Sydney training company for CPL-H

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Bilko19
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Sydney training company for CPL-H

Postby Bilko19 » Wed Feb 14 2018, 08:23

Hi all, This is my first post here,

Im about to start my CPL-H in Sydney and could do with some advice & suggestions from anyone that can help select the best training company.

From what I can see there are 3 companies to select from in Bankstown. All seem reputable, and will be going next week to pay upfront and get underway.

My queries were;

1. Company that helps you out best at completion to get you in the industry. Flight time/ work.

2. Company with best helicopters & instructors.

3. Do all use the same theory structure?

4.- Is licence restricted to what models you have learnt on? - i.e: Is it best to learn on R22 & R44 or mix with cabri G2 & jetranger?.

A better learning experience is more important to me than cheaper cost. Excited to start this new chapter, Just want to do it right!.

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Bilko19 on Thu Feb 15 2018, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Sydney training company for CPL-H

Postby Fill-level » Wed Feb 14 2018, 08:58

Lesson Number 1 - Don't pay up front for anything.....

Go in and see the said operators, and ask them to show you where there graduates get there first jobs

You will need the right instructor that fits you, not the other way round, there instructors can be top gun instructors , if you don't understand there knowledge , its no good.

Your first job will likely be in a R44, so R22 and R44 for flow of training.

They all should follow the Casa Syllabus for CPL training...

Good Luck
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Wed Feb 14 2018, 10:20

Fill-level wrote:Lesson Number 1 - Don't pay up front for anything.....

Gotta agree with that! Also all that appears to be separate sometimes isn't. That said there are good training schools in the area United Aero at Camden were also doing training for a while, not sure if they are now. As Fill-level has said do your homework follow the syllabus and make sure that you are getting value for every dollar you spend. As a fellow late starter there is a future for you and sometimes a bit of snow on the roof helps.
Bilko19
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bilko19 » Wed Feb 14 2018, 11:19

Cheers for the info guys, will help woth my decision.

Yes, learned lesson 1 a long time ago.. meant once I found the right place I would pay in bulk for the savings.

Going to head out tomorrow and have a chat with a few to get this happening.

Thanks again
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELO1 » Wed Feb 14 2018, 12:54

I’ll back United Aero (yep, they are still on for training Evil Twin) good industry contacts, and a good hangar to be around for experience. Offering R22 and an R44 now I believe. I completed my training with them in 2016 and it gave me a leg up for my first job that’s for sure. An R44, as has been stated, will highly likely be the first aircraft you fly as a commercial pilot so that’s what you should aim for. Nothing wrong with Jetranger time however you probably won’t be flying one straight away.

I also second all Fill-Levels comments, the biggest one is finding an instructor that fits you. If you don’t understand what they’re teaching you, or you don’t get along with them then it’s not a healthy environment and you aren’t getting your money’s worth. Also you don’t want to be somewhere that you will chop and change instructors each flight that you do, so somewhere that’s more personal always helps.

Treat everything like it’s a job interview from the day you walk into their hangar enquiring about flight training, right the way through to finishing your CPL. You never know who’s eye you might catch and be able to land an opportunity quickly, the last thing you want is to be on someone’s wrong side from the get go.

Best of luck mate, stay safe and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
HELO1
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Wed Feb 14 2018, 20:24

HELO1 "Treat everything like it’s a job interview from the day you walk into their hangar enquiring about flight training, right the way through to finishing your CPL. You never know who’s eye you might catch and be able to land an opportunity quickly, the last thing you want is to be on someone’s wrong side from the get go"

Excellent advise!
_chopper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby _chopper » Wed Feb 14 2018, 22:28

HELO1 wrote:Treat everything like it’s a job interview from the day you walk into their hangar enquiring about flight training, right the way through to finishing your CPL. You never know who’s eye you might catch and be able to land an opportunity quickly, the last thing you want is to be on someone’s wrong side from the get go.

