You couldn't make it up

Got a good story? Tell it here.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

You couldn't make it up

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Feb 27 2003, 04:06

Recent correspondance with ASL, the names have been changed to protect the guilty, read from the bottom up.

Hi *******

Is the irony of the form that you have attached lost on you people? The very first line of candidate information which, and I quote 'Mandatory', required is ASL Client ID. Would that be the client ID that I already have? Or is that the Client ID that I don't have and am having to fill out the form for because I don't have a client ID?

There is also, I might add, the $20 charge for a Printed result (if printed by ASL)?! Whom else is going to print it? The Sultan of Brunei? Might be cheaper than $20 dollars for a piece of paper. I really shouldn't be surprised. $99 to speak to a computer for 15 minutes is a really selling a PC short after all. $400 an hour for something that costs little more than a lightbulb an hour to run really is enough to send ASL bankrupt. Probably a good job that man went to the moon 40 years ago, they couldn't afford the landing fee's if they went now. Probably have to get landing permission from the man in the moon too, before embarking on a mission to see if he exists.

It's astonishing that we have survived so long, the next generation has my sympathy.

I am deeply disappointed.

On 21/07/2009, at 9:55 AM, ******* ******* wrote:

Hi ****,

With regards to you booking online exams, unfortunately you will not be able to do this cause ASL has since moved onto the 21st century and we now have a new
internal program that we use, unfortunately you will have to be issued with a new ASL client ID.
The new client Id number will have to be issued from me, therefore you will have to send me a manual application which I will process and allocate you with a new number.

I have attached an application form, you can fill the form out and e-mail or fax back to me.

Regards,

-----Original Message-----

To: ***** ********
Subject: English Language Exam

I have been trying to book an English Language Exam, ironically being
born and raised speaking no other language isn't enough! Now your
hopeless computer system tells me that I don't exist at all! And this
desipte the thousands of dollars that ASL has taken from me for exams
and flight test fees!

My ASL client ID is and has always been ***** my date of birth is
**/**/**** and I'd be astounded if that changed before hell freezes
over. For crying out loud I'm even trying to allow you to extort more
money from me! Finally ASL joins the 21st century and nothing works,
what a surprise!

I would like a login and password:-
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: You couldn't make it up

Postby skypig » Thu Feb 27 2003, 07:22

Please, I’m begging you, don’t mention ASL ever again….. :( Oc:= Oc:= Oc:=
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Thu Feb 27 2003, 20:33

I know we've had the ASIC discussion before but it's a classic situation where they won't accept your ASIC as proof of ID, even if it's still current!

And how on the renewal form they ask you again for your place of residence for the last 10 years, just in case you've managed to go back in time in the last 2 years and changed where you lived!
Headset
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Headset » Thu Feb 27 2003, 21:02

I spoke to the woman 3 times took about half an hour to eventually get my client ID sorted out. To then pay the $100 to talk to the computer to then pay another $50 to CAA to put it on my licence. My god if this isn't blatent money making i don't know what is......
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Fri Feb 28 2003, 00:26

I spoke to the woman 3 times took about half an hour to eventually get my client ID sorted out. To then pay the $100 to talk to the computer to then pay another $50 to CAA to put it on my licence. My god if this isn't blatent money making i don't know what is......

And tht's after they made PPL exam's mandatory even for CPL students and at the same time upping the exam fee's by nearly 50%, effectively increasing revenue from each student by 100%!

Unsurprisingly I haven't had a reply from my latest tirade, was fun though. :lol:
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Mar 1 2003, 19:46

Don't you just love the application of logic and common sense with those guys?

Last exam I sat a couple months back I tried to use my ASIC for ID as well and as the Captain experienced, they would not accept it. I was absolutely dumbfounded, but enjoyed the irony of the situation, as did many others who also had planned on using their ASICs in the same manner. Outside of the airport environment, it seems the ASIC has no recognition and is about as useful as a library card for ID purposes.

I just hope no one starts a thread on CASA and their myriad of mistakes and inconveniences caused, not to mention those fabulous exams, lack of a dedicated helicopter ATPL exam structure etc....better stop there, the blood pressure is rising...
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Sat Apr 7 2012, 16:34

I believe young people today are prohibited from using common sense...

I remember traveling through security at BNE for an international trip... Bags were checked and had my small carry on with toiletries for the 14 hr flight... was stopped by a young pretty security agent and informed that my toothpaste had to be confiscated... nothing more than 4 ounces allowed (not exactly sure how much it was but whatever, my toothpaste was labled 1 Oz over the allowable limit)... I pointed out to the pretty young thing that there was probably only about an ounce left in the tube as it was almost completely used up... "no sir, you will have to discard it or check it as the lable states its an Oz over the allowable size"! I asked her if I had a gallon jug of liquid and the lable on it stated 3 Oz would I be allowed to take that on board???

I almost got arrested... she won... my toothpaste ended up in the trash... I don't remember how much I paid at a duty free store for a 1 Oz tube of toothpaste but I do remember feeling robbed.
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Sun Apr 8 2012, 06:34

You should have squeezed the 1oz in it onto your toothbrush and asked if that was ok.
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Mon Apr 9 2012, 05:20

Do you still get an exemption if you have a Australian year 10 pass?

When I had to go through it they would accept the year 10 pass in english as an RPL

the trouble was I couldnt find my year 10 certificate, despite have a year 12 VCE pass (why keep a year 10 pass if you have your VCE) and despite also having a Degree from an australian university they said the higher level certificates were not acceptable, I need to provide the year 10 pass

hmmmm they sure have got some sharp thinkers over there

Return to “There I was...”