converting Australian CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
DaveL
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: converting Australian CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)

Postby DaveL » Sun Oct 30 2011, 17:52

Did my conversion early this year and only have good things to say about Chinook. Cathy and Lynn are great and all the instructors know their stuff. Loved flying the Bell 47 too, what a great training machine.

I would recommend doing your medical in Canada, go to Ultima at Vancouver Airport then take the paper work straight to Transport Canada downtown, you will have a temporary medical in your hand same day. I did a medical in NZ before I left and it never turned up in Canada so had to redo it, more money down the drain.

nlnnOOnnln were you the Aussie pilot that walked into Chinook telling everyone you were "the best long line pilot in the world" by any chance?
Last edited by DaveL on Sun Oct 30 2011, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Sun Oct 30 2011, 18:27

Not me. Pretty amazing how you can form such a negaive opinion based on speculation that I am someone I am not though. Pretty arogant.
Sure the instructors have all the credentials. I am talking about the cost (value).

Just out of interest how long did your conversion take and how much did your conversion cost?
Were you charged an enrollment fee? How much was that?
Were you charged for ground theroy instruction? How much was that? Did you receive any? How many hours?
"Makes me think." Why if I have something to say do some guys automatically use, 'oh you mustn't have been up to standard or you must have failed your flight test.' "Rubbish!"

Check out how much BCheli or the Helicollege list a conversion cost at and compare.

Don't forget, your type endorsments are not all converted to a Canadian license automatically. You must have flown a type "I think/recall" within the last three months to have that type endorsment carried over to your Canadian license.

"CHINOOK SUCKS!" Oc:=
DaveL
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DaveL » Mon Oct 31 2011, 03:42

From memory I spent about $4000 Canadian all up. Yes I payed a small enrollment fee and the standard $500 for tuition. I had lots of one on one time with Cathy, Jamie and one other instructor who's name I forget. Plus their practice exams are so close to the real it exam it made it a piece of cake. It took me 2 weeks to do the conversion because I got held up by having to redo my medical (can't sit the exam without a medical).

I had a job already lined up but if you dont Cathy was getting phone calls everyday from companies desperate for pilots.

To convert type ratings you must have 10 hours PIC on type in the last 12 months.
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Mon Oct 31 2011, 06:15

Thats funny because most guys I talk to spent close to $10,000 all up. Including accommadation. While I was there, four of us were doing conversions at the same time. We had one ground theroy session all at the same time which we were called in for. What a waste of time (we all felt that). Like you say, all the practice exams get you through. Which leaves a question. Why it is charged at all. And don't tell me that preflight breifings are part of that cost. Two thousand dollars for a one hour session. Oh and I forgot there was a bunch of abinitio students in the room too. Why make it a compulsory fee if most guys don't need it. Why not charge guy's like you who need extra help by the hour if you require or request special tuition? Guy's I have talked to since I did my license conversion there have all said the same.
Around 15 people have said they wouldn't go there if they were to make the choice again.
"Again." How much was your enrolment fee? You were charged for the stationary/paper/practice exam package as well weren't you?
You say you were there for two weeks. Why is an enrolment fee required at all? I understand if abinitio students signing on to a full coarse are charged but, come on, for guy's doing a conversion? Really? Like I said, it's all about the accountant stealing as many beans as he can get away with which by the way is how the world is these days.Just think about your bank fee's. Fair is fair but don't start saying you should have read the fine print. Don't take the piss.
You made me laugh with that comment "Standard fee, $500." Where did that standard come from? "For two weeks."
"You hit me with some speculation so here's some for you." Do you work for Chinook? Are you just feeding twisted polished information into this thread so you can keep sucking guys in. Guy's that are trying hard to make it? Just wondering, as what you say is way off base with what I and others at the same time felt and experianced and with what others who have come through since have said they experienced.

Just trying to make it better for hard working penny stretched pilots who want to come through too.

