I think I've given up the idea of flying for $$, I am on reasonably good dollars playing auto sparky ($84.70 an hour)

Just wondering what people's opinions on Doing either an RPL (H) or PPL (H) and just flying for fun?

One of the smartest things I’ve read in years!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Aug 23 2018, 03:31

I have kids in school, and I get to see them on a regular basis

Not even a pilot yet, and already divorced - this guy is REALLY doing things in the right order!
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Thu Aug 23 2018, 03:40

If you can afford to do it for fun, then do it! that way it keeps your interest and motivation alive without killing the desire through having to work for dodgy operators in remote areas that underpay! Always said if I was a multimillionaire I'd buy my own chopper just for fun then occasionally lease it out well under the competition's rates just to watch them squirm! :wink: Oh, and I did the RePL just to add another feather in the cap, even if it doesn't lead to anything...
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
Lucky_01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lucky_01 » Thu Aug 23 2018, 03:42

Eric Hunt wrote:
I have kids in school, and I get to see them on a regular basis

Not even a pilot yet, and already divorced - this guy is REALLY doing things in the right order!

Just getting my ducks all in a row mate :)
Lucky_01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lucky_01 » Thu Aug 23 2018, 03:47

lowlevelhell wrote:If you can afford to do it for fun, then do it! that way it keeps your interest and motivation alive without killing the desire through having to work for dodgy operators in remote areas that underpay! Always said if I was a multimillionaire I'd buy my own chopper just for fun then occasionally lease it out well under the competition's rates just to watch them squirm! :wink: Oh, and I did the RePL just to add another feather in the cap, even if it doesn't lead to anything...

Cheers Mate,

I was thinking that 2 or so hours a month would still be awesome - fly in good weather only.
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Thu Aug 23 2018, 04:14

Lucky_01 wrote:
lowlevelhell wrote:If you can afford to do it for fun, then do it! that way it keeps your interest and motivation alive without killing the desire through having to work for dodgy operators in remote areas that underpay! Always said if I was a multimillionaire I'd buy my own chopper just for fun then occasionally lease it out well under the competition's rates just to watch them squirm! :wink: Oh, and I did the RePL just to add another feather in the cap, even if it doesn't lead to anything...

Cheers Mate,

I was thinking that 2 or so hours a month would still be awesome - fly in good weather only.

Have fun mate, at the end of the day despite all the pissing and moaning on this site from cynical pilots, we all do it for the same reason, fun...
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Thu Aug 23 2018, 08:23

Have fun mate, at the end of the day despite all the pissing and moaning on this site from cynical pilots, we all do it for the same reason, fun...[/quote]

"pissing and moaning" truer words have never been written LL.
Niko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Niko » Thu Aug 23 2018, 09:13

Just wondering what people's opinions on Doing either an RPL (H) or PPL (H) and just flying for fun? RPL you can add modules such as

Is anyone else in this boat? Plus I have kids in school, and I get to see them on a regular basis, which means I dont really wanna move away.

Cheers
Lucky

Honestly RPL is waste of time. Go for your PPL, it's an other one of those things that looks kind of appealing on paper but in practice may not be. It's primarily designed with plank drivers in mind. It got kind-of converted into the Rotary sector for as I see it, equality sakes. In my experience I yet to ever meet a pilot or heard of a helicopter pilot who has gone through to their RPL since it's introduction back in 2014

The minimums are 20hrs and 5hrs of solo. If you're flying on a weekly-ish basis, lets say you're to go solo at around 25hrs (could be less, could be more) add the extra solo time you're now looking at, say 30hrs. Then you're going to need a refresher course as it has been now over a month since you have been doing emergencies on a consistent basis + maybe a couple of extra hours in order to get up to scratch on some things you may have struggled with

So now we're getting pretty close to 40hrs... Let's say you pass your RPL. You can not fly with more than 1 passenger. The helicopters you can fly can only make "potatopotatopotato" sounds instead of the wooshy noises that sound attractive to you by now. You can't go further than 25nm away. You may find it very hard to be able to hire a helicopter with an RPL

Once you attach your Nav endorsement the figures become very questionable once we compare them to PPL

Okay, so this is where we open up CASA booklet and see what are the minimum hour requirements for a PPL are - https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/n ... icence.pdf ... *40hrs* for a much more superior license and training

