B206 to 206L3 differences training

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
RichKann
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

B206 to 206L3 differences training

Postby RichKann » Wed Nov 8 2017, 05:59

Hi everyone,
I have been trying to find information on differences training from a B206 to an L3. Does anyone have any information that could help?
Cheers
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: B206 to 206L3 differences training

Postby hand in pants » Wed Nov 8 2017, 20:37

Other than W&B and some other paperwork things I didn't think there were any differences...........................................
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
rekkas

Postby rekkas » Wed Nov 8 2017, 21:03

The bell 206 book by Phil Croucher goes into some good details on the differences between the 206 and Long Ranger.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Nov 8 2017, 21:57

From another forum:
a. Weight & balance - obvious differences there, need to know the limits and how centre of gravity moves as fuel burns. Also there's the 'standard pax loading' system if the particular machine is placarded for it, ie pilot plus one up front, must be at least as many in the rear seat as the middle row. If not, W&B must be calculated.

b. Fuel system - two forward cells plus the main, ejector pumps sending the fuel back - possibility of up to 180 lb fuel unusable with boost pump/ejector pump failure (this may vary depending on the setup, I think the earlier Ls may have had a slightly different tank arrangement). Also 3 drain points rather than 1 on the 206.

c. Modulated start to control TOT rather than opening to the start mark (will vary with type of fuel control unit - Bendix vs CECO).

d. Different engine limits, eg TOT, Tq vs. airspeed for mast bending limit - obviously some flight manual study required for this.

e. Fuel gauge switch on some models to see either fuel in the forward cells or total.

Being a different airframe & engine setup there are numerous small differences in what you see on the preflight inspection, it sits more nose up on the skids, has a longer footprint, feels a bit different to fly, but overall not difficult for someone who's familiar with the Jet Ranger.

I've gone on a bit here, but in summary (for our system):
1. 206 endorsement covers the L, so instructor & student should make sure the differences are highlighted.
2. Your flying orders should show what must be covered in endorsement training, so that will indicate what needs to be emphasised when there are differences between variants of the same type.
3. The above mentioned points are what I've found to be the main things I need to think about when getting out of a Jet Ranger and into a Long Ranger.

and also:
The main points have been covered.

Mass & Balance Z chart & calculation.

Fuel and potential unusuable in event of boost failure.

Start modulation of fuel, but keep it at the hot end of the start range.

Selective loading

Different engine to 206B2/3 (generally but not always) - when testing anti icing TOT reduces generally rather than increasing.

The only other area I add is if the L1 is also IFR certified, in which case there is a whole lot of other avionics on board/ force trim/ stabs etc.
RichKann
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RichKann » Mon Nov 13 2017, 09:00

Thank you for all the replies and information.
Arm out the window
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Arm out the window » Sun Nov 19 2017, 09:17

That quote was by me I think! Not too much s#!t in it, which is good ... mustn't have been drinking and posting at the same time.

Return to “Flight Training”