Advanced Flight Theory ATP(H)L Distance Course

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
michaelking42

Advanced Flight Theory ATP(H)L Distance Course

Postby michaelking42 » Tue May 28 2013, 20:17

I wonder if there's anyone out there with the same experience....?

I bought the AFT distance course for ATP(H)L 2 months ago and started studying the commercial portion 3 weeks ago, in preparation for the CLWH exam. It seems to be a good course with lots of information and references, but the trouble I'm having is first of all, the review questions have a lot of AIP references that are incorrect. Sure I have been able to find the correct reference, but I emailed them (AFT not AIP) about this last week (I'm currently at work in Africa, and a phone call is not possible), and I got a reply that an instructor was going to look into it. Well a few days on, I have no reply from anyone - not that there's anything they can do about it, anyway, but some form of acknowledgement and maybe even a list of updated references might just help a guy who shelled out $1700 for their course... I feel maybe no one there is interested, really.

Well yesterday I noted one of the review questions asks about the period between DGR renewals. One of the answers offered was '2 years' and another option was 'not in excess of 2 years'. Well okay, I know it's the first answer and when I check their answers, nope, it's the second option. Okay, so now I'm enlightened...and today I do one of their cyberexams and lo, this exact question pops up along with the exact answer options...and having been freshly trained that the correct answer is 'not in excess of 2 years', I select that one. Well nope, wrong again. It was the first answer.

So what I would like to know, if anyone has recently used the AFT ATP(H)L distance learning course, and if so, how did it compare to the CLWH (and the AALW and AHUF) written exams? Was the course helpful or did it provide you with even less confidence to take the writtens? I'm coming home to Aussieland June 18 to take the first exam and after this last mess of a trial exam on their website, I'm concerned I won't be able to pass the CPL portion, let alone the ATP part.

If anyone has any experience with this, I sure would appreciate some input. BTW, the said course will be for sale cheap real soon.

Thanks a bunch,

Mike
airportmotel
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Advanced Flight Theory ATP(H)L Distance Course

Postby airportmotel » Tue May 28 2013, 21:17

Mike,

No idea about the CPL side of there theory I used Bob Tait he was spot on, I did how ever use AFT for there ATPL and again pretty much spot on, I did use Ron Newman online avaition theory for systems though, the online sites are better for law , they can change references online , without the need to reprint.

Just keep going through the Airlaw stuff , it will make sense
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby bl@ckers » Tue May 28 2013, 22:21

Mike,

Firstly, why are you using the ATPL course notes for your CPL study? There are major differences in the course content (although not so much for law and human factors).

Secondly, I purchased my ATPL notes from AFT in March this year and I have knocked off 4 of the subjects (law, met nav and human factors) without issue. I found all of the references to be pretty well spot on so far.

As a side note, how frustrating is the ATPL aerodynamics and aircraft systems!! What a load of rubbish having to study the systems of a boeing 767! I have the exam on Monday and there is a heap to remember!

Cheers
Blackers
MaccaM
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby MaccaM » Wed May 29 2013, 00:33

Hi Mike,

I used a combination of AFT and Bob Tait theory books for my CPL(H) a couple of years ago, and am now starting to work my way through the ATPL(H) subjects. I found issues with conflicting information and references quite annoying. My advice, go through your books with a black marker pen and cover up all the references in the review questions. It'll take you a while when you start to search through all your publications looking for the right paragraph, but you will get to know the information, and the layouts of your AIP, CAR's etc....much better then if you just follow the bouncing ball.

Think of the air law exam especially, not as a test of your knowledge, but a test on how to look up the right information. Its all there right in front of you, you just need to learn where to find it.

Also I gave up on the AFT online practice exams after my first subject, and didn't have any dramas passing the next 6.

Macca
Always_Upright
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Always_Upright » Thu May 30 2013, 21:31

Hi Mike

Yes, I had similar dramas when I did my course many years ago. I too had trouble, I believe on the same question from memory. What I found is that the problem was me, not the notes I was studying.
Pride got in the way for me and I did not do as well as I thought, still passed. Over confident and in a hurry to get my licence was my lesson to be learnt.
Speaking with low time pilots joining the job at my previous employment, they all seemed to say the same thing, 'a test of english rather than a flying test'.