Your training to a PPL standard will most likely be longer than 40hrs minimum (which is quite a low figure) but you will most likely feel a lot safer in a helicopter and will definitely be a much more competent pilot. But hey, if you do go for your RPL, start a blog here, I would be interested to see your progress and how it compares to the hypothetical scenario I have written out above. Afteral the numbers up there are only an average educated guess
Lucky_01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lucky_01 » Thu Aug 23 2018, 22:21

Niko wrote:
Honestly RPL is waste of time. Go for your PPL, it's an other one of those things that looks kind of appealing on paper but in practice may not be. It's primarily designed with plank drivers in mind. It got kind-of converted into the Rotary sector for as I see it, equality sakes. In my experience I yet to ever meet a pilot or heard of a helicopter pilot who has gone through to their RPL since it's introduction back in 2014

The minimums are 20hrs and 5hrs of solo. If you're flying on a weekly-ish basis, lets say you're to go solo at around 25hrs (could be less, could be more) add the extra solo time you're now looking at, say 30hrs. Then you're going to need a refresher course as it has been now over a month since you have been doing emergencies on a consistent basis + maybe a couple of extra hours in order to get up to scratch on some things you may have struggled with

So now we're getting pretty close to 40hrs... Let's say you pass your RPL. You can not fly with more than 1 passenger. The helicopters you can fly can only make "potatopotatopotato" sounds instead of the wooshy noises that sound attractive to you by now. You can't go further than 25nm away. You may find it very hard to be able to hire a helicopter with an RPL

Once you attach your Nav endorsement the figures become very questionable once we compare them to PPL

Okay, so this is where we open up CASA booklet and see what are the minimum hour requirements for a PPL are - https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/n ... icence.pdf ... *40hrs* for a much more superior license and training

Your training to a PPL standard will most likely be longer than 40hrs minimum (which is quite a low figure) but you will most likely feel a lot safer in a helicopter and will definitely be a much more competent pilot. But hey, if you do go for your RPL, start a blog here, I would be interested to see your progress and how it compares to the hypothetical scenario I have written out above. Afteral the numbers up there are only an average educated guess

Appreciate you taking the time to explain it mate, The PPL sounds like it would be the better option straight up - afterall a few more hours never hurt anyone.

Cheers
Lucky
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Fri Aug 24 2018, 00:11

As mentioned, without prior aviation experience, you are learning heli handling AND all the generic aviation bits same time and to be lot safer, such RPL min completion hrs aren't realistic.

Also, all the emergencies training throughout the training/increasing proficiency, add up.

Barely passing flight test vs being proficient beyond, are two things. You do learn lot more with FI onboard (except the solo confidence/DM).

Try not to have pax for while after finishing licence. Sounds silly, but get scare or two on your own first before being responsible for others.
Lucky_01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lucky_01 » Fri Aug 24 2018, 00:39

ChicoCheco wrote:As mentioned, without prior aviation experience, you are learning heli handling AND all the generic aviation bits same time and to be lot safer, such RPL min completion hrs aren't realistic.

Also, all the emergencies training throughout the training/increasing proficiency, add up.

Barely passing flight test vs being proficient beyond, are two things. You do learn lot more with FI onboard (except the solo confidence/DM).

Try not to have pax for while after finishing licence. Sounds silly, but get scare or two on your own first before being responsible for others.

100% agree mate, I much prefer the idea of spending the early freshly qualified days alone. Not dealing with someone in the cockpit whether it be talking or screaming :) would be alot better environment.

Cheers
Lucky
Ala rotante
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ala rotante » Fri Aug 24 2018, 05:58

Hi all,

From my personal as a “second” person experience:

Go for the PPL, the minimum hours and training will give you much more than a RPL.

A good friend of mine, lazy on studying, went for the easy option of RPL. He set an exam at 25 hours. I question him about general knowledge... he has no clue!!!
He carsh and died a month ago because he didn’t know what he was doing....
Under is the link of the incident ( sorry is in Italian but the picture is clear)
If you love your family mate, be serious and responsible and do the thing properly otherwise fishing is a better way

http://www.oggitreviso.it/cade-elicotte ... zzi-190557
)c/ Old Grumpy but Handsome Man 8)
ednnf

Postby ednnf » Tue Aug 28 2018, 03:36

Ala rotante wrote:Hi all,

Go for the PPL, the minimum hours and training will give you much more than a RPL.

