Papua New Guinea License Conversion?

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Hiller Guy

Papua New Guinea License Conversion?

Postby Hiller Guy » Sun Feb 7 2010, 07:09

I can't seem to find any details on what is required to convert from an Oz CPLH to fly in PNG. Is our license recognized in PNG or is there a bunch of hoops to jump through. If you do get a job flying for a mob over there, do they usually help you through it or do they expect you to sort it all out on your own before hand? I know there are many Au pilots working over there at the moment so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Hiller Guy
nzheliwhore
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Papua New Guinea License Conversion?

Postby nzheliwhore » Sun Feb 7 2010, 07:45

The PNG system is the same as NZ, they basically copied it. Anyway pretty easy really, do a law exam, medical, pay the fee and then you have your licence. One thing tho... the company you work for organises it and sort of sponsors it thru there CAA. They like you to have 250 hr working experience on top of your min requirement for a CPL. Check it out I think that is correct, ( stand open to correction on that interpretation ). You can do a medical in brisbane. They have airport security cards here as well. There website is being redesigned to be more user friendly so it might make it easier for all.

Have fun

NZH
The first rule of holes..... If you are in one STOP DIGGING !
longliner

Postby longliner » Sun Feb 7 2010, 12:22

nz heliwhores on the money..to ad though dont bother unless you have an employer, like the whore said the company you work for looks after it, you just have to pass the law exam and medical

medical can be done in many places in Oz buts a much quicker process in PNG, again if you get a start with a company they'll do most of the work for you

your log book has to show some mountain experience as well, when you do the law exam they will want to see your logbooks!

currently PNG is cracking down hard on working visa's so having an employer is a must the business visa dooesnt cut it anymore, i know a few of the lads are at home as they cant come back in until their permit comes through.

good signs for png though, more seismic projects to go with the current projects ramping up
longliner

Postby longliner » Sun Feb 7 2010, 12:59

i should add, im not currently working in png so the current guys up there may add to this, just going off when i went to through the system and what i hear from a couple of the lads.... cheers
nzheliwhore
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby nzheliwhore » Sun Feb 7 2010, 21:05

Long liner you are right.I should have added the bit about mountain experience. And It is not just a sticker in the book that will cut the mustard up there any more either. They want to see actual working experience in the mountains.
Work visa's are a issue that is being enforsed. In the past many guys go a multi-entry work visa which can be picked up at the airport on arrival for 500 Kina. However early last year they started to really crack down on them. The fine was about K10,000 for the worker and K15,000 for the employer ( dont quote me on the those figure's, but it is around that ). It take about three weeks for a full work visa to come thru and again this will be sorted by your employer.
PNG is about to go right off. The PNG LNG project has been signed up ( liquid natural gas ) and many companies are ramping up for the extra work load. This filters right thru all the companies not just aviation ones. One operator told me that he expected there to be and extra 50 -70 aircraft flying in the country as a result. Wotever the case, this project is huge. I expect to see a lot more jobs coming up in the future. Just as you see guys touring aussie and nz looking for work, starting to see that up here as well. I think it is just starting, however my advice would be not to bother unless you are sure you have wot it takes and your log book backs it up.
Yes it has even affect me, I am being transferred back to our parent company ( promoted ) to assist in the ramping up. My cushy little mining explortion job has been given to a canadian. I use the word promoted very loosely as I soon will be touring out of MT Hagen (permanantly ). Hagen is a absolute s#!t hole.

NZH
The first rule of holes..... If you are in one STOP DIGGING !
2rotorbro
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 2rotorbro » Wed Feb 10 2010, 03:05

What a load of rot you talk heliwhore. Exxon have suspended the lng project indefinately due to security concerns. An extra 50-70 aircraft? Who is smoking the peyote? The last pipeline that was built here used 1 that's one, uno 206 and that was only on an as required basis.

Return to “International License Conversion”