There are plenty of good theory supply companies out there including AFT. Its always easier to blame our tools rather than look at correcting our ability to accept new things and face our short-falls when learning a new industry.
I have passed on my old Bob Tait notes/books to new up and comers and the law references in that are surly out of date (Saves them some dollars I guess).
Continually updating course content just goes with the industry but the core majority of content would not have changed much.

I am in no way having a dig at anyone but simply sharing my thoughts at the frustration of learning (as in my case an older bloke who thought I knew most things!) No doubt we all have external life pressures expecting us to get it done quick!

Good luck with your studies and welcome to the world of helicopters. I have enjoyed my journey all the way and thrive on its challenges.

Safe Flying

AU
michaelking42

Postby michaelking42 » Fri May 31 2013, 06:12

Hello there guys (and girls?)

Thanks a bunch for the replies, there have been some very thoughtful responses that are much appreciated.

I did get a response back Wednesday from Brett and also from Paul, one of the instructors at AFT. Brett really took it my concerns to heart and I feel he is following through on his commitment to customer service. And Paul has responded to one of my questions and explained it so that I feel I have been enlightened, and offered to send new and updated course material, which although wasn't expected, the offer is appreciated. I feel much more comfortable with the decision to go with AFT, that's for sure.

AU, what you said could be part of my problem. I ordered the books in March and they arrived promptly in the US, but I got stuck at work in Africa with work visa renewal issues and I was here for 2 months. A buddy of mine had lined up to meet some people in Aussie, so I was on a tight schedule to get things done. I was supposed to bring the family over for a holiday at the same time and the wife was pressuring me, and of course CASA is making changes on Dec 4th...so blar blar...I guess there was and is a bit of pressure with respect to time.

With respect to the DGR question, I don't know how I can speak any better english to understand why the correct answer is one thing in the study material, and the the other in the practise test...without any change of wording. But that is not to say I know everything, nor think I do...and I think my biggest problem is reading exam questions too quickly, and not reading the answers enough! :) But when it comes to the CASA exams, I don't want to just pass, I want to just pass enough!

Blackers, for an ATP conversion, you only need to do 3 exams - the CPL, ATP law and HUF. At least for now until December when the new rules kick in. So for aerodynamics and systems, I don't know. What you said about buying the notes from AFT makes me feel more comfortable, thank you.

Macca, I had thought about blacking out the references, it's a good plan. I did start making little strips of paper and stuck them over the refs like kids pop up books so I couldn't see the info, but still had access to it...after I did one page I thought, nah bugger that! Good way to think of the air law exam as a test on looking up stuff.

Airport, yeah I know it would be a hassle to continually keep updating course content, and it seems I just happened to order just before the reprint...oh well. hopefully it won't bite me in the bum at the first exam in 2 weeks!

Now how about that AIP??? The print in that thing is so big I have to stand on the other side of the room to read it! Was it made for Mr McGoo? And I guess they haven't figured out that you can use an index to actually index more than just a couple of things...

Well guys thanks again for all the input; I definitely feel a little more confident that I can walk into the exam and get a pass.

Mike
agastya

Postby agastya » Sun Mar 8 2015, 14:57

Hi everybody

i can see that you guys already have your licenses; i am attending the CPL(H) course now, and i would like to practice more cyberexams for the CASA exam; unfortunatly in AFT website, they provide only24 exams to share within the 8 subjects, if i want more, i must pay extra, i don´t mind to pay, but they sell it too expensive; i was wondering if you know where i can get cyberexam database to practice.
i would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Phil Croucher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Phil Croucher » Wed Jul 22 2015, 09:31

If it helps anyone, I have a question database at www.rtfq.org. It is biased towards EASA, but it seems as if some of the CASA questions are just as daft :) It is free to use.

{hil
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Wed Jul 22 2015, 11:41

Nice work Phil. Enjoyed the questions. You still at Booker? I'll pop in end of October.

Cheers, Saucepan.
Phil Croucher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Phil Croucher » Wed Jul 22 2015, 13:44

No, we're down at Littlehampton now, with a satellite at Leicester, and one in Holland and the USA!

Phil

Return to “International License Conversion”