Conversions at Chinook not recommended. Oc:=
Dan1978
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Dan1978 » Mon Oct 31 2011, 09:56

909 you must have been rubbed up the wrong way pretty bad.
I did my conversion at Chinook in 2007 and my PPC again in 2008 and had really good service got my licence converted quickly (5 working days) and that was when there were heaps of Aussies and Kiwis comming thru......I did do my homework however and made sure I had my 10hrs instrument and a Canadian Medical in hand.
I flew 5 hrs and then did the flight test(further 1hr or so) which was the norm for most guys had one mate who had his licence done in 3 days....i found after talking to mates that did it with Heli college and BC heli that they took considerably longer.
a good rule of thumb is it will cost about $10000 to convert your licence this includes airfares accomodation and food/beer and the conversion.
If you do your homework there wont be any surprises...would recommend Chinook.
PS dont go there telling everyone you do it like this in Australia/NZ your not at home your in Canada and do it the way they want it done and you'll have no problems....some of the guys up there have forgotten more about flying than many of us will ever know
Dan
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Mon Oct 31 2011, 11:01

Has anyone done the conversion in Alberta? Any good or bad stories from the other side of the Rockies?
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Tue Nov 1 2011, 02:01

Looks like Rotorworks, Bighorn and Great Slave have schools in Alberta. You'll find a list of schools on the aviation alberta web page. Not sure if they do conversions.

Just did a search for Alberta. Not sure about these but will ask around. Didn't know Great Slave had a school but I tend to think doing it at a company like that woulnd't be a stupid idea.
Not sure. Have to do some more digging.

Conversions at Chinook not recommended. Oc:=
greeny

Postby greeny » Wed Nov 2 2011, 02:57

I did my NZ CPL H to Canadian CPL H with Chinook December 2010
I have heard they are not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for in life
Chinooks quality of instructors and service were excellent
I returned in March 2011 and flew a 20hr Canadian mountain course with them
I believe K.O. the pilot I flew the mountain course with tailored fully to my personable ability
He has been flying 206's in the BC mountains since before I was born
He not only introduced me to the Canadian mountains in full winter conditions
He also took the time to rid me of some previous bad habits
and set me up to pass a Canadian company check ride / job interview

Chinook had student accommodation walking distance from the hanger at $30 per night

I am sure if you all or email them they will give you a full run down of expected costs up front

I highly recommend Chinook

Ultima Medical at Vancouver airport did my medical and helped get my paperwork back the same day

Greeny
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Wed Nov 2 2011, 07:47

I apologize for my first post, it did sound a bit s**t in retrospect, but I found your critique of Chinook a little...ahhh...useless? Perhaps not the right word, but let me explain.
If you had of said "They quoted me $3000AUD to complete my conversion, then charged me $10000CAD, what a ripoff! And they said the accom and medical was included...but it wasn't! And I wet for my flight on saturday...but the instructors were all drunk so never showed!. I'd NEVER recommend them!" Then people would use this information and go "wow...id rather go somewhere else."
But unfortunately I did train there. Lynn Press is a charm,sorted me accommodation and everything without prompting, what a gem. Jamie sorted my paperwork and made me fill it out on time. Clayton was my instructor and was an excellent teacher in a completely new machine for me. KO and the other instructors were busy but were always willing to offer assistance when asked. Cathy is a switched-on woman who doesn't put up with crap, and I was glad she assessed me honestly as we progressed. The other students were great fun to be around, and Vancouver was a lovely place to adventure into. And at the end of the day, when the check flight was completed, I had 3 jobs to choose from.
It cost me (excluding flights to and from Canada) $11,000-odd AUD for the entire conversion including 3 weeks accom and 6days rental car. If you ask Lynn, she will email you a complete course costings outline, and convert that into whatever currency you are paying with.

Greeny hit it on the head.

I would recommend it.

