Sling Load Night Ops.... Advice please ?

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Sling Load Night Ops.... Advice please ?

Postby muppet » Sat Mar 29 2014, 20:50

Interesting to see the respective viewpoints… I would be reluctant to do sling work at night, largely cos I am pretty p-poor at it even during the day… But certainly up to each individual & operator what they get up to. Guess it all depends on what the sling load is and where etc If plenty of light, why not I guess?

Couple of things to consider for all those who venture forth to conduct aerial work using NVG include the legal requirement to maintain unaided night minima (i.e. you are supposed to be able to see the ground without your goggs!) and the plethoric challenges associated with using NVIS until you are well used to them, e.g. depth perception, dust issues, bright lights etc. Most crewmen operating a winch de-goggle or look under for their depth perception so being close enough to see the ground with lights is rather useful. And of course you need some very good plan up your sleeve for when the things stop working on you at the worst possible time. It can happen… NVG up in the hills (i.e. no IFR option) on a moonless night like some seem to do appears to me to be tempting fate a little… Oh, and having 30,000 hours does give you the advantage of experience, but can also mean you have just been lucky plenty of times… Just saying cos I know some very high time pilots who have pushed boundaries like safety and law like you would not believe and wear it like a badge of honour. But that's another thread altogether.
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Sat Mar 29 2014, 20:58

Stupid thing keeps crashing on me. Just wanted to clarify the 30,000 hr comment was not a dig at the guy referred to (Hannibal). I don't know him personally at all, so apologies if any such inference was drawn.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Mar 30 2014, 10:35

Hahahahaha, I think if you read back you'll see it was you that started with the sarcasm mate. My response to your original point was that NVFR sling using nothing more than a landing light was a particularly stupid idea and I've little doubt that in training schools NZ wide you have started a round of arguments that will run and run for a long time. NVG's is also narrowing down your opportunities somewhat if that is the only way to achieve it. That pretty much narrows it down to 1!

A 30,000 hr+ pilot with 40 yrs experience doing NVG fire fighting to save lives is altogether a different proposition.

As I said before. If you feel the need to go out and fly sling at night using just a landing light go for it. Please prove what a hero you are by posting the video here.

You clearly have a need to have the last word, I'm done here, do what ever you feel the need to do.
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:04

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of that saying that goes - better to say nothing and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt-
Just wondering, the funny little things that pop into your head sometimes.
oneliner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby oneliner » Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:33

Evil Twin, you have completely missed the point, mainly, I suspect, because you've conjured up some massive generalisation in your mind of something you know nothing about. No sarcasm, fact, don't confuse the two.
rodger rodger
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rodger rodger » Sun Mar 30 2014, 23:49

pop;
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Mon Mar 31 2014, 16:35

1 or 2 Cyalume or chemical light sticks are an idea to attach to the load to enable a quick load disposition from the cockpit.
If you have a spotlight as well as landing lights use the spot for a vert ref and your ldg lights in the normal manner.
If you are on NVG's, an IR kit for your spotlight is a big advantage.
The hint with long lines is to slow it down.
The best hint is practice or rehearse it first.

Steve
Keep it flying, don't quit!

Return to “How do I...”