The risks of flying into IMC...when you're likely not rated to do so

What have you heard?
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: The risks of flying into IMC...when you're likely not rated to do so

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Jul 13 2017, 13:34

Everybody has war stories believe it or not. Being humble is a quality of an aviator amongst the skills required in my opinion.

And just for the record what would it matter if I I wore a Burqua?.

This site is all about learning and no doubt you've got some experience in areas but there are a lot of chaps with 10 times the experience you and I have and are modest. Don't feel you have to compete with everyone, it's not an ego trip for the most part, but post like you want to contribute, you have some great input in areas.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
flyhuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyhuey » Thu Jul 13 2017, 14:24

Twistgrip
no doubt you've got some experience in areas but there are a lot of chaps with 10 times the experience you and I have and are modest

You are assuming. You definitely do not know me.
And, false modesty makes me want to puke.
This site is all about learning

If that is truly the case, then why are you so resistant to learning or accepting what I have to offer based upon my 5,000 hours of Actual Weather Instrument experience?

Re-read what I wrote:
I am just trying to save your lives and prevent another aircraft accident due to an encounter with inadvertent IMC.
Last edited by flyhuey on Thu Jul 13 2017, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Jul 13 2017, 15:17

As your quote says, you don't know me. :)
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Thu Jul 13 2017, 20:09

Flyhuey, I started reading your post but stopped as it was the same garbage that you used to post when you used the user name Cassidy_copter so I stopped.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Jul 13 2017, 23:39

Sorry, I have tried not to be critical, but, flyhuey, you are full of s#!t.

This forum is for actual helicopter pilots who want to keep up with the industry news, opinions (honest ones), ideas and general stuff we like to talk about. We don't need a blow hard know it all shoving garbage at us. If you are going to carry on about your fictional "experience", do it elsewhere.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
fearless_fly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby fearless_fly » Fri Jul 14 2017, 03:07

Why is it that every accident discussion on this site turns into personal s#!t fight?
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Fri Jul 14 2017, 04:00

Because on the Internet, nobody knows you are a Dog.
Airbeater
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Airbeater » Fri Jul 14 2017, 08:28

I've said it before to you Cassidy, no one cares if you were the first to fly the space shuttle if you're a FLOG!

Which is a shame, because if you had half the experience you claim, you could be an asset to the industry and this site.

What I have found is if you have to talk about it, you HAVE NOT done it. EAD CASS

AB
Birdy
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Birdy » Fri Jul 14 2017, 11:06

Very sad vodio to watch.
Felt like punching someone.

As for accidently flying blind, it can happen to anyone.
Iv always said if i cant see i dont go.
But years ago i was checking out the progress of a bushfire and while i was distracted by an annoying argument with a public servant on the UHF, a huge cloud of smoke appeared from beneath, totaly killing visability.
Instruments were useless becouse the burning smoke caused massive tearing.
I just held everything steady and hoped for some vision.
Its was only when i noticed the red dot image of the sun dissapearing over my shoulder that i realised i was starting to bank and dive.
Against all instincts i " put the sun back where it should be", and just as i leveled out i was instantly in clean air again, 500' higher than i started about 20 seconds ago.
Mitch Vernon
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mitch Vernon » Sat Jul 15 2017, 03:20

Transport Canada did a study in the late 1980's by putting 100 VFR pilots in a simulator.

The average time before the aircraft was in an unrecoverable position was 178 seconds. Two seconds short of three minutes! The average was only that high because one pilot managed 43 minutes.

I'll keep looking for the article. I'm pretty sure it was in an Transport Canada Aviation Safety Letter.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Jul 15 2017, 06:48

As a part of my company training whilst working in Canada we did a Pilot Decision Making course which was aimed at reducing the risk associated with IIMC from 'poor decision making' or straight out bad luck. At least this was one positive step taken by the regulator to mitigate the risk associated with IIMC.

Transport Canada also required 5 hours instrument time for the CPL conversion to again help someone in IIMC to simply maintain straight and level for a moment for orientation before doing a 180 degree turn to escape. It was not designed for sustained IMC flight.

The gent in this video appears to have not only deliberately flown into IMC but sustained it instead of trying to escape it.
blackstump
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby blackstump » Sat Jul 15 2017, 11:06

errr mr mchuey
did i just read this s#!t below ,, i had to look twice but it appears you wrote this stuff below... if not i apologise but...

are you really saying you took an aircraft you were not endorsed in, a twin at a 'busy international airport' and flew it.. you also taught yourself to fly two helicpoters (s#!t)
if so you are sir a complete hazard to aviation
so you flew this over people and buildings, near other aircraft without being legal to do so??? and you choose to skite about your hours and experience... so you have a donk full noise , now two engines full noise as you just firewalled the right one, so the aircraft is well accelarating so you would have been in the circuit 170 ish knots on the downwind, base and finals with both donks still flat out.. with descent thats about a 200kt final and landing FFS mate thats s#!t. how do you land at full noise???

if this is indeed your story it is not only a woeful desicion to fly and a disgrace to aviators but a completely fabricated story

I also heard and read on this forum "he who teaches himself, has a fool for a teacher" . . . Or, something like that. I taught myself to fly two helicopters and definitely more than two aeroplanes. Went on to get jobs on both, one a recip and one a turbine. The single seat aeroplanes, I had one chance to get it right. An old man, the owner of a Charter company, who I went to see about a job, after all day flying a Jet Ranger, fished into his top drawer, threw the keys to his pride and joy, a shiny Cessna 310Q. "But, but, Sir, I have never flown a Cessna 310, before", I whimpered. The old man, Ace Darrah, replied, "Well, Sonny, if ye can fly one them thar whirly clipters, I think you'll manage. Go take 'er around the pattern a half dozen times and bring 'er back. If ye like it, the job is yours." I took it around the pattern to make six takeoffs and landings, from a busy international airport. My last Final Approach, the Left (Critical) Engine Throttle Cable snapped, about 500 feet AGL. It was spring loaded to Wide Open Throttle. The 310 yawed, I countered with Rudder, whilst giving Full Throttle on the Right Engine, and made a Go-Around. No Checklist for that. No Instructor to babysit me. I came up with a plan to make a Normal Traffic Pattern, get dirty early, to increase Drag and slow the aircraft and then as soon as the Mains touched the runway, I would use the Left Engine's Mixture Control, like a Throttle and Closed it, taxied clear and back to parking on the Right Engine. Ace remarked, "I wondered what that noise was all about." I got the job and became the exclusive pilot for the CEO of a Gold Mining company, who always chartered that aircraft. Bear in mind, that was the first time I had ever laid eyes on a Cessna 310Q and never had any training in it. That would not be the only time during my career the Emergency Checklist did not cover the scenario, yet I made a safe landing or got a job as a result. Gawd, how did I ever do it?
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Jul 15 2017, 11:36

Can we close this thread now please. My bullsh1t detector has exploded
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Sun Jul 16 2017, 01:59

Zero display of Airmanship
Zero display of Self nor PAX preservation
Zero display of common-sense
Zero display of understanding or respect for weather
Zero display of turning back to seek other options, a plan B (alternate route, landing) yet there were plenty of opportunities to do so
Zero respect for air-law; DayVFR
Zero understanding of what IMC means

This imbecile was nothing short of a murderer, wilfully pressing a VFR operation into IMC especially at such low levels. The sad outcome being obvious Oc:=

May the poor innocent Passengers Souls - Rest in Peace
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Sun Jul 16 2017, 15:55

I've just seen the full video and it makes it even worse.
Last edited by Mag seal on Sun Jul 16 2017, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “I heard...”