ASIC

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

ASIC

Postby Skeeter » Thu Feb 2 2012, 20:21

Hello BS,
I am planning to convert my licence to an Australian one in the near future.
So far so good, but one thing I could not figure out is:
Do I need to hold a current ASIC to sit the theory exam or flight test?
And/Or where can I find the relevant document?

Thanks in advance!
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: ASIC

Postby harold » Thu Feb 2 2012, 21:50

You don't need it to sit exams but you will need an ASIC Application in for your licence
mja
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mja » Thu Feb 2 2012, 21:56

Here's the link to apply for ASIC - http://www.aviationidaustralia.net.au/

........................ :cool_dc:
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Feb 3 2012, 02:21

Further to ASIC requirements don't try using it as a form of ID for your ASIC renewal...they don't recognise it as a form of ID!!! WTF
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Fri Feb 3 2012, 08:10

Thank you for the information! Helps a lot!
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Fri Feb 3 2012, 13:43

Skeeter wrote:Thank you for the information! Helps a lot!

The only thing your ASIC is good for is 10 or 15% off Duty Free. Other than that its a cash cow.....I refer to the case of the bloke who stole a helicopter and was convicted yet still holds the ASIC. Kind of like speed cameras are there to save lives
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Fri Jun 8 2012, 12:05

To the non Australian slappers:

Who did this immigration check already?

Applicants who are not Australian citizens must undergo an immigration check regardless of their age.
Note: Your immigration check can only be completed once you have arrived in Australia.

I applied for the ASIC in February/March, came to Australia to do the flight test and exams and departed 2 weeks later.
Now I received a mail from CASA saying my immigration check is not approved cause I`m not in Australia at the moment!?

What kind of check is this? Do you really need to be in Australia or can I go to an Australian Embassy to do this?

(yep, I will call CASA on monday, but its time critical)
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Fri Jun 8 2012, 12:12

I just received my ASIC this week but I have recently moved here so didn't have a problem. What country are you coming from. It took about 3.5weeks for my ASIC to arrive after sending in application.
Water Hammer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Water Hammer » Fri Jun 8 2012, 12:18

Need to be in Australia to get it, I have a kiwi mate who managed to get one on a two week holiday here so sounds like you just missed out!

Depends where you are going to work as to how soon you'll need it. Most places will let you start if it's not going to be a long wait to get it....but hey its CASA so don't expect it to go smoothly or quickly!
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Fri Jun 8 2012, 12:24

I`m from Germany.

"To finalise your ASIC applications you will need to be in Australia when the Immigration check is carried out. Please email your next arrival date into Australia."

Well...regarding my work: this would be next year... :shock:

I don`t need the ASIC itself at the moment. But I need the licence and the skill assessment for a visa!
No ASIC -> no licence -> no skill assessment -> no visa! Oc:=

EDIT: Water Hammer: Do you know what he had to do for the check?
Water Hammer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Water Hammer » Fri Jun 8 2012, 12:36

Skeeter I think if you apply for the ASIC and get rejected they may still send you out your Licence...which means you should be ok for your Visa!

The immigration check is something CASA do with the Immigration people - as far as I'm aware it all happens behind the scenes and all you have to do is be in the country. My info is fairly recent so should be accurate....but def call them at CLARC to see IF they can help!
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Fri Jun 8 2012, 23:57

The license and ASIC are separate applications and you don't need an ASIC to convert a license. You only need it when you want to fly here.
Sounds like a catch 22 if you need an ASIC for a visa and not just a license.
Coming from NZ we don't have to do a flight check or any exams but you wouldn't need AISC for flight check I would think because your flight examiner has one. Someone else might know more about this?
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sat Jun 9 2012, 00:33

I haven't done any recent research so I'm shooting from the hip here, but the ASIC is only required if operating into a security controlled airport or one which services RPT flights, so the issue of a licence, medical or anything else from CASA should be irrelevant to the person having a current ASIC shouldn't it?
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Water Hammer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Water Hammer » Sat Jun 9 2012, 05:33

Good advice guys sounds about right I used to think you had apply for an ASIC when you are applying for a foreign licence conversion! But sounds like I'm wrong?....most jobs will require you to have an ASIC anyway whether it's the company policy or whatever, so pays to have one unless you are working in a remote area all the time!

Return to “International License Conversion”