training

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
blaser

training

Postby blaser » Sat Mar 11 2017, 08:40

hi guy
I have just started doing a CPL in south Australia.
Im keen to move to cairns for this dry season, I would like to know if any of you guys train at any of the schools up there ???
I have seen whats on the internet only.
just looking for some feed back thanks.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: training

Postby havick » Sat Mar 11 2017, 20:24

I think Nautilus is up there, haven't heard anything bad about them.

Good luck with getting your qualifications.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
jetA1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jetA1 » Sun Mar 12 2017, 00:05

GBR uup in Mareeba would be your best bet
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Sun Mar 12 2017, 01:46

GBR run 22's...44's...66's plus the bigger turbines.........they're doing a special rate for their new 44 cadet ( cheaper than a 44 raven ) Ask about their pre pay deals, rates are cheaper again for the whole fleet.
If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Mar 12 2017, 07:13

jab160 wrote:GBR run 22's...44's...66's plus the bigger turbines.........they're doing a special rate for their new 44 cadet ( cheaper than a 44 raven ) Ask about their pre pay deals, rates are cheaper again for the whole fleet.

Never prepay for anything
spcrewie
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby spcrewie » Sun Mar 12 2017, 07:53

Couldn't agree more with Havick's comment. Be VERY wary of paying anything up front. Obviously there's a great risk and many people have been burnt over the years.
blaser

Postby blaser » Thu Mar 16 2017, 09:25

Thanks for your help boys
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Thu Mar 16 2017, 19:41

Well to say your should never pay up front is not quite accurate or appropriate.

If the Flight School is also a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) then there are legal policies in place that require a student to pay up front in accordance with a policy written by the Company and approved by the Federal Government.
This money is also insured independently through a Tuition Assurance Scheme.
So paying up front should be no problems if you go with a school who has that authority.

If you go to a school who is not a RTO then those checks and balances are not in place and you then reply on the integrity of the Company to be stewards of your money and who honor their commitments. In these cases then, make informed decisions and select your school of choice wisely. In these cases it is always best to minimize your exposure by paying in smaller blocks or as you go. (this is what Havick is referring to)

Good luck.
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Thu Mar 16 2017, 20:30

GBR's do prepays from $5k......( from memory it's about $50...60 hr cheaper )
If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Mar 16 2017, 23:57

jab160 wrote:GBR's do prepays from $5k......( from memory it's about $50...60 hr cheaper )

Never pre-pay in aviation. The company may go under and you lose your cash, or you decide you don't like where you're training and you have a very difficult time getting any cash back to go somewhere else.

Mike Becker is mostly correct about RTO schools being less of a risk but I still know of pre-pay students that went to RTO schools that lost out.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Mar 17 2017, 23:23

Hey havick, what rto school did that????
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Fri Mar 17 2017, 23:27

Really think I want a defamation/libel suit against me?

I stand by my advice to pay as you go no matter what school you goto.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Sat Mar 18 2017, 04:11

Nothing is guaranteed!
I was an Ops Manager and Senior Trainer with an RTO and turned up one morning with the premises unoccupied except for student desks and some rubbish in the back office.

The rubbish contained some receipts substantial withdrawals throughout the week from an account number not familiar to me at the time.
We were mid courses and I am still owed funds as well.
An RTO may be a noble activity but its not infallible.

What havick quotes is a reality, not a figment.
Keep it flying, don't quit!
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sat Mar 18 2017, 06:00

But havick, it's not defamation/libel if it's true. Probably shouldn't make that statement without being able to back it up. If you can't name the name, maybe best not to make the statement.

Just saying..............
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby robaussie99 » Sat Mar 18 2017, 07:10

hand in pants wrote:But havick, it's not defamation/libel if it's true. Probably shouldn't make that statement without being able to back it up. If you can't name the name, maybe best not to make the statement.

I'll bite.

Stuart Caton and "global rescue" at the time, now antipodean aviation was a registered RTO and took my money.

Never prepay for anything upfront. Ever.
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Sat Mar 18 2017, 08:42

There are some really interesting points being made in this thread.

Havic is 100% correct in what he says about not paying too much up front. Equally what Mike Becker states with regards to RTO's having additional oversight placed on them to safeguard against unscrupulous operators. Unfortunately however even these checks and balances seem to have ended in tears in the past for some.

If it were me looking for a place to train and I was being offered "reduced prices" for a block of hours I wouldn't pass with anything until the hours had been flown or the training delivered! Are the companies that are offering these discounts of $40 - $50 per hour that cash strapped that they need large sums of our $$$ to keep them afloat? :shock: :shock: I would probably be looking at the next on the list if honest.

One final thing and I am no expert on the topic, but I think there are some legal ramifications if companies take more than $1500 without placing that money in a separate holding account.

Good luck with your training wherever you decide on.

RB
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sat Mar 18 2017, 08:48

hand in pants wrote:But havick, it's not defamation/libel if it's true. Probably shouldn't make that statement without being able to back it up. If you can't name the name, maybe best not to make the statement.

Wanna bet the farm on that? Are you a barrister?

Anyway the thread has gone off topic. I'm just looking out for a newbie finding their way through the training side without being fleeced.

By the way it doesn't have to be a company going under for someone to lose their money in part or in full. All it takes is for the student to move to another location, not like the instruction or a gist of other reasons they decide not to continue training at an operator. Do you really think they will get their money back without a fight? Yes some great companies will have no problems giving the cash back but equally as many won't.
Probbo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Probbo » Sat Mar 18 2017, 12:43

Blaser
Nautilus and GBR are your only training options in Cairns. A couple of hours south there's a training school in Townsville.
GBR have an established school at Mareeba and have experienced instructors.Nautilus are getting started out of Cairns and most of their pilots have instructing experience with an ATO CFI.
As previously discussed in numerous training threads on this site, you need to visit both schools to get a feel of which one will best suit your situation and maybe post training employment/industry progression.
In my opinion, if you can save yourself some money by pre paying 5 or 10 hour blocks do it.
Enjoy the journey!
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Tue Mar 21 2017, 12:58

If you get anything from this.....run run as far as possible and don't look back any other industry has way more opportunities with more reward. Take heade and run
Dem winds are gonna blow
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Mar 21 2017, 21:45

blaser, mate, if you want to fly helicopters, go for it. Do your training where you feel happy. Pay as you go and keep copies of your training

Yes it's a hard industry to break into, but the rewards are there. The work is satisfying, fun and you will meet some genuinely nice, helpful people along the way. You will meet some dicks as well, but, they are in every industry.

Study hard, work hard, if you drink, drink hard but don't tell anybody. The authority can be painful at times but the majority of the people you'll have to deal with are okay. Don't stop studying after you get you licence, do your NVFR stuff, do the IREX, do the ATPL stuff. It never ends.

Just because others have made mistakes before you only means that you can learn from their mistakes.
Don't work for free or cheap. If you don't know, ask, if who you ask doesn't know, ask someone else.
If you make a mistake, don't be worried about telling others, maybe they'll learn from you.

There's always the chance you can have Rotorpilot's job, he doesn't sound to happy with it..................................

Return to “Flight Training”