Getting Started advice required

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Turtle

Getting Started advice required

Postby Turtle » Tue Nov 14 2017, 12:44

Hi Guys and Gals,

Im looking at getting my CPL but off to a bad start, I went to a company (No names) for a look on Friday and booked in to start with a 1hr flight on the Monday but they were a no show without any warning or phone calls and were uncontactable. They are aware that it is a 1hr 20min drive from the city to the airfield. I wasn't impressed as I currently work away and only have 6 days at home so time is valuable.
They seem to be pretty reputable as a company (tourism and the likes) where I am but this put a sour taste in my mouth.

I was going to do the theory through correspondence as I have nothing to do after work (4 weeks) and on my week off try to get in about 5 hours a week flight time, once this job finishes in approx 5 months, I plan to finish off the schooling and flight hours more full time.
I am 38 which I am aware is old to start but I am tired off the s#!t in my industry. I have no missus or kids to tie me down and I love travelling around and as an industrial sparky I can supplement the income from time to time when required.

Questions I have are
Is this a good way to do it or am I better off doing it all through a school after I finish this job?

I have been pointed in the way of Advanced flight theory school which if required I can change from remote to in school if required which is the way I think I will go if im not 100% confident with the distance learning is going. Is this a reputable school?

Do all schools use the same books or are some better than others?

Can the flight time be done with various operators or do you have to stick to the same one?- I am considering giving this mob a go.

Thanks in advance, from what Iv'e read you all seem very helpful from what I've read in the posts.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Getting Started advice required

Postby Helicoil » Tue Nov 14 2017, 20:31

Turtle wrote:Hi Guys and Gals,
Questions I have are
Is this a good way to do it or am I better off doing it all through a school after I finish this job?

I have been pointed in the way of Advanced flight theory school which if required I can change from remote to in school if required which is the way I think I will go if im not 100% confident with the distance learning is going. Is this a reputable school?

Can the flight time be done with various operators or do you have to stick to the same one?- I am considering giving this mob a go.

Thanks in advance, from what Iv'e read you all seem very helpful from what I've read in the posts.

HI Turtle

Q1: Depending upon your own ability, you can try self-studying first and if you're struggling, attend a ground theory course. You may find that you'll need to devote a bit more time than 6 days to get through a single subject (presuming it starts on your first day off of course)

Q2&3: Not all schools use the same books - generally AFT are regarded as being a good source of reference material

Q3: Yes you can train at various schools - there are pros and cons to varying your training locations

Best of luck with your flight training - it's a fun challenge :)
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Wed Nov 15 2017, 04:48

Turtle,
I did a similar program to this years ago, I was a diesel fitter working on a FIFO mining job & doing flying training on my days off. Some suggestions -
- get the theory done first before you start flight training. I did all the study myself at home after hours & on days off for CPL, IREX, Ag rating etc. & scored very well on all of them. I loved the study as I was very interested in what I was learning so I found it easy, home study suited me but it might not suit you. As previously suggested give home study a go & if your struggling then sign up to a course. I used the Rob Rich home study course combined with the Bob Tait books I had from my fixed wing licence, all the info is there so I'm sure in todays market you'll find a good course. I've heard good reviews on AFT from friends of mine who did ATPL there.
- I started out doing flight training part time, with life happening around me I still hadn't completed my fixed wing PPL after 4 years. At that point I made a decision, get the CPL(H) within 1 year or give it away. I focused on the training & started out doing it on days off, this wasn't working out for me as I would go to the school for 4 days & be competing with 7 students for 1 aircraft. Very expensive. I went solo at that school, in the meantime I was scouting other schools for a better program. I found a reputable school (chopperline) which was in between groups of students so they had about 3 weeks of quiet time. I took holidays, flipped to that school & flew my ring out for 3 weeks. Passed the flight test & the rest is history. I got to do a lot of flying with Ken Amess, Russ Rielly & Tub Matheson as well, training which has stayed with me ever since. Some might disagree, but that experience taught me that it does matter who you learn with; I wouldn't recommend a school with low time instructors.
- The biggest hurdle to getting your first gig is being in the right place at the right time. You are in a more flexible family situation than I was so that is in your favour. I was a bit younger than you when I started but I found most operators were actually looking for someone a bit older as we aren't quite as cavalier as the young bucks. Leverage your maturity, & be prepared to put on the steel cap boots & join wires whenever & wherever you can for a few more years yet, low hour piloting wages can be a struggle to live off.
- "w@#k, w@#k, money in the bank. Poke, poke, now your broke". Stay single until you are established in the industry, or marry into money. This is my biggest life regret.

Good luck.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Wed Nov 15 2017, 09:01

Last edited by heli2o on Wed Nov 15 2017, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Wed Nov 15 2017, 09:02

heli2o wrote:
Heliduck wrote:- "w@#k, w@#k, money in the bank. Poke, poke, now your broke"

Gold :D **^** :D
Turtle

Postby Turtle » Wed Nov 15 2017, 13:32

Helicoil wrote:
Turtle wrote:Hi Guys and Gals,
Questions I have are

HI Turtle

Q1: Depending upon your own ability, you can try self-studying first and if you're struggling, attend a ground theory course. You may find that you'll need to devote a bit more time than 6 days to get through a single subject (presuming it starts on your first day off of course)

Q2&3: Not all schools use the same books - generally AFT are regarded as being a good source of reference material

Q3: Yes you can train at various schools - there are pros and cons to varying your training locations

Best of luck with your flight training - it's a fun challenge :)

Hi Helicoil,

Thanks for the Advice I will give the self study ago and as soon as this job finishes - Early to mid next year, I will Probably attend a ground school after work.

