dangerous goods

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
crow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

dangerous goods

Postby crow » Sat Jan 21 2017, 01:09

Just wondering if an operator is permitted to replace a label which has become detached?
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: dangerous goods

Postby ozloadie » Sat Jan 21 2017, 02:42

What does the label indicate?

Steve
Keep it flying, don't quit!
crow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby crow » Sat Jan 21 2017, 03:44

Is is a question in the dangerous goods awareness course. I just for the life of me can't find an answer
haywire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby haywire » Sat Jan 21 2017, 03:53

Hey Mate, since this post is about dangerous goods. im needing to do my course online. just wondering if you know the best company/website to do one through? cheers
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Sat Jan 21 2017, 04:27

Technically, no, the only person who can attach a label to cargo already packed, labelled and entered onto a shippers declaration is the same person who did it in the first place, the originator.

Also technically, if time/space made that remedy impracticable, a Dangerous Cargo Accept officer where the cargo item is located, could unpack the cargo item, inspect it, repack it and relabel it to the required standard of the original package that was intended, then complete a fresh Shippers Declaration with that DC Accept's signature. (this would requiure also informing the agent who completed the first Shippers Declaration being informed of what was happening). The new Shippers Declaration would have to be included in the ships papers. (to avoid confusion, a note can be made on the new Shippers Declaration that it was a repack of the first Shippers Declaration serial number to preserve the paper train.)

There should be a refernce to this contingency in the IATA DGR's Shippers section and the Labelling section.

Note: check the date the consignment was packed and the first Shippers Declaration was signed. If that was the end of the previous year (December) and the cargo is being moved January when the label fell off, the second process has to be completed with the current years IATA DGR's as the original would have been done with thebtears before.

If the cargo is moved via a succession of stages, some agents may require handling labels to be attached which should be indicated on the progressive admin.

At any time a Dangerous Goods Aware person has a problem, the first person they should source is a Dangerous Goods Accept person who should be able to solve the problem.
Hope this helps.
Steve
crow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby crow » Sat Jan 21 2017, 05:08

Thanks Steve. That makes sense.
Haywire I did it through blue tongue helicopters as a correspondence course not sure who else does it
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELO1 » Sat Jan 21 2017, 05:28

Haywire,

I did my course online through Avstar Solutions pretty simple and straight forward and your certificate is available immediately

HELO1
HELO1
haywire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby haywire » Sat Jan 21 2017, 05:36

Thanks Crow and HELO1, much appreciated!
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Sat Jan 21 2017, 11:39

Crow,
Further to my last,

The IATA DGR's section 7.2.6 should be "Affixing of Labels" - section 7.2.6.1 should be "General" - at the foot of that section is a "Note" which says, See 9.3.7 for the replacement of labels during transport.
Section 9 is "Handling".
Section 9.3.7 "Replacement of Labels.

That's out of an old IATA DGR's; The page numbers in the this years edition may be different to mine and there may be added information which is why I have only given the section passage titles, they usually don't change much at all.
This info should nail the answer and references to your original question .
Let me know if the info doesn't gel.
Steve
crow
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby crow » Tue Jan 24 2017, 19:46

Thanks Steve
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings