Heliair closing down?

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Heliair closing down?

Postby ballslapper » Tue Sep 16 2008, 03:44

Heard on the grapevine today that Heliair maybe ceasing operations at the end of the year. Would be a shame cause I have lots of good things about them. Is this fact or fiction....anyone in the know??

BS
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Heliair closing down?

Postby hand in pants » Tue Sep 16 2008, 10:40

Is that the company based in Adelaide and Wagga.
Had a couple of A119's with belly tanks on them in Adelaide last time I was there.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Tue Sep 16 2008, 11:56

Yes. And a school at Canberra at one stage I think.
Bambara
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bambara » Tue Sep 16 2008, 12:44

And the contract for the Ch 10 chopper in Melbourne
pavlov's dog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby pavlov's dog » Tue Sep 16 2008, 22:30

I've heard a few tidbits:

1. Koalas were to be sold as SA CFS wouldn't use them as they weren't happy with their drop pattern,

2. They lost their Channel 7 contract in Adelaide to another operator, and

3. Their Chief Pilot was returning to Army to fly MRH90.

Don't know if all that together is enough for the company to fold, but if it is it's a shame. HeliAir is a good little company: nice people and professional to the last man. Would've thought the remaining media contracts, fire attack and mining work would've been enough to keep them going?
PlankBlender
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby PlankBlender » Tue Sep 16 2008, 23:46

Some info not specifically related to the company, but a source in the know tells me last summer's fire contracts were bad to the point of making no significant profit, which could be another building block of a small company's demise.

If as a company you only have a handful of sources of income, it only takes one or two of them to go away or become unprofitable in this business with its huge fixed costs, to bring the overall margin down to something that isn't sustainable in the long term :(

Always sad to see a potential employer go to the wall, let's hope it's just a rumor that doesn't materialise..
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Sep 17 2008, 00:00

Company Directors / CEO announced impending closure to staff last Friday.

Don't think that CP leaving was a factor - he'd put in notice a while back and a replacement was being sought.

Pavlov is correct - Koalas had been sold and Seven contract went to another operator.

A sad day - lots of unhappy people.

**Someone will have to pick up the work thats left, will be interesting to see who takes it on.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ballslapper » Thu Sep 18 2008, 02:02

3. Their Chief Pilot was returning to Army to fly MRH90.

When........2012. Enjoy those Kennys at Oakey S Ho
Bloke
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bloke » Thu Nov 6 2008, 02:18

G'day All,

Now that the dust has settled, what's the go with Heliair's Santos contract, the Moomba-Canberra pipeline job and the remaining media stuff? Have they been acquired by another company holus-bolus or been farmed off individually?

Cheers,
Bloke
Practice
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Practice » Mon Feb 9 2009, 13:20

Ch 7 went to Aust Helicopters, Ch 10 went to Heli Star, Ch 9 doesn't have a contract but NWS is with Heli Star. Not sure about the pipeline or SANTOS.

While I'm on the topic though, anyone know much about HeliStar? I know that they do the surf contract in Adelaide and that their Chief Pilot works full time for Aust Heli but thats about it.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Feb 9 2009, 22:18

I think you'll find that Australian Helicopters won the CH7 contract on their own back well before Heliair decided they were closing the doors. Helistar was there to pick up the pieces for CH10, and CH9 well I don't think they'll ever come to a permanent arrangement with their aircraft (but time will tell I suppose, I hope they do for their own sake).

SANTOS (Moomba) was picked up by Heliaust out of Bankstown and e few of the smaller pipeline type jobs are still being decided on in the tender process (they could go to anyone).
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
VFR44
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VFR44 » Tue Feb 10 2009, 00:39

Last edited by VFR44 on Wed Feb 11 2009, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
" So long...And thanks for all the fish!"
Erbine
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Erbine » Tue Feb 10 2009, 07:08

VFR44 who cares........This is a place of rumors and news :roll: Time will tell what happens.. still flying that flight sim hay??
Erbine
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Erbine » Tue Feb 10 2009, 11:10

VFR44.. you do nothing but pester people on this site from what i have seen. Every time i logon here(once or twice a month)you seem to asunder people. And yeah... i know your type very well!

Anyway good luck for the boys at heliair to find new jobs. :wink:
Blled Valve
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Blled Valve » Tue Feb 10 2009, 13:26

VFR44 Im interested also. Are you are a pilot or what is your involvement in our industry? From what I hear all the boys from Heliair have moved on and doing very well. From the ones I have met over the years they all came across as very proffessional and obliging. Not sure what your hang up is?

Return to “How do I...”