CASA ATPL(h)

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
gavblake[1]

CASA ATPL(h)

Postby gavblake[1] » Sat Mar 10 2018, 10:41

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help. I’m in the process of converting my EASA ATPL(H) to a CASA ATPL(H) as I’m moving to Sydney later this year. I’m sitting my exams next week and wanted to know where best to take the skills test (preferably on the east coast). I understand it’s possible to do this check (including Comd IR) in an approved Sim. I’ve asked around a few schools with no luck. Has anyone done this? If so, any advice would be greatly received by this bladeslapper POM.

Cheers.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: CASA ATPL(h)

Postby havick » Sat Mar 10 2018, 10:56

Beckers and Kestrel have facilitated ATPL(H) flight tests that I know of.

Best of luck
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Friendly Black Dog
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Friendly Black Dog » Sat Mar 10 2018, 20:52

Hey.

CASR Part 61 may have changed this but previously if you had an ATPL from another country (ICAO) all you had to do was approach CASA, prove the qualification, and they would issue an AUS ATPL.

The IR was different, you needed to pass the Aus written exam and provided you had the prerequisite experience/training you could sit a flight test.

My understanding is that none of the flight schools hold testing approval as yet. They can do some training to get a candidate to the required standard but then they need to call in a CASA testing officer to do the test.

CASA’s literature says the test can be done in a sim or an aircraft, however the goal posts have moved in my case (sim only) so who knows what you might be able to do?

Kestrel definitely have put candidates through the process, costly but done.

Try dropping by a CASA office or giving them a call. If they still convert ATPL’s the process is relatively simple.

FBD
gavblake[1]

Postby gavblake[1] » Sun Mar 11 2018, 09:45

Thank you for the replies guys. Very useful indeed!
Blade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Blade » Sun Mar 11 2018, 23:52

Actually, There is an an exam and a flight test for the ATPL conversion. To meet the criteria you must satisfy 3 things,
1/ A person mentioned in sub regulation CASR 61.275 (5) certifies in writing that the applicant is competent in each unit of competency mentioned in Part 61 MOS,
2/ Passes the flight test
3/ Passed the overseas conversion aeronautical knowledge examination
There are a few Flight Examiners available to do the test for conversion. If you need a contact then email CLARC and they will advise you of one.
Friendly Black Dog
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Friendly Black Dog » Mon Mar 12 2018, 09:19

Hey Blade, thanks for the update. Are any of the flight examiners associated with particular schools or are they all CASA FOI’s etc?

Cheers

FBD

Return to “International License Conversion”