If I've made a good start at it, it wont be systems overload at the ground school.

Im looking forward to the challenge.
Turtle

Postby Turtle » Wed Nov 15 2017, 14:01

Heliduck wrote:Turtle,
I did a similar program to this years ago, I was a diesel fitter working on a FIFO mining job & doing flying training on my days off. Some suggestions -
- get the theory done first before you start flight training. I did all the study myself at home after hours & on days off for CPL, IREX, Ag rating etc. & scored very well on all of them. I loved the study as I was very interested in what I was learning so I found it easy, home study suited me but it might not suit you. As previously suggested give home study a go & if your struggling then sign up to a course. I used the Rob Rich home study course combined with the Bob Tait books I had from my fixed wing licence, all the info is there so I'm sure in todays market you'll find a good course. I've heard good reviews on AFT from friends of mine who did ATPL there.
- I started out doing flight training part time, with life happening around me I still hadn't completed my fixed wing PPL after 4 years. At that point I made a decision, get the CPL(H) within 1 year or give it away. I focused on the training & started out doing it on days off, this wasn't working out for me as I would go to the school for 4 days & be competing with 7 students for 1 aircraft. Very expensive. I went solo at that school, in the meantime I was scouting other schools for a better program. I found a reputable school (chopperline) which was in between groups of students so they had about 3 weeks of quiet time. I took holidays, flipped to that school & flew my ring out for 3 weeks. Passed the flight test & the rest is history. I got to do a lot of flying with Ken Amess, Russ Rielly & Tub Matheson as well, training which has stayed with me ever since. Some might disagree, but that experience taught me that it does matter who you learn with; I wouldn't recommend a school with low time instructors.
- The biggest hurdle to getting your first gig is being in the right place at the right time. You are in a more flexible family situation than I was so that is in your favour. I was a bit younger than you when I started but I found most operators were actually looking for someone a bit older as we aren't quite as cavalier as the young bucks. Leverage your maturity, & be prepared to put on the steel cap boots & join wires whenever & wherever you can for a few more years yet, low hour piloting wages can be a struggle to live off.
- "w@#k, w@#k, money in the bank. Poke, poke, now your broke". Stay single until you are established in the industry, or marry into money. This is my biggest life regret.

Good luck.

Hi Heliduck,

Thanks for the Advice, pretty much seems like you've done what I am hoping to achieve. Im going to take long service leave after this job and concentrate on the CPL but for the next few months get a head start on the theory.
Home study suits me to a certain extent as I can figure something out before going on to the next topic where as school is a lot of cramming. If required i can do that after, which i probably will for some of the courses.
I did look into Chopperline and if my first school doesn't work out then I will be heading down there.
The Mob that stuffed me around seem to be good apart from that first incident so I will give them a try. From what I can gather it is one on one so there is no competing with other students for flight time.
The instructor I met with said the exact same as you that a lot of companies are after more mature guys with life experiences.
Im staying single, I love Asia and I ain't going to marry into money over there. haha

Thanks again your information was extremely helpfull in the way I will go about getting my CPL.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Nov 16 2017, 05:51

The theory itself is not particularly hard at all. It would be equivalent of year 10 of high school at worst. What is hard is having more things going on in your life as a result of being in the work force, out of school etc. Try to see if you can partition off a section of your day/week to dedicate to study and then you should be fine.
Turtle

Postby Turtle » Thu Nov 16 2017, 12:45

Jabberwocky wrote:The theory itself is not particularly hard at all. It would be equivalent of year 10 of high school at worst. What is hard is having more things going on in your life as a result of being in the work force, out of school etc. Try to see if you can partition off a section of your day/week to dedicate to study and then you should be fine.

Hi Jabberwocky,

Section of the day shouldn't be a problem, finish work and back to camp, and the small dog box provided, no city or distractions around here.

Cheers mate.
helicopternewie

Postby helicopternewie » Sun Nov 19 2017, 19:10

Hey Turtle,
I have the full AFT theory pack and accessories that I’m finished with and happy to sell at a fair price if you’re interested. Let me know and we can discuss a price and postage.
Bilko19
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bilko19 » Wed Feb 14 2018, 07:19

helicopternewie wrote:Hey Turtle,
I have the full AFT theory pack and accessories that I’m finished with and happy to sell at a fair price if you’re interested. Let me know and we can discuss a price and postage.

Did you still have your Theory pack helicopternewie?
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Fri Feb 16 2018, 02:34

I have a set,pm me if you still need it.
Lucky_01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lucky_01 » Wed Apr 18 2018, 06:01

How'd you go Turtle?

Im in the mines in a Lifestyle roster, playing Auto Elec. I am considering doing something very similar to you... Pay for my training straight out of my mining income. How has it worked for you so far?

Return to “Flight Training”