African licenses

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Something clever
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

African licenses

Postby Something clever » Fri Jul 20 2012, 04:26

I have been trying to contact the South African CAA about license conversion but not having much luck.
What is involved to covert from NZ or AUS CPL(H) and do many of the South Eastern African countries use a common Aviation Authority or do they all require different licencing.

Cheers in advance
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
Flyting
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: African licenses

Postby Flyting » Fri Jul 20 2012, 06:09

It depends on who you're flying for and where...

You will have to get validated in the aircraft's country of registration.
Depending on how long you want to suffer on the dark continent, you can either get a validation (normally 1 year) or sit a few exams (more than 1 year). Exams depend on which country, but can be a 1 law and proceedures exam or several......depends how much money they want from you.
Medical and flight test goes without saying.

Find out which country/which operator/how long you want to go and then go from there.
SA CAA takes about a week to get back to you if you are lucky, and the rest of them........could take a while. Best bet is if the operator deals with them for you as they would know the short cuts.
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Sun Jul 22 2012, 00:27

Check your Personal Message for advice on Africa.
Never take "No" for an answer.
CyclicPitch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CyclicPitch » Sat Oct 13 2012, 12:42

Hi

Hopefully I can shed some light onto this matter, seeing that service delivery isn't a big priority in my country! (South Africa)

I have assisted Ukrainians to get conversions to SACAA. All they had to do is write Air law and Procedures. Its a monkey puzzle exam written on computer in Johannesburg. And off course do a flight test. If you don't want your IF validated, you can only write Air law without procedures. (Procedures=Instrument Procedures)

Apart from that you will need a few other documents like, a copy of your passport, copy of your license, copy of CRM and DG courses that you have done, medical certificate, radio certificate, copy of your logbook (not sure if its for the last 6 months or the entire logbook?), and 2 passport sized photographs. All copies must be certified by South African police.

The pass mark for the Air law test is 75%. And it will cost you about R250 per attempt. (Rand to Aus $ is about 8:1)

I can give you contact numbers as well if you need someone for your validation check ride.

Anything else, don't hesitate to ask. Think it's easier for me to find out whats going on, than for someone on the other side of the world. ;)
CyclicPitch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CyclicPitch » Sat Oct 13 2012, 12:52

And while we are the topic of African Licenses...

I would like to know where is the best place to go and convert my SACAA (South African) HCPL to Australian CASA. I am also looking for a possible job, so preferably a company that could open some doors for me once I am there.

I have 800 hours total. 400 of which is multi-engine, acquired in Afghanistan. An IF rating, night rating and instructors rating. Do you think I would be able to find anything? I'm really keen on flying in Australia for a few years.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Sat Oct 13 2012, 21:47

Cyclic Pitch - Werent flying in Afghanistan with Neal Ellis were you :)
CyclicPitch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CyclicPitch » Sun Oct 14 2012, 08:16

Hi Heli-Ops

Nope, but I have met him a few times 8)

How do you know him?
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Sun Oct 14 2012, 18:42

Met him through some friends I flew with from JoBurg to Nairobbery for the WRC rally few years ago. We had a ball flying up there from Grand Central up through Zim over to Mozambique, overnighted in Malawi then up thru Tanzania to Kenya with a quick air to air shoot up in front of Mt Kilimanjaro. Can rem most of the gang.

Arthur Walker
Gary Arthur
Vaughn Gouws
Deon Roussouw

Plus others. Good bunch of people.
CyclicPitch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CyclicPitch » Mon Oct 15 2012, 06:44

It sounds like you guys had an awesome time!

I have met Arthur on one ocasion as well :)

Return to “International License Conversion”