"Not all converts are willing." :wink:

Cousin Banger.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Nov 3 2011, 00:43

nlnnOOnnln do find it hard making new friends, find you get left out or were you perhaps the last kid in gym class to get picked for a side. Sh!t do you have one big chip on your shoulder!!!
I know of close to ten fellow pilots who did their conversions at Chinook and not one of them have had a bad thing to say about the way they conduct business or the price in which they do it.
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Thu Nov 3 2011, 06:14

There we go with an attemp at attacking me with innuendo most likely based on how you found your own younger years.
But have you done a conversion there?
"Set you up to pass a company check ride." Sound's like you arrived just off a CPL pass straight out of school. I bet if I took you to another school and sent you through the same coarse you would say the same and be as equally impressed.
Thank you for that break down on cost. $10,000 eh! Very honest.
Like I said, my post was pointed at the cost not the training or instructor quality or how lovely a smile shone upon me as I wondered in in the morning.
Pretty normal stuff. Chinook doesn't have a monopoly on employing instructors that have a bunch of experience and expertease to impart and or a welcoming smile to greet you as you walk in past the reception desk.
I watched a documentry the other evening on TV. It was about two lovely old women in their seventies who were taking in homeless men. So lovely that even while being watched by the FBI, the agents couldn't believe that they were murdering these guys collecting on insurance policies they had taken out on them.
"Money makes the world go around."
I know one guy who prepaid money and was over by quite an amount (five figues) and after having no luck getting it back had his bank pull it for him.
That same cheery voice heard from the phone receiver was, "oh sorry I forgot. Miscommunication sorry. etc etc." Right on... Weeks later.
Sure I was surprised when I was handed my final bill with costs over which I was expecting and unaware of that beefed up the total.
Yes I accepted that housing was to be $40 dollars a night. How ever I didn't expect the coarse would take one month.
Originally if I remember rightly I was told it would take about two weeks and around $5000 all up. I found that I was waiting around a lot waisting time.
Add an extra 2 weeks @ $40 a night and the picture changed pretty quickly.
Sorted you a place (trailer) to stay with three guys paying $40 a night which is a $120 a day, which is $840 a week. Was it a favour? Looking after you?
Hand's up anyone who got more than five hours one on one classroom theory time while they were there. That would be $100 an hour.
Some of you guys think that Chinook is the only training school that gets calls from employers looking for pilots or think that it was Chinook that got you a job.
In fact most likely it was you who got youself the job by taking the chance by getting on a flight and heading out to Canada to have a go.
When there's job's there's job's and when there's not go home or go snowboarding.
I know for a fact that employers call lots of schools looking for pilots not just Chinook.
Mostly I find guys are to scared to say anything negative or disagree for fear that this industry is pretty small and thinking that one person has the pull to change their destiny.
You make your future by hard work showing those who you have worked for or who you work for you are reliable and have integrety. For guys going to Canada, saving for a time when you might need an extra dollar to get you through a time that you may have to wait through when times are tight and the industry is slow to be there at the moment things change is important.
Save your pennies. Shop around.
Last edited by nlnnOOnnln on Thu Nov 3 2011, 07:22, edited 2 times in total.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Thu Nov 3 2011, 07:18

http://www.chinookhelicopters.com/?page=content_costs
http://www.heli-college.com/fltcrs/brccon.htm
http://www.bchelicopters.com/courses/fo ... 00CBi.html

I wasn't trying to have a go at you champ, just trying to state the fact that a few extra minutes forming your ideas in a logical and constructive way could have provided people with some actual information, rather than...well...this.
nlnnOOnnln wrote:I found that I was waiting around a lot waisting time.
I can only ASSUME you got 100% on the test then...
A mate of mine done a flight a day and had it sealed up in a week, job done, under budget, off flying. He was an ag pilot with 7000hrs though and hated sitting around.
nlnnOOnnln wrote:Mostly I find guys are to scared to say anything negative for fear that this industry is pretty small and thinking that one person has the pull to change their destiny.
:roll: Negative it was, constructive it was not.
nlnnOOnnln wrote:Like I said, my post was pointed at the cost not the training or instructor quality or how lovely a smile shone upon me as I wondered in in the morning.
nlnnOOnnln wrote:Check out how much BCheli or the Helicollege list a conversion cost at and compare.

