Flight Operator Radiotelephone Licence

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Flight Operator Radiotelephone Licence

Postby Yankee » Fri Aug 31 2012, 23:28

One of the items for a FAA ATP to CASA ATPL(H) conversion requires a Flight Operator Radiotelephone Licence. What is this? how do I get one? I do have a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Certificate" issued from New Zealand... would this meet the requirements?

Any advice?
Also there was a post on here about the no flight test for the ATP - ATPL(H) conversion, I know there was going to be a change soon, anyone got any more info on that?

Thanks
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Flight Operator Radiotelephone Licence

Postby mdav » Sat Sep 1 2012, 04:37

Oct next year i believe the change will happen, regarding the radio licence talk to a school here if you can call the tower they will just tick you off i would think, thats not difficult.
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Sun Sep 2 2012, 04:02

The FROL test usually consists of an inhouse exam given by a flight school, which when completed will be indicated but a few completed forms signed by the CFI that will go off with your license application.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
LHS
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LHS » Sun Sep 2 2012, 08:49

most flying schools can do it for you, do test, fill out forms, get signed by appropriate person, having an ASIC and an ARN helps. Pay $50 to your friendly CASA rep and, well still waiting after 4 weeks for money to come out and receive bit of paper.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Sep 3 2012, 03:27

I would have thought the NZ one would qualify you, I have not heard of pilots coming from NZ to here having to complete one before flying here.... I'd clarify with CASA or a flight school as mentioned above.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
michaelking42

Postby michaelking42 » Thu Apr 4 2013, 07:55

Hi there Yankee, did you get an answer to your question? I'm in a similar boat, I just ordered the "Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Certificate (RR)" from the US FCC website. $60 and I'm hoping CASA will accept it and issue me the FROL. I'm trying to get as much done in the US as I can before I make it to Aussie in a couple of months to write the exams and submit the paperwork.

Mike
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Apr 4 2013, 22:55

Mike,
From CAR 5.61 What are the qualifications for a flight radiotelephone operator licence?

(3) In spite of subregulation (1), a person is qualified to hold a
flight radiotelephone operator licence if the person:
(a) satisfies the requirements of paragraph (1) (a) [is at least 16 yrs - added by me] ; and
(b) holds, or has held, an overseas radio licence that is at least equivalent to the flight radiotelephone operator licence.
(4) For the purposes of this regulation, an overseas radio licence is equivalent to a flight radiotelephone operator licence if it authorises the holder of the licence to operate a
radiocommunication system installed in, or carried on, an aircraft during flight time in the aircraft.

Does an FAA restricted meet part 4 above?

For those looking for the current FROL syllabus, Try here.
Note para 3.4
3.4 Demonstrate during a flight of at least one hour duration:

So just saying g'day to the tower is not quite enough.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
michaelking42

Postby michaelking42 » Fri Apr 5 2013, 08:41

Hi CY, thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I looked up the CARs and saw what you pasted, this led me to a search through ICAO and Chicago Convention papers...what a waste of time. The long and short of it is CASA will make a determination whether the US issued RR will be sufficient basis on them either issuing a FROL, or making me jump through the hoops, skip the rope and pay the $$$. Well the $$$ part is guaranteed with CASA, that seems to be a fact.

Thanks again, I've written to CLARC to see if I can get an answer from them and I'll take it from there.

All the best,

Mike

Return to “International License Conversion”