Training in America

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
tail wind
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Training in America

Postby tail wind » Sun Aug 30 2015, 08:51

Hey all,

Apologies if this has been asked on previous forums, I have looked through the threads but couldn't seem to find any info.

I am relatively new to training for my CPL, and before i go any further I'd like to look into possibly completing my training in America. Does anyone know of any companies that are worth contacting that will be able to give me an idea of what's involved?

I know there is bound to be different views on this, but any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

TW
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Training in America

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Aug 30 2015, 09:20

pop; pop;
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Sun Aug 30 2015, 09:42

Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Sun Aug 30 2015, 18:28

your first question would be what do you want to do with your CPL. If it is to work back here then you may need quite some hours o'seas to validate it back here,thus you would need work permits o'seas.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Mon Aug 31 2015, 19:12

Well, the poor AUD/USD rate takes some of the financial advantage away. Good for Aus based schools, bad for me saving in AUD for spending elsewhere..

As I mentioned before, while there are 100hr integrated or until the CAR 5 CPL requirements trained towards during transition, it's not as convenient or 'needed' to train in the US. The bias from prospective employers, added costs of travel/housing.

I tried not to reply, as I did plenty of 'preaching' or debunking some myths about how it's not cheaper in the end etc, in the past.

BUT, Robinsondog perpetuates some unsubstantiated rumours. Subject to proficiency, and meeting licence issue hourly experience (command, dual, type, night, instrument etc, which at the moment is minimal), one can easily do, say 10hrs training in Oz for CPL flight test for the 'casual' 125hr CPL. There are also fixed wing hour allowances for us flying more than rotary only.

I heard/read rumours here about CASA supposedly preparing some regs about 300 or 400 hrs flight time to convert foreign licence. That was few years since seeing that written first time, yet not reality.

Yes, some countries may indeed have higher than basic CPL requirements, for overseas licence holders, but that's for DIRECT VALIDATIONS or temporary recognition etc. A la the previous Special validation for temp work contracts for TC Canada issued licence holders for commercial activity in Australia. I don't know how it'd work from now onwards. CASA's discretion or grandfathering former special validations, that's their biz.

Still, back to topic.
There are no extra requirements for converting foreign licence to full CASA equivalent. I have not seen any mention of that, nor the hourly experience to meet, on form 61-4A or the guidance.
ARN, Medical
Getting foreign licence verified
CHUF, air law (now special conv code) passes
Training to proficiency for flight test
Flight test pass
pay, wait, get it in post

If anyone claims to know better/otherwise, please do provide links to official CASA information.

It will not really work, imposing double the hours moving foreign licence AND meeting all the local issue requirements and passing theory and flight tests.
So take me. I got 500hrs mostly from US. I am going to do Australia CPL and FI has been on the plans. Both proficiency based conversion+flight tests. I am not asking CASA to hand me CPL privileges (without flight test and theory passes as prescribed) so they can't really insist I have hourly experience beyond what they ask for, when Australia based pilots go and do flight test after Australian training for Australian licence.

The 105 vs 125hrs 'casual' is obvious case where people can't expect to do tad training in Oz, with barely 100hrs total flight time. But I mentioned aiming for 100hrs of flying/training abroad and then do 5hrs then flight test is neither realistic, nor plausible due to regulations. The short CPL 'module' reductions does not apply.

Unless doing fixed wing to heli add-on somewhere (crediting FW experience), or doing 100hr Canadian CPL course, one would likely show up from overseas with 150-185hrs anyway.

Flight hour on civil certified ICAO country registry aircraft (and not going into home/kitbuilts, RAA, military only, Oz, US elsewhere), training, solo, day or night is just that. Unless CASA write and parliament passes regs stipulating all experience to be gained on VH- registered aircraft only, which would be against ICAO principles, having double meter just isn't realistic, licensing wise.

Return to “Flight Training”