Aust or nz / R22 or B206

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
mill87

Aust or nz / R22 or B206

Postby mill87 » Sat Sep 2 2017, 14:11

Hi!
Im considering getting my helicopter license and have a few questions you may be able to help me with.

Firstly if I was able to how much of a benefit would I get in regards to employment if I completed my all my training in a Bell 206 compared to a R22.

Secondly are there any advantages of training in NZ compared to Aust if I was to look at working in Canada or Europe in the long run.

Thanks
CNH320

Re: Aust or nz / R22 or B206

Postby CNH320 » Sun Sep 3 2017, 09:17

Hi there if you are looking at training in NZ then you can't go past Wanaka Helicopter. (I did my flight training there). www.wanakahelicopters.co.nz. Wanaka is located in the Southern lakes of the South Island in NZ and has some of the best mountains flying in NZ. Cheers and good luck.
AirTokoroa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AirTokoroa » Sun Sep 3 2017, 11:34

Hey. I would highly recommend doing the bulk of your training in the Cabri G2 over either of those machines. It is a 21st century training helicopter, much safer than a R22 and a whole lot more modern, and fun to fly! Training in a piston aircraft rather than turbine is in my opinion quite important as you will gain a greater appreciation of only having limited engine power and how to get yourself out of trouble if you end up flying smaller machines in the future.

Training in NZ is pretty amazing, we have a huge range of landscapes and weather patterns which can be quite challenging at times but will set you up well for future flying around the world. Also you will come out with more hours at the end of your CPL (150) as the hour requirements in Aust are lower, which will end up costing a bit more but always totally worth it.

This is only my opinion but I hope it helps! Good luck with your flying! Cheers
:D
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Mon Sep 4 2017, 06:25

Hi Mill

Q1: Difficult to say with absolute certainty, but most likely you're better off flying in an R22 (or Cabri) and integrating an R44 rating afterwards, or during your training. I don't know of any employers who will take a student fresh out of training and put them straight into a Jet Ranger with anything less than 500 hours under their belt. If you can get the Jet Ranger at the same rate as the R22, then this might be a different story, but if you're paying standard training rates, you're better off saving your money and train in the cheaper machine (which is what I would do).

Q2: You're looking at 105 hours in Australia versus 150 in NZ, or approx. $60K versus $85K. For the extra NZ hours your get a sling rating, low level, enough time to integrate a night rating, get a significant amount of mountain training, and overall come out as a more competent pilot when you graduate - your call.

Your first jobs initially will focus mostly on building hours (most likely in an R44), then getting turbine time later on.

H.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Mon Sep 4 2017, 08:39

Wow! ok, so if you can afford to do your licence in a B206 go for it. Or maybe the 44 but If you can afford that, then maybe aviation isn't for you because your successful in your own right and don't need to work in an industry that will bleed you dry.

Don't go near a cabri for many reasons but most of all there are none in any service other than private or training and it's a pointless exercise and they scare me more than 22's. You seen one up close or asked a LAME about them...... Enough said.

NZ before Australia as it's easier to convert that way.

The best and most valuable advice anyone in this industry can give you is..... Unless you have a job or know someone who said they can get you one in writing which never happens. Go with a company that HAS opportunities to progress within or with sister companies. You really have no idea how hard this industry is and just going at a whim will not help you.
I can't stress this point enough.
Unis have been made accountable for medical students when there is just no job prospects for them. The same with helicopters. So many students, so many low hr pilots out there looking for that first job.

ITS Hard Work to just get Work. Let alone a flying gig or chance. Make sure you have an avenue or you like many will get to a out 200 hrs and just say F#=%/ it it's not worth the effort or the shi+@ wages for a title.
Dem winds are gonna blow
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Mon Sep 4 2017, 08:41

Wow! ok, so if you can afford to do your licence in a B206 go for it. Or maybe the 44 but If you can afford that, then maybe aviation isn't for you because you're successful in your own right and don't need to work in an industry that will bleed you dry.

Don't go near a cabri for many reasons but most of all there are none in any service other than private or training and it's a pointless exercise and they scare me more than 22's. You seen one up close or asked a LAME about them...... Enough said.

NZ before Australia as it's easier to convert that way.

The best and most valuable advice anyone in this industry can give you is..... Unless you have a job or know someone who said they can get you one in writing which never happens. Go with a company that HAS opportunities to progress within or with sister companies. You really have no idea how hard this industry is and just going at a whim will not help you.
I can't stress this point enough.
University's have been made accountable for medical students when there is just no job prospects for them. This is not the same with helicopters RTO's. They will take your money and laugh. So many students and so many low hr pilots out there looking for that first job.

ITS Hard Work to just get Work. Let alone a flying gig or chance. Make sure you have an avenue or you like many will get to a out 200 hrs and just say F#=%/ it it's not worth the effort or the shi+@ wages for a title.
Last edited by Rotorpilot on Mon Sep 4 2017, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Dem winds are gonna blow
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Mon Sep 4 2017, 08:59

Agree a lot with rotorpilot. If you can afford your training in a B206, then you're going to be in for a shock with your first pay packet.
Also, without being negative, if you really want to work flying in Europe and Canada then train there but, that's a tough gig. Europe is very close knit with horrendous exams and bureaucracy and some places aren't all that. Canada can be awesome but again you'll need the right to live and work there. So initially....your first 3 years, you'll be working in Australia or NZ. It's not good at the moment, but there are plenty of people out there willing to take your money.

Go for it, because it's worse not knowing...but be aware. Good luck.

Cheers SP.

Return to “How do I...”