Converting CASA turbine endorsement to CAA?

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Converting CASA turbine endorsement to CAA?

Postby Queestce » Sun Sep 19 2010, 10:05

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone on here had ever come across the ditch from Aus to NZ and converted an Aus CPL or PPL with turbine ratings over to a CAA CPL? Did you have to sit the "Basic Gas Turbine" exam that is required here in NZ prior to logging turbine time in order to transfer the ratings/log turbine time? Can't find an AC about it, might have to contact the CAA :shock:

Cheers,

Tom
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Converting CASA turbine endorsement to CAA?

Postby SuperF » Mon Sep 20 2010, 08:02

hi

i went from NZ to Oz, and no one asked about BGT. You just have to prove that you have the A/C ratings, ie make sure you are signed off on a JR/500/350, in your logbook, or on your licence, (66 will be the most common soon i guess, if the rest of the R's are anything to go by...), they then put the rating on your licence and it is assumed that you have the BGT. I guess that it is the same coming into NZ, or maybe you Ozzies just love all the Kiwi pilots over there so you are making it easy for us to head that way... :lol:

I thought that you were doing your licence in CHCH or somewhere over here, how would you have Oz turbine time???

SF
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Mon Sep 20 2010, 08:12

SuperF wrote:hi

i went from NZ to Oz, and no one asked about BGT. You just have to prove that you have the A/C ratings, ie make sure you are signed off on a JR/500/350, in your logbook, or on your licence, (66 will be the most common soon i guess, if the rest of the R's are anything to go by...), they then put the rating on your licence and it is assumed that you have the BGT. I guess that it is the same coming into NZ, or maybe you Ozzies just love all the Kiwi pilots over there so you are making it easy for us to head that way... :lol:

I thought that you were doing your licence in CHCH or somewhere over here, how would you have Oz turbine time???

SF

You are right indeed SF I am training here in NZ. Don't have an Aus license or turbine time, just a future possibility and wondered about the process. Good to see you can convert NZ ratings straight over. I was under the impression that CASA didn't have BGT exam requirement before going for turbine endorsements? I thought there was a practical requirement when going for your first turbine rating or something to that effect?...

Cheers

Tk
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Mon Sep 20 2010, 08:30

hi, sorry can't help with Oz requirements for first turbine, however in NZ you have to do a BGT and then get signed off for turbine handling by the instructor as part of your first rating. After that additional ratings don't have to worry about turbine handling etc. If its easier to get turbine ratings in OZ, then you may want to get your CPL, get a job wherever, convert CPL to oz and then get your extra ratings in OZ. If you have a job, then any good boss will give you a rating if they want you to move up. If they don't want to do that then start looking around.

SF
sausage
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby sausage » Mon Sep 27 2010, 08:23

Evening all

Pretty interested in this myself. Currently undertaking my CAA CPL-H here in NZ and here you have to do a Basic Gas Turbine (BGT) exam before you can log any turbine time towards a rating, however as I understand it you do not have to do this exam over the ditch in Aussie? So as above if a convert my licence to CASA (no big deal with mutural pilot deal thing) and get a turbine rating over there and I come back to NZ does it count? Or would I still need to do the BGT exam to count the hours and rating here in NZ?

So I suppose any Aussie pilots who had turbine ratings and came to NZ for some work did you have to sit this BGT exam? or because you already have a rating no need?

Any information or direction would be appreciated

Regards

DM
Last edited by sausage on Mon Sep 27 2010, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
oneliner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby oneliner » Mon Sep 27 2010, 17:26

sausage wrote:did you have to sit this BGT exam of because you already have ar rating no need?

My brain is hurting trying to read that.

I didn't have to sit the BGT exam when I moved back to NZ.

oneliner.
Poo Pushing Pilot

Postby Poo Pushing Pilot » Mon Sep 27 2010, 23:46

If CAA do make you do a BGT course it is really nothing to stress about, they used to just have one day course a few years ago, presume similar courses are still happening..... Air and fuel goes in, hot stuff comes out, blades go round, its not really rocket science. Just hand over another couple of hundred bucks like with every other stage of the conversion and your done.
The bit that may make it more difficult to convert a CASA licence to CAA NZ is that there are some significant diferences in the syllabus, mainly the 150 hour total time, 10 hour sling indorsment, and however much it is mountain time, maybe 10 hours or something of that too. It is a simple process if converting CAA to CASA as the requirments are already exceeded. I also do not belive that you can directly convert a PPL either way with the trans tasman mutural recognition thingy, as it is suppose to be a commercial qualification etc.
sausage
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby sausage » Tue Sep 28 2010, 05:00

cheers for that I know its just another exam but its another cost to the first rating, maybe just bite the bullet and order a boook from somewhere and start studying :roll:

Thanks for the help
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Tue Sep 28 2010, 09:05

Yea, the only really silly thing about the BGT is that 50% + of it is totally fixed wing related. It is not just relevent to turbine helicopters, and I don't plan to jump in a 777 any time soon! End of the day its just another hoop to jump through, not a major issue of course, and some of the knowledge is very usefull. From what i've heard it does seem that with a CASA CPL turbine machine rating, you do not need to do the BGT here in NZ to convert the rating or gain more.

Cheers,

Tk

Return to “International License Conversion”