Formation

A bunch of pics as supplied by members. You cant upload here but you can upload to the gallery linked above.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Formation

Postby Skeeter » Wed Jun 27 2012, 17:38

taken from the EDA fotostream

Last flight during an exercise called "Italian Call" in Italy 2011.
There was a second runway looking similar like this. They joined in flight for a huge formation. :D
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Formation

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Jun 27 2012, 20:33

Only 20??

Pah!

We ran a 28-ship formation up Sydney Harbour in the mid-90s to advertise the arrival of the Toyota Prado, which was hanging on a string under a B212.

But a mix like in that photo looks good, doesn't it!
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 2.2 » Thu Jun 28 2012, 06:30

taken from the same exercise

cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Thu Jun 28 2012, 07:47

Skeeter wrote:
There was a second runway looking similar like this. They joined in flight for a huge formation.

= 40 versus only 20 (Sorry Eric . . . Let me check if you have any misspellings, while I am at it -I am just being a wise guy, as everyone else seems to get away with it)

What is interesting is the mixed fleet. I am sure it would have made for an interesting formation, considering the Pilot Flying would have different training and background and use a different sight-picture to hold his unique aircraft's position in the formation.

Would have liked to be a fly on the wall during the briefing . . . "Ya but" and "What if".

I recall graduation day from Army flight training and the massive formation . . . We were well practiced, current, and it was effing scary we were all over the sky! There is ALWAYS someone who thinks he knows better than the Air Mission Commander or the guy giving the briefing.

That guy will pull pitch early, accelerate faster, accelerate slower -and it has a domino effect or like the sharp end of a whip that was merely subjected to a twitch at the handle.
Never take "No" for an answer.
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Thu Jun 28 2012, 09:41

We used to put up a few, when they were not busy doing anything :wink:

Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Jun 28 2012, 14:41

That's pretty impressive Heli! However I do luv the opening thread photo! Absolute cracker!
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Thu Jun 28 2012, 20:09

What are they following me for?

Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Thu Jun 28 2012, 21:20

Might have been 41, black burn mark in background. What is the vehicle with the wings folded?
Fling Wing
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Formation- A/C with wings folded

Postby Fling Wing » Thu Jun 28 2012, 22:01

I think with that huge airbrake at the back, it would have to be a Blackburn Buccaneer. UK low-level aircraft with nuclear weapon delivery capability. No longer in use.
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Thu Jun 28 2012, 23:23

Yes, the Buccaneer: our nuclear strike bomber, carried similar nuclear weapon to our NDB 600lb bomb, only they had a better chance to get away from the blast :wink:

OT, the RAF decried it in favour of the TSR2, then found it to be the best low level aircraft around. Red Flag exercises in Nevada always had the Vulcans and Buccaneers running rings around the defence, until one day when they found and 'shot down' a Vulcan inbound on a low level strike, ~100 agl. The defence disengaged after their 'kill', but didn't hang around to take out the two Buccaneers who were hiding under the Vulcan's wings 8) We got used to sitting in a 40' ASW hover and watching the strike inbound at our height: or lower!

Return to “Heli Pic's”