South African CPL(H) to Aus CPL(H)

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
BAC heli

South African CPL(H) to Aus CPL(H)

Postby BAC heli » Wed Feb 25 2015, 01:37

hi there, I was hoping someone could shed some light on the process of the conversion and gather any handy tips that will make the process a little simpler.
Ive just very recently acquired my SA CPL and have been back in Aus for just over a week.
I am aware that the conversion requires 2 exams, Human Factors and Airlaw. Is there a place I could rent or borrow the books from? and what is generally the average length of study required before writing? obviously I want to knuckle down and get the licence as fast as possible, in the most cost effective way ofcourse, before my flying turns rusty :( . And how do I go about booking to write? I was told to contact ALS or something...

Fortunately I have an ARN and have held a ASIC and medical certificate, as I did a bit of training here, before going abroad. So renewals are in process.

On a side note, Instrument rating. I am IF rated in SA and am just curious about the private instrument rating here. I know I don't qualify for the Command rating and wont be for sometime... Is there a test involved for the private rating or do I just have to present the required experience?

Most of this information could probably be gathered from CASA, but my past experience dealing with aviation authorities is not the greatest... you can only imagine the SACAA... :x

Your advice for my conversion is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, BAC
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: South African CPL(H) to Aus CPL(H)

Postby ChicoCheco » Fri Feb 27 2015, 21:47

Unless you actually do fixed wing flying and IFR plans, I'd not bother with the PIFR for helicopters. The regs may be there, but it's of no real use to you.

When doing CHUF, focus on TEM, as about quarter of questions are on it (sat it recently), rest is easy enough if you did HF studies before/elsewhere.

I'd try to work in IREX if I were you while it's fresh knowledge. It's good for asking for offshore jobs and your (albeit foreign IFR) rating will set you apart.

Oh, under new Part 61 rules, you HaVE TO submit 61-4A form before sitting new code 'conversion air law/rules' called COSH/COSA depending on category, they check foreign credentials and then 'allow you" to sit it. Casa website doesn't have it clear, but I was reminded of it over phone when I realised I clicked wrong air law code and then ASL got in touch with CLARC.

Oh, did I mention you need CASA licence to put ratings/endos/approvals on? For that reason, if not done fast with CPL/test whenever, I spent 140 bucks on the PPL conversion and now had to cough up 160 for privilege to attempt air law even if I get done half year or year later, depending on my travel and finances. Well... The rules are rules..

Bob Tait's HUF book should do plus few online TEM resources. The CAsSA one isn't too good.
BAC heli

Re: South African CPL(H) to Aus CPL(H)

Postby BAC heli » Mon Mar 2 2015, 01:00

Thanks for the reply Chico, Ill check it out. Little stressed and irritated at the moment... all these forms that I know I need and all the ones I don't know about... Keep hearing about new forms I need to do. Trying to find a list of the specific forms to fill out just to allow me to convert, is getting on my nerves. ughhhhhh )c/

I should be getting some books from a connection next week, which should save me some cash.

Return to “International License Conversion”