Simulator training.

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
ChopperStudent

Simulator training.

Postby ChopperStudent » Sun Jun 11 2017, 03:17

G'day Bladeslapper's.
As I am only new to my Helicopter training and the world of aviation I am keen to know your thoughts on Simulator Training. As I am currently just learning to fly one of these magnificent machines < 5 hours, I would really like to hear your thoughts about possibly combining simulator training alongside my practical training. Are there any perceived positives/negatives to doing this as far as my formal training or would it be a waste of my finances at this time?. From my view I was thinking that if the hourly rate is viable, it may be beneficial for some of the aspects of handling and coordination?.
As I said I am new to this game so any thoughts you may have are valued.
"I am here to Learn. The machine can teach me a far greater lesson than I can teach it."
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Simulator training.

Postby Eric Hunt » Sun Jun 11 2017, 04:31

Unless the sim is a full-motion high-end type, it will have a few characteristics which do not follow the real aircraft.

There is a high chance that you will learn some inputs which will be totally wrong for the real thing, and will slow down your learning while you un-learn these actions. Negative habit transfer will cost you time and money.

Sims have a huge place in the industry, for systems knowledge, engine starts, checklists, emergency ops, instrument and night flying, but for the basics, you need your backside on a seat to feel the inputs and create the correct muscle memory.
ChopperStudent

Postby ChopperStudent » Sun Jun 11 2017, 05:15

Thank Eric, I had seen that there was a full motion simulator at Bankstown that advertised training. I will give it a miss and just concentrate on what I am being taught in the real thing.
"I am here to Learn. The machine can teach me a far greater lesson than I can teach it."
helmet spider
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helmet spider » Sun Jun 11 2017, 05:35

What he said!
Sims have their place and are awesome tool
But not for what you are looking at

HS
Blade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Blade » Tue Jun 13 2017, 05:59

Having trained a few pilots, I can say with hand on heart that YES a simulator makes a big difference in your training. I wouldn't pay for it as the benefits can be had with a simple FSX/P3D setup. Using the simulator will not get you hovering and doing pirouettes like a pro but will help enforce some basic attitude controls, instrument familiarisation, handling and basic flying skills freeing up some cognitive space for that mechanical learning hand-eye co-ordination.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Jun 13 2017, 06:37

Ive got Lockheed Martins P3D and its amazing, great for instrument work and procedural aspects. Ive had Microsoft Flight Sim's since the mid 90's and the the latest products such as P3D on the market are a great tool.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Wed Jun 14 2017, 10:01

Helicopter Flight Control Sets

https://pro-flight-trainer-com.myshopif ... -full-sets

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'

Return to “Flight Training”