A good friend of mine, lazy on studying, went for the easy option of RPL. He set an exam at 25 hours. I question him about general knowledge... he has no clue!!!
Under is the link of the incident ( sorry is in Italian but the picture is clear)
If you love your family mate, be serious and responsible and do the thing properly otherwise fishing is a better way

Seriously? Set the exam at 25 hours, this is impressive.
Ala rotante
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ala rotante » Tue Aug 28 2018, 13:22

Ednnf, is an Europe thing, EASA doesn’t cover the RPL that is making no difference between RPL(H) and RPL(A) so there are not flying schools teaching RPL.
The rules are set in a very weird way, well away from the easa safety standards. Also the instructors are not instructors. For example, if you are the owner of a aircraft you can literally start teaching “how to fly” is stealing money!!!
With 20 hours, fixed wings or rotorcraft you can set an exam that is basically few circuits of the field with an instructor, only after the exam the unlucky can fly solo... but at least they are not allowed to carry people!
In my friend case it was his first solo...
( sorry for my English I tried my best)
Lucky_01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lucky_01 » Wed Aug 29 2018, 08:30

Thanks mate, PPL it is.

Cheers
Lucky
Niko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Niko » Wed Aug 29 2018, 19:40

Ala rotante wrote:Ednnf, is an Europe thing, EASA doesn’t cover the RPL that is making no difference between RPL(H) and RPL(A) so there are not flying schools teaching RPL.
The rules are set in a very weird way, well away from the easa safety standards. Also the instructors are not instructors. For example, if you are the owner of a aircraft you can literally start teaching “how to fly” is stealing money!!!
With 20 hours, fixed wings or rotorcraft you can set an exam that is basically few circuits of the field with an instructor, only after the exam the unlucky can fly solo... but at least they are not allowed to carry people!
In my friend case it was his first solo...
( sorry for my English I tried my best)

Ala rotante wrote:Hi all,

First of all I’m sorry for your loss. It is dreadful what has happened and I’m wishing you well

It is importaint to keep in mind that this forum can be read by the general public; we need to be careful of what we say as in turn this will collectively shape peoples’ opinions

I just want to emphasise that this is an Australian Helicopter Pilot Network Site. Your comment makes it seem that RPL is not a safe license and will endanger a persons life here in Australia

This is not the case and paints the wrong picture to any aspiring pilot reading this forum

In Australia person teaching a student how to fly must be
1) A current, and qualified grade 1, 2 or 3 instructor
2) They must work for a flight school (unlike say other countries where they can teach independently)

On average, at about 20-25hrs we send people solo in Australia too, *regardless of what license they are going for* - this is how the syllabus works. They of course must be competent. This is also done with a couple of smaller ground tests and ‘a few circuits on the day with a qualified flight instructor’

When I made the comment above, I simply was emphasising the point - that in order to achieve competency to pass a flight test for an RPL, the minimum hour requirements set by CASA do not paint a realistic picture. You will be likely at almost PPL hours when you’re ready to sit a flight test, in which case it makes sense to go for your PPL as it’s a far superior license type

The differences in syllabus between the two licenses happen after the student goes solo; not before. Thus no one should be afraid or scared of going for their license - no matter which one, here in Australia
Ala rotante
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ala rotante » Thu Aug 30 2018, 06:27

Hi Niko,
Thanks he was a good friend.
My apologies for the way I wrote, you are absolutely right in all the points.
I just want to help. In this case, if somebody can afford it I don’t see the point to go for an RPL when a PPL can give more and in this I still believe more safe.
I wouldn’t like to hear for more incidents, unfortunately I know they still happening, I lost already few friends and my mistake is to take it too personal
Thanks for you comment!
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Thu Aug 30 2018, 11:48

Ala rotante wrote:Ednnf, is an Europe thing, EASA doesn’t cover the RPL that is making no difference between RPL(H) and RPL(A) so there are not flying schools teaching RPL.

I am sorry for your loss mate.

But RPLs do exist in Europe. They are called LAPL - Light Aircraft Pilot Licence
You can find all the requirements, syllabus, etc in Part FCL 100 onwards.

Some countries in Europe have a national licence for ultralight aircraft (470 ish kg), called Sports Pilot Licence or similar.
These remain under national legislation, so you will not find those regs in EASA.
Most requirements are very similar to those of a LAPL though.
RichyRooster69

Postby RichyRooster69 » Mon Feb 19 2024, 07:17

Cheers
Lucky

Hey Lucky,

Just joined the group and spotted this old thread. I'm in exactly the same predicament now, so was wondering what you ended up doing?

Cheers, Rich

Return to “Flight Training”