R44 Heavy Landing (crashed) Broome

Got a good story? Tell it here.
pilotheli
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

R44 Heavy Landing (crashed) Broome

Postby pilotheli » Fri Sep 7 2012, 23:24

Does anyone know what happened with the Broome Helicopter Services R44 that was heavy landed (crashed) on a road just north of Broome yesterday? All walked away, but apparently the tail boom was badly damaged (possibly cut off).

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... ter-crash/
truthinbeer
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: R44 Heavy Landing (crashed) Broome

Postby truthinbeer » Sat Sep 8 2012, 01:58

"The man, who asked not be named, said he had to wait on the road until the rotor stopped spinning before he could continue on his way."

Damn inconvenient.....
gargs123

Postby gargs123 » Mon Feb 4 2013, 12:30

Came across this one from ABC News. Same operator I believe. Sentencing issued today, will be interesting to see what CASA dish out.

Story from 21st Jan in ABc radio news:

A Broome pilot has been found guilty of flying a helicopter unsafely in the Kimberley more than four years ago.

Joseph Peppe Calandra, of Broome Helicopter Services, appeared in the Broome Magistrates Court last week on three safety-related charges after an investigation by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

In August 2008 Calandra flew two tourists to a remote fishing spot on the banks of the Fitzroy River.

The court heard upon landing, the helicopter's blade's were damaged after hitting tree foliage.

CASA's issue with the incident was the fact Calandra flew his customers back to Broome before reporting the incident and failed to call an aircraft engineer to inspect the damage.

He's been found guilty of two of the three charges and is due for sentencing next month.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Feb 4 2013, 19:52

I doubt its one and the same, since the article above refers to a crash four years ago, where the original post refers to a crash in Sept 2012.

Apologies, yes same operator. Different incident.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Wed Feb 6 2013, 06:36

Crikey....sentencing for hitting a tree....we used to do it on purpose
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Wed Feb 6 2013, 07:29

Nawty wrote:Crikey....sentencing for hitting a tree....we used to do it on purpose

Ah yes but the R44 is a whole lost more sensitive than the old B47 and a darn site less forgiving.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
mickjoiebill
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby mickjoiebill » Wed Feb 6 2013, 17:08

Was it engaged in aerial work?

Mickjoebill
Cleanskin
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Cleanskin » Fri Feb 15 2013, 04:41

I head it was a $5000 fine to the owner (Joe) of Broome Helicopters, for the 2008 incident.

Return to “There I was...”