Private VS Commercial

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Private VS Commercial

Postby NEWBIE » Wed Mar 28 2007, 08:48

As a very new person to the Industry, I was wandering if flying for a private operator (eg Cattle property with own R22) is seen any different to going straight to a commercial operator. And whether this has any bearing on how future operators look at you when you want to move on to bigger and better things,
Thanks for your help,
Big Foot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Big Foot » Fri Mar 30 2007, 12:11

Mustering hours are mustering hours wheather private or commercial it does not matter, a station can be good place to start depending on your background as there can be less pressure on you if you are inexperienced than there would be in a commercial enviroment, some stations can be very fussy, if you make a mistake on your first time there you may not get asked back which can make things differcult for you. Whereas if you work and live on a station in a private situation they allready know you and hopefully like you so the mistake is easyer for them to accept.
Having said all that i think you learn more in a commercial job as you get more exposure to different operations, cattle and country and in the end become a better mustering pilot.
I did my first 1000 hrs on a station privately then moved to commercial ops there advantages to both it depends on the person.
BF
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Sat Mar 31 2007, 05:38

Thanks for the info Big foot,
I have got an amount of experince, I grew up on one in CQ till I finished high school then went to the military for the last five years.
I have been told to be prepared to spend up to a year working on the ground as I have only worked cattle on my leave for the past couple of years, in order to get back into the game. I already have my mustering endorsment.
I have no problem doing this and looking to going to Cloncurry as there seems to be a number of operators working there.
Do you have any suggestions for getting a start.
As my plan is at the moment to drive and talk to every operator I can find, and If that dosn't work put In for a jackaroo job in some were there's a number of operators and just keep on talking to them and just be in the local area.
Thanks again for you help,
Big Foot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Big Foot » Sat Mar 31 2007, 11:35

try the mcdonalds they have places around cloncurry and a lot of station machines .

Return to “International License Conversion”