Flight review

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
firie

Flight review

Postby firie » Thu Dec 4 2014, 01:28

Hi all. Seems to be some confusion amongst pilots regarding flight reviews.

Do CPL(H) pilots need to do a flight review every 2 years or is it only required for private license?

Thanks in advance.
Ecosse
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Flight review

Postby Ecosse » Thu Dec 4 2014, 01:53

NZ or Aus?

NZ yes unless you are an instructor with endorsement in date, or working under a Part 135 AOC and your FCCC is current. PM me if you need further information.
Coriolis
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Coriolis » Thu Dec 4 2014, 02:54

Australia.....absolutely! Flight Review required every 2 years unless something else, like an Instructor Renewal, supercedes it. In this regard, nothing has changed.
Life is like a ferris wheel;
Some days your on the top,
some days your on the botton!
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Thu Dec 4 2014, 04:25

Coriolis wrote:Australia.....absolutely! Flight Review required every 2 years unless something else, like an Instructor Renewal, supercedes it. In this regard, nothing has changed.

I was under the impression if you had done any sort of type rating/endorsement that restarted your 2 year BFR Period?
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Thu Dec 4 2014, 04:44

If the endorsement (or a large part of it was carried out by a GR1 instructor - and written in your log book as a flight review - (stamped & signed) - then it's a flight review - endorsements carried out by GR2 instructors (prior to Sep 1) don't count as HFR.

In Aust you'll need a FR every two years AND if you operate (or want to keep) LOW LEVEL - that's now requires a Low Level FR EVERY YEAR!!!

AND .. as it stands ... if you have TWINs (endorsed) on your licence - or the mighty R22 or R44 - you'll need to do a FLIGHT REVIEW in EACH TYPE to keep them current FROM NOW ON.

No cost to industry .....

Frog
Edit: NVFR now also requires a review
firie

Postby firie » Thu Dec 4 2014, 05:12

Thanks all for your replies.
I've had a few people tell me you no longer need flight review in Aus if you fly at least every 90 days.
Obviously this is incorrect.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Dec 4 2014, 08:53

Don't forget that if you do training for a rating (old endorsement) you also have to do a flight review after the training.

Again, no cost to the industry.

Still can't believe that the media hasn't been involved in the bun flight.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Coriolis
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Coriolis » Thu Dec 4 2014, 22:40

Froginasock, just to clarify 1 point above....the endorsement (pre-SEP14) conducted by a Grade 1 MUST BE CONDUCTED UNDER A FLYING SCHOOL AOC for it to be acceptable as a HFR. The endorsement could be conducted by a Grade 1 operating independent of a School however, that would NOT qualify as a HFR as the HFR component could only be conducted by a Flying School.
Life is like a ferris wheel;

Some days your on the top,

some days your on the botton!
oei
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby oei » Fri Dec 5 2014, 02:33

Coriolis wrote:The endorsement could be conducted by a Grade 1 operating independent of a School

I was under the impression that "Private Endorsements" are no longer allowed , it must be under a part 141/142 organisation
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Fri Dec 5 2014, 03:50

oei wrote:
Coriolis wrote:The endorsement could be conducted by a Grade 1 operating independent of a School

I was under the impression that "Private Endorsements" are no longer allowed , it must be under a part 141/142 organisation

From Sep 01 ... that is correct

I think Coriolis was pointing out that prior to Sep 01 a pilot may have received a new endorsement from a "GR1 'independent' & external from a flight school - so it couldn't count as a HFR. Now both are required to be conducted from a school.
Bootch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bootch » Fri Dec 5 2014, 06:08

Sounds like you guys are F*$k3D over there. Hope this approach isn't infectious.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Fri Dec 5 2014, 06:37

hand in pants wrote:Still can't believe that the media hasn't been involved in the bun flight.

Even if the media were involved would it make a difference? To the average Joe bloggs out there, what would a part 61 mean anyway? If he can still buy his cheap jet spar with virgins ticket one way for 69 dollars why would he care. The media probably realise this so don't bother reporting it as it won't create much interest. Maybe its that, or maybe they are themselves are not aware of the situation and need to be made aware.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Dec 5 2014, 08:16

heli2o wrote:
hand in pants wrote:Still can't believe that the media hasn't been involved in the bun flight.

Even if the media were involved would it make a difference? To the average Joe bloggs out there, what would a part 61 mean anyway? If he can still buy his cheap jet spar with virgins ticket one way for 69 dollars why would he care. The media probably realise this so don't bother reporting it as it won't create much interest. Maybe its that, or maybe they are themselves are not aware of the situation and need to be made aware.

Yup because the sheeple are more interested in what Kim Kardashians sh!t looks like as opposed to who is in charge of their lives when they get into a flying machine. Might be a different story if Tony's plane was GA
vortexstate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby vortexstate » Tue Dec 9 2014, 03:36

Hello Pilots, one point of interest..... our changes to licencing came about between the previous out going Labor Minister for Transport, Anthony Albanese, and the previous out going head of CASA, John Mc Cormick. Appears to be their departing blow to an already ailing industry and since the whole thing is set in legislation, the current Government has no chance of making the required changes to plug the holes before we sink. It has got that whole Titanic feeling about it!
Over the last several months, CLARC must be sick of hearing my voice over the phone enquiring as to whether I'm submitting the correct forms for licencing changes, reviews etc.
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby b3n.n3lson » Tue Dec 9 2014, 05:01

All,

Coming up for my flight review next year in September.

I was wondering if anyone could outline what is involved in a HFR.

I hold a CPL and a R22 Endorsement at current, however I will be doing my 44 mid next year.

Need to get back flying, been over 8mths.

Anyone in need of ferrying or company on long trips I work a 2:2:2:4 week roster. So I have plenty of time off for those long trips.
Ben

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Tue Dec 9 2014, 10:30

flight reviews usually involve a bit of everything to cover what you would do on a normal flight to CPL standard. Then additional items, emergencies etc.

an instructor will tailor it as well to suit the applicant keeping in mind his current job and experience level and the fact that some emergencies would have only been covered at the last review as well.

There is a guide Instructors can follow in the form of a CAAP. Read here.. Section 8 explains how the test should be conducted..

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/m ... 5_81_1.pdf

Just remember its a review not a test. Instruction can be given when required.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Wed Dec 10 2014, 06:22

b3n.n3lson wrote:All,

Coming up for my flight review next year in September.

I was wondering if anyone could outline what is involved in a HFR.

I hold a CPL and a R22 Endorsement at current, however I will be doing my 44 mid next year.

Need to get back flying, been over 8mths.

Anyone in need of ferrying or company on long trips I work a 2:2:2:4 week roster. So I have plenty of time off for those long trips.

You will not need to do an HFR, the 44 endorsement will cover it.
Arm out the window
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Arm out the window » Wed Dec 10 2014, 08:48

Have the 44 and 22 been rolled into the SEH class? I thought that was planned but hadn't happened yet.
Hircher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hircher » Wed Dec 10 2014, 10:23

+1
Has anything positive happened with Part 61?
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Dec 11 2014, 02:14

I have emailed my contact at CASA to see what is happening with the amended Type Rating Instrument, but it is not out yet.
There is also an ATO / CASA meeting today and it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.

Return to “How do I...”