ATPL H Perf. Loading question Help

Need a hand? Try the *Forum FAQ* link at the top. Failing that, post a question here.
TKG

ATPL H Perf. Loading question Help

Postby TKG » Sat Oct 20 2018, 20:32

Hi guys, I am self studying the above and have hit a brick wall with a particular question.
If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated....

Given the following info
Temp ISA +15, QNH 1013, GW 9000lb and S76 Config doors open with anti ice on with snow kit.

Your determination of max permitted altitude for vfr operations?

I am guessing it is something to go with the o% ROC reqmnt but struggling to work out how and where to apply the temp deviation and the config.

Any advice on which graph etc would save be great. It’s driving me nuts this morning!

Cheers
Geoff Williams

Re: ATPL H Perf. Loading question Help

Postby Geoff Williams » Sun Oct 21 2018, 13:26

Some info missing from your question.

Is it PC1 or PC2, or in SK76 speak, Category A or B? This will determine what WAT chart to use. On these charts are penalties to apply for sliding doors open etc which you will need to apply. If it's VFR and Airwork then the Performance Standard doesn't apply. Otherwise for VFR it's 0% and use the single engine climb graph entering at 0 fpm and work backwards. Then check if they are after the nearest VFR hemispherical level. All depends of the specific wording of the question. Good luck!
TKG

Postby TKG » Sun Oct 21 2018, 18:01

Geoff Williams wrote:Some info missing from your question.

Is it PC1 or PC2, or in SK76 speak, Category A or B? This will determine what WAT chart to use. On these charts are penalties to apply for sliding doors open etc which you will need to apply. If it's VFR and Airwork then the Performance Standard doesn't apply. Otherwise for VFR it's 0% and use the single engine climb graph entering at 0 fpm and work backwards. Then check if they are after the nearest VFR hemispherical level. All depends of the specific wording of the question. Good luck!

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately no information missing, that’s the question word for word,
I was working through it as you mentioned ie start at 0 FPM ROC and work backwards, trouble is with no altitude info I’m not sure where to apply the ISA + 15 to figure out an OAT to then drop down to get a px altitude as this could be anywhere!

I did manage to work it out by starting at MSL at 30c ( ISA +15) and work back to find where it works on the graph but this is very time consuming and I am sure there is a simple way to do it that someone might have figured out!

Anyway I appreciate the help, thanks mate
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Tue Oct 23 2018, 14:32

It’s a trick question.

So the aircraft is configured for Anti Ice and snow yet the doors are open and it’s 30 degrees Celsius...

Seriously, who writes these questions?
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.

Return to “How do I...”