Chinook $4780 (R44)
BC Heli $4055 (H269)
Helicollege $4800 (R22)

Still go with Chinook.
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Thu Nov 3 2011, 07:26

Do you still believe it's going to cost that?
Like I said, I heard the other day guys are doing it some where for $3000.
Will try to post where after I run into who I heard it from again.
Yeah, I still use my wiz wheel.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Nov 3 2011, 12:13

From my earlier post awhile ago, I went to chinook in 08. I arrived in Vancouver on Sunday afternoon drove to Abbotsford and rented a room at Hank and Joann's place ( those that have been there before me know whom I'm on abooot)

I studied the conversion material on the Monday and Tuesday and sat and passed the exam Wednesday . I did the flying portion over the next 3 days and sat the flight test all in all took me a week. And appx $3500 that was on the 47

Only issue I had was we had to go into Abbotsford to get cash out to pay as they don't have credit card facility's which I kindly stated that they get out of the dark ages but I guess Cash is easier to bury!

Overall I had a great time instructors were awesome Rob Dyck and Clnton, Cathy as lovely as well. Yes it's a sausage factory but we are all there for the same reasons get in and get out if you are converting right? :D
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Nov 3 2011, 12:45

nlnnOOnnln wrote:There we go with an attemp at attacking me with innuendo most likely based on how you found your own younger years. .

I hear crickets

No I didnt do my conversion there, I went to Heli-College. It cost me $3600 for the licence conversion which included all the ground school for CPL, HAMRA and HARON and 3.6 in a 22 and flight testing fees.
My comment was in reference to the fact that you seem to be the only person on this site that has had a bad thing to say about Chinook and that everybody that I know who has been there has no issue......Why is that?
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Thu Nov 3 2011, 14:20

The reason is there in the words I have typed out. Idiot!
Well maybe not an idiot, you did get your conversion done for less.

I would have been happy getting my conversion done in just a few days, that may have changed my opinion.
Let me ask you a question. If yours had of taken a month what side of the fence would you be on now?
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Nov 3 2011, 15:24

[quote="nlnnOOnnln"]The reason is there in the words I have typed out. Idiot! /quote]

Maybe read the sentance through slowly this time "My comment was in reference to the fact that you seem to be the only person on this site that has had a bad thing to say about Chinook and that everybody that I know who has been there has no issue......Why is that?"
What do you think I am getting at when I say "Why is that?"....... IDIOT

P.S Bad luck for taking a month to do your conversion, just think of the money you could have saved if you did it in a shorter amount of time like the rest of us.
Mustering Guru
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mustering Guru » Thu Nov 3 2011, 16:20

Did my conversion at Chinook in Feb 2005, great people, great service. There was the odd time I had to wait around but I found that no different to any other flying school I have ever been to. I also went in on Sat and Sundays to make sure I would get through in a decent time frame. My total costs for 2.5 weeks was approx 5k CAD without accommodation, I stayed at the Best Western near the highway and walked to and from (5km) every single day to save money on a car plus the fresh air was a nice way to clear the mind when studying.

I still talk to Cathy and Lynn often and would vouch for them if anyone wanted to go there for a conversion.

Lyle Watts is a good bloke, I have used him for IFR renewals but he will hose you if you are not keeping an eye on him. He is a great instructor and has a good facility but nothing happens fast.

Cheers

MG
Last edited by Mustering Guru on Thu Nov 3 2011, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Thu Nov 3 2011, 22:05

Conversions at Chinook not recommended. Shop around.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Nov 3 2011, 22:52

given that ninnOOnnin has trained there, I feel he has every right to voice his opinions. Having never flown in Canada before personally (no intention of going there mind you) I welcome balanced opinions on training providers. Sounds like most people have had good experiences with said training school and there are others who haven't.

All of those knocking ninnOOnnin keep in mind that he may have a very valid grievance even though you may have had a dream run at said school. Customer satisfaction can change at the drop of the hat due to service provision (or lack thereof in this instance), just because you were there 2 - 5 years ago doesn't necessarily mean it's being run the same way today. I'm not saying this is so, however this has happened to many reputable flying schools in the past. Food for thought perhaps?
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Return to “International License Conversion”