FAA ATP or CPL Using Sim

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
James Hall
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

FAA ATP or CPL Using Sim

Postby James Hall » Mon Mar 12 2018, 07:25

Hi guys,

Heading to States soon to complete an endorsement in a level D sim. Has anyone had experience in completing an FAA license conversion whilst doing such a course? Wanting to know if it’s possible to complete without external flying providing all experience requirements can be met. ie do a flight test in sim to ATPL requirements at completion of course, providing sim Centre have an approved testing officer etc

Any guidance experience would be appreciated.

Cheers
bladewash269
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: FAA ATP or CPL Using Sim

Postby bladewash269 » Mon Mar 12 2018, 07:40

Hi James,

Pretty sure you can do the FAA ATP in the SIM, in fact I'm pretty sure it's commonly done. I think a lot of them have a designated pilot examiner (DPE).

However, pretty sure you need an FAA CPL and instrument rating as prerequisites. Also a fair bit of night PIC time. It might be possible. I'd contact the training provider to find out.

Best of luck.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Tue Mar 13 2018, 16:48

Besides the requirements in 14 CFR 61.129 for CPLs, https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp&r=PART&n=14y2.0.1.1.2#se14.2.61_1161(Google e-cfr and the number or click link for ATP(H), welcome) and the FAA definitions of specific flight times, it's actually

COMBINATION of CPL and IR(H), mix and match FAA and/or ICAO.
People have done the 61.75 verification/validation piggyback licence to act as PIC when renting/for flight rest, then took ATP practical after meeting all requirements/prerequisites.

As for the skills test in SIM, it depends on the level. Airline people do it often as part of training now, since there are additional requirements/prerequisites past few years for multi engine fixed wing ATP and the training is combined with TR often.
But if you are doing FAA TR on some heavier twin (above 12500lbs MTOW, it would be type rated) and there is sim for it, probably could.

Regarding night time, it's only 15hrs in Heli as minimum, rest can be in other category/class. Also AFAIK, the night PIC per se is required for FW to an extent in FAA, CASA, EASA, but any type of actual pilot time should do.

I was once contacted by one Heli pilot about timebuilding in Cessna and him logging dual for missing (majority of the 100hrs) night hours for ATP. Timing, my certification/being busy moving to Oz and the fact that he wanted it flown way too intensively, plus was trying to be cheapskate, it obviously fell through/called off. He probably found some local pilot in Florida ticking boxes and up for it or he actually coughed up for FI+aircraft RATE. I knocked off plenty night time in C172 last year towards ATPs myself. No fuss.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Mar 13 2018, 18:13

James Hall wrote:Hi guys,

Heading to States soon to complete an endorsement in a level D sim. Has anyone had experience in completing an FAA license conversion whilst doing such a course? Wanting to know if it’s possible to complete without external flying providing all experience requirements can be met. ie do a flight test in sim to ATPL requirements at completion of course, providing sim Centre have an approved testing officer etc

Any guidance experience would be appreciated.

Cheers

This can easily be done. The flight examiner just needs to tick an extra box on the flight test form.

You’ll need to have the ATP written done, an FAA medical as well as a current (within 6 months) letter of validation of your foreign license from the FAA.

You will require and aussie CPL, instrument rating and meet all the Aeronautical experience of the FAR’s part 61.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions. I did exactly this when I switched over my fixed wing license to an FAA ATP.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
James Hall
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby James Hall » Wed Mar 14 2018, 11:51

Thanks Havick and Chico, exactly the tips i was looking for. I will investigate, and if I get stuck I’ll hit you up some more.

Cheers

Return to “International License Conversion”