schools for licence conversion in Perth

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
helib
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

schools for licence conversion in Perth

Postby helib » Sat Oct 13 2012, 00:37

I am looking into converting my Canadian CPL to an Aussie CPL. I would really appreciate any feedback/recommendations in regards to flight schools in Perth!
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: schools for licence conversion in Perth

Postby CYHeli » Sat Oct 13 2012, 02:37

Heliwest has experience with assisting pilots from a variety of overseas locations in converting to CASA licence.
This CASA web site page will also provide the regulators processes.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Sat Oct 13 2012, 08:13

Heliwest is the way to go in perth, I converted my JAR ATPL(H) last november and their ground school instructor is great, patience of a saint. The school facilities are comfortable and easy to get to if you have a car, and the test facility is only up the freeway a few exits.

Si
Last edited by bigglesbutler on Wed Oct 17 2012, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Sat Oct 13 2012, 09:54

I would recommend HeliWest as well. But for the sake of being fair, the other school in Perth is Rotorvation. HW is probably the larger, more professional outfit, with more scope of getting work through them afterwards.
But you’re best to go visit both, have a chat and see what both can offer.
Good luck.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
helib
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helib » Wed Oct 17 2012, 12:20

Thanks guys for your feedback! I know HeliWest is the bigger operation and Rotorvation has more like a family feel to it... decisions. How long did your conversions take?
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Wed Oct 17 2012, 12:36

I did about 9 months of self study in Scotland prior to travelling to Perth, I got help via email and Skype during that time. I then spent about five days in Perth doing ground school prior to each exam, and it was well worth the money spent. The HW staff were very accommodating and helpful, and made me feel welcome and important at all times. You mentioned a family feel at the other place, but that is how I would describe HW too, they seemed in my limited time there a VERY close knit team.

Good luck however you do it.
helib
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helib » Wed Oct 17 2012, 12:49

Thanks a lot for your reply - big help!
helib
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helib » Wed Oct 24 2012, 01:04

Does anybody else has any feedback on this? All highly appreciated!
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Wed Oct 24 2012, 09:30

Yep. I'll be honest though, I used to work there.
Heliwest is very professional in there approach. Good mix of guys always happy to help.
Go and have a chat with them ( or others if you please) before committing to ensure your happy with your choice.
helib
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helib » Thu Oct 25 2012, 06:38

Thanks bladepitch for the insight! Will check them out in person and then hopefully will figure out the best choice...
PARAM202ALH

Postby PARAM202ALH » Tue Nov 12 2013, 11:41

I just completed the conversion today with heliwest...very professional outfit
actionman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby actionman » Wed Nov 13 2013, 07:06

I have been to both and Rotorvation has a far better feel about the place, smaller more friendly.
Rebuilder
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rebuilder » Thu Nov 14 2013, 12:32

bladepitch wrote:Yep. I'll be honest though, I used to work there.

how does that make you more honest?
Would it not be the opposite :P!
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Thu Nov 14 2013, 13:30

Rebuilder wrote:
bladepitch wrote:Yep. I'll be honest though, I used to work there.

how does that make you more honest?
Would it not be the opposite :P!

Telling the other one that his opinion might be influenced by the fact that he worked there is quite honest to me.
Lude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lude » Sun May 17 2015, 08:18

Apologies in advance for resurrecting this thread but I am looking for some more up to date info on Heliwest and Rotorvation in Jandakot for license conversion.

Does anyone have any up to date experience on converting FAA CPL to Aussie CPL in any of the two schools?

All info is welcomed, good bad or otherwise.

Cheers.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Sun May 17 2015, 19:56

I doubt much has changed.
Heliwest may have promo rate on R44 dual, may not. Price difference besides that minimal. Rest as mentioned above.

Unless Rob H left/relocated, he instructed in US before converting CPL/FI to Oz equivalent and started work with HW Jandakot.

Now you have COSH air law exam code, not CLWH and you HAVE TO file the 61-4A form before being allowed to book/sit it, no kidding. Very bottom of the form under the contact details states it. So plan to file it few weeks ahead minimum before planning to sit the exam, else the brave new system may upset you. The school would surely let you know. I sat CHUF and couldn't do air law when wanted due to this new rule (now doing few bits in Europe, done the ATPL theory exams here). I doubt there's any real difference, but exam code is.

Expect LONG waiting game, oops, processing times for ASIC and converting forms. Don't forget some operational or pilot ratings NEED issued licence to put them on. Yes, sounds silly but it is what it is. Also up to 6 weeks waiting time for getting CPL in post after flight test. So be aware of it.

I'd recommend doing initial Class 1 medical early rather than when in Oz if you haven't done so already. There's up to 2 months processing time.

Stated 'faster verification' of FAA pilot credentials doesn't seem to have real impact on getting anything from CASA back. Mine's been there full 3 months (as system changed, wanted PPL in hand first, in old system was just told to do all required conversion training - CPL/FI and then submit all paperwork, cert copies and signed forms/reports)

Do NOT expect fast, user friendly system like FAA with medical and temp airman cert (privileges) on the spot. If you had an idea that with sufficient budget you fly ~5hrs and flight test and voila, all done, not strictly so.
Lude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lude » Mon May 18 2015, 04:21

Cheers very much for the info ChicoCheco.

Sounds like I am in for a lot of waiting around! All part of the game I suppose!
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Mon May 18 2015, 23:48

Jump onm CASA list of medical examiners.

You are likely to need ophtalmologist approved/authorised by CASA for Class 1 initial. Not just quick squint on the letters on far end wall.
You'd do ECG etc.

Time that reasonably, no point wasting validity, but up to 2 months. Can take 6 weeks. They'd send it by snail mail abroad if needed.

The 61-4a form can be done by you, ensure you put CPL to be able to sit COSH written regs exam. It may be worth getting the PPL done if you don't have CASA, same form but 20 bucks less fee, then will have to do ASIC same time and possibly the English endorsement proof etc (FAA papers not enough, don't state number/level.. Yeah...) Then you can do the low level/sling/nvfr etc training and flight test/reviews as needed without waiting for CPL. To make the most of quick tailored training. Unless CASA change the rules much in this area, it's what it is right now.

I'm tired and disappointed and nowhere near done 'converting', but hey, unless giving up on Australia as 'new home', gotta deal with them and spend a lot all over again. No choice.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Mon May 18 2015, 23:51

(Dame list overseas/foreign locations, if not nearby where you are, can combine the check with holiday somewhere)
Lude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lude » Tue May 19 2015, 08:10

Thanks a million for the advice, really useful tips there.

Return to “International License Conversion”