With this in mind, never forget that you are the customer. Flight training is expensive and your paying for a service. Don't let anyone make you feel like you can't ask questions, ask for things you want or have a say in your training.
I'll echo what others have said and make sure you like and get along with your instructor. The training cockpit can be a high pressure environment and you need a teacher that will adjust and respond to your needs as a student to get the most out of your training.
If you aren't getting what you want or feel you need speak to the CFI/HOO. If this doesn't have the result you want then you can always change instructors or even change schools.

I can give you the names of individual instructors I would recommend for both flying training and theory ground school in the Sydney area. If you are interested in that PM me.

Good Luck!
Bilko19
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bilko19 » Thu Feb 15 2018, 06:22

Spent the day speaking to operators and checking out the hangers.

All the advice has helped. Thankyou very much!!
Evil twin- I now know what you mean by “ All that appears separate sometimes isnt”

In the end all a great bunch of guys who provided alot of helpful info.

Still havnt checked out Camden, but its over another hour drive further, so prob a little far.

A few differences though,
- One does 2 hour flights instead of 1hr. Is this a good or bad way to go?
- Selection of R22 & R44 or Cabri G2 & R44.
- One offers all theory literature.

Im going to have to do a flight with 2 of them next week as I’m still unsure.
Last edited by Bilko19 on Thu Feb 15 2018, 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Feb 15 2018, 07:50

There is likely a good reason why military schools and a lot of civvy schools choose flights of 1.2 hrs.

It allows transit time, time to see a new sequence and practice it, and get home before the student's brain overloads.

I have also worked in a school that used 2 hr sorties, and the brain fatigue was really obvious after 1.5 hrs - apart from the fact that the lazy little pr1ck$ couldn't be bothered trying anyway, it was just JASM*

*Just Another Sausage Machine
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Feb 15 2018, 08:02

Eric Hunt wrote:There is likely a good reason why military schools and a lot of civvy schools choose flights of 1.2 hrs.

It allows transit time, time to see a new sequence and practice it, and get home before the student's brain overloads.

Have to agree. Additionally in the initial training shorter flights bug you out before overload and you fall of the back of the curve wasting your time and money. Later on 2 hr, or more in the case of nav flights, make perfect sense. Don't forget who is spending the money here, the school is probably only trying to save money on landing fees, they're not saving money on turbine cycles for example. There's no gain for you if the last half of a 2 hr flight is wasted as your bucket is full. Buyer beware.

ET
scaarj
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby scaarj » Thu Feb 15 2018, 08:11

PM sent
Bilko19
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bilko19 » Thu Feb 15 2018, 08:42

Definitely stick with the 1hr then.

Thanks for the advice guys
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Thu Feb 15 2018, 08:44

An hour or 1.2 is all you want to do. Any more than that is a waste of your time and money. Any school trying to sell you longer flights isn’t doing what’s best for you.

And remember you are the client, so you want what is best for you.

I’m not a flight school, just an operator, but that’s the advice I give to everyone. Also I would ask how many hours the instructors have , and what they have done outside of instructing/scenic flights....
Bilko19
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bilko19 » Thu Feb 15 2018, 08:48

“Also I would ask how many hours the instructors have , and what they have done outside of instructing/scenic flights...”

Great question to ask SuperF!

Cheers
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Thu Feb 15 2018, 10:06

Bilko19
Free advice.
If you want a career in aviation, Don’t mention any company names in your posts. (Very small world)
Good luck mate!
GF departing the zone.
There is always an option.
Bilko19
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bilko19 » Thu Feb 15 2018, 11:11

Didnt think I had anywhere.
Cheers
Biggles
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Biggles » Thu Feb 15 2018, 23:14

Yeah i think you did mention the now out of business mob but you edited that post last night

B
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Fri Feb 16 2018, 05:53

Biggles :idea:
Welcome back!
There is always an option.

Return to “Flight Training”