hours per week

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
KevOK

hours per week

Postby KevOK » Thu Apr 19 2012, 05:21

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, this is all new to me. After 15 years in Demolition I NEED a new career and I'm hoping to get my CPL(H).
I've been reading this site a lot and have found some very useful info, thanks all. I'm wondering how many hours I could expect to get per week flying for cents, just to get my hours up in my first job whatever that would be. If I was flying tourists about for example, would I get 40 hours per week or less? I'm willing to work for sweet FA for a while but I'd like to know how long that would be.
Any advice welcome
thanks
K
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: hours per week

Postby havick » Thu Apr 19 2012, 05:44

How long is a piece of string...

If you even get a first flying job, expect to fly anywhere from 100 hours per year - around 400 hours per year. It will depend on the operation you work for whether it's seasonal or year round, and whether you even get a flying position straight up or if you have to load the aircraft for a year until a pilot moves up the ladder.

It's been a long time since I've had much to do with that side of the industry but I doubt much has changed.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
KevOK

Postby KevOK » Thu Apr 19 2012, 09:12

Thanks for your reply buddy,
Very helpful. It must be hard to make a living for 3-4 years then. I've no problem working for any operation as long as I get fed and some hours in the air. Gotta start some where I guess. Don't know how the wife will deal with it though.
K
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Apr 19 2012, 09:26

I would suggest doing your training at a school that is has their own tourism operation.

Both The Helicopter Group and PHS at Moorabbin (VIC) has a tourism operation at Ayers Rock, both provide accommodation. Chopperline is no longer part of the Curry Kenny group (it was sold not long ago) so I'm not sure if they have an operation you could slot into after your training as easily as it once was.

I think Heliwest also have some options after training, but I don't know exactly what.

Hope this helps. I've been out of that area for nearly 10 years, but the above is a proven career track if you are willing to stick it out.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Apr 19 2012, 10:36

This has got to be a wind up!
No flaming please...
Kev. Don't work for free, it only creates a race to the bottom. There are so many other lines here, but I'll leave it for now.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Apr 19 2012, 10:45

CYHELI, of course it is... at least this one is a bit harder to jump on the bandwagon than the one this morning.
angrywasp
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby angrywasp » Sat Apr 21 2012, 02:00

Working cheap, great for the operator but not so good for the industry as a whole. Would suggest you leave out your background in demolition while promoting yourself to any prospective employer.

Return to “How do I...”