Training helicopters

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Ranger
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Training helicopters

Postby Ranger » Wed Apr 5 2006, 09:19

I've read some topics on the H300 and they seem like a fantastic training helicopter. I'm just curious on how these machines compare to the R22. What really should you be training in?

Secondly, is it worthwhile to get an endorsement on another machine at the end of your training? I notice that some shcools offer an endorsement on a 206, but doesn't this have implications of insurance? Wouldn't an R44 be more worthwile to enhance job prospects?
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Apr 5 2006, 10:51

The H300 is a better trainer. You should train in a R22 as your first job will most likely be in a R22 or R44. :idea:

You are correct about R44 endorsement :idea:

skypig 8) 8)
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby bellslapper » Thu Apr 6 2006, 00:05

You can also fall into the trap, like some do and think that because you have a list of endorsements the job prospects increase, in some case’s the only thing that increases is the monthly repayments, or a decrease in the savings account, best to do the theory subjects such as IREX and ATPL, while the CPL theory is still fresh, if that’s the way you want to go.
It isn’t the endorsement list that gets you your first job, it’s supply and demand, with a splash of personality.
8)
helitim

I duno...

Postby helitim » Fri Sep 15 2006, 10:35

i dont agree, i feel that you should learn in a r22 simply because they are alot more unstable than the 300, so it would be alot easier to go from the robbie to the 300... also there more job's in the robbies
phugoyd

R44

Postby phugoyd » Fri Sep 15 2006, 11:03

As most entry level jobs are on a R44 these days and their cyclic gets some getting used to i would say a R22 but once you know how to fly it doesnt take long to change machines if you trained on h300. I would spend as much time improving your take off, landing and in IGE manouvers as this is what most people feel and see and first impressions count when you have a test flight.

Also it costs you nothing to sit in a machine and know where everything is and how to start and stop the thing effortlessly. Hours spent dry running through these proceedures makes a big impression, you have more mental space to impress in your spacial awareness and ability to react to the unexpected.

Employers dont want to spend lots of time and money waiting for you to be confident so if you can show confidents and an ability to make command decisions you will look like a good prospect.

Good luck
Freewheelin'
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Freewheelin' » Sat Sep 16 2006, 01:01

I would suggest if you have the opportunity, use both the H300 & R22. The H300 is more stable than the R22 so you tend to develop basic hovering a little quicker - good for your confidence, however it does not have a governor so you learn how to control the rotor RPM, something the R22 will not! ( A very important skill that gets over looked sometimes ). The R22 correlation cam / governor is very effective and does most of the work for you, however, hovering the R22 requires a great deal more accuracy, practice and patients. It tends to develop your handling skills a little more precisely! You may have heard that "the R22 is one of, if not the hardest helicopter to hover!" I would agree with that (comparing the ones I have flown) - I agree with Skypig, if you want to continue down the Instrument and ATPL path get them out the way early while you are still in the study mood! Endorsements can be a hard decision. Think about what you are getting for your $$. Some places offer cheap turbine endorsements, always a good thing as we all appreciate the $$, just ensure it is what you want and you do actually get an endorsement not just exposure to staright and level.

Good Luck!
Freewheelin'
helitim

hovering

Postby helitim » Sun Sep 17 2006, 08:10

arent squirrels pretty difficult to hover? i wouldnt know from experience but from what i have heard they are really touchy
CL1/2pV2A
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CL1/2pV2A » Sun Sep 17 2006, 08:17

hey helitim,
christchurch helicopters or garden city? 8)
Master Cylinder
200th Member!
200th Member!

Re: hovering

Postby Master Cylinder » Sun Sep 17 2006, 12:40

helitim wrote:arent squirrels pretty difficult to hover? i wouldnt know from experience but from what i have heard they are really touchy

Taught on the Squirrel for a few years. Truth is that the description of 'balancing on top of a big ball' fairly describes the hover...challenging to be sure. However, if you can hover a Squirrel, you're in like flynn with anything else...teaches good technique for hovering...the soft touch.

MC
To fly is human, to hover...divine!
Low Time
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Low Time » Tue Sep 19 2006, 10:50

My old instructer many moons ago said "If you can fly a Robbie you can fly anything." I beleive he was right. That said the H300 is fun to fly as well, but the R22 seems to demand more of your skills thus improving them.

:D

Return to “Flight Training”