Request - Robinson R-44 acoustic profile data

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Request - Robinson R-44 acoustic profile data

Postby iPilot » Mon Feb 24 2014, 10:14

Ladies, gentlemen, evening.

I've been asked to provide an acoustic noise profile on the R-44 Raven I for the purpose of a DA / planning approval.

You all know how I love councils and Shires.

So to appease the pen pushers and government slugs, I need to provide this information. I'm in the process of sourcing the information from a contractor but if someone's already had to do it, then some guidance would be ideal.

Many thanks
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Request - Robinson R-44 acoustic profile data

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Feb 24 2014, 10:36

http://www.easa.europa.eu/certification ... -R.121_(IM)_Robinson_R44-03-17012012.pdf

Not an overwhelming amount of information by any means, but I have used it before. Google noise signatures.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Mon Feb 24 2014, 17:28

So I'm taking a wild guess that: Bzzzz.... putt... putt... Kaboom isn't what they want to hear

:D
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Mon Feb 24 2014, 19:38

G'day IPilot,
Are they requiring you to do noise testing for your proposed site?.

You may find if they are requiring you to do an EIS(environmental impact statement) it would be necessary to do on site noise testing measured by an acoustics engineer.

This can be a costly and lengthy experience, good luck with it all let us know how you get on.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby bl@ckers » Mon Feb 24 2014, 19:56

G'day iPilot,

I have been through the process that you are looking at. You need to look at the noise rating over the day, which is dependant on the surrounding terrain, so the data I have (from vipac) would be of no use.

From memory it cost about $2-$3k.

So unfortunately no cutting corners.
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby iPilot » Mon Feb 24 2014, 23:45

Cheers fellas, yep need that acoustic data after receiving a noise complaint from one individual. Got some info through Google but there's not a lot. Getting hold of an acoustic guy today to see when, how and how much to get this data sorted.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Feb 25 2014, 07:34

you could try Heliview in New Plymouth, NZ.

they have had to go through the process in the past, and might tell you the good and bad of onsite testing, which process to use etc. different country but from what ive seen, i think the whingers are the same on both sides of the Tasman!

its not me, but ive heard that they went through it.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Feb 26 2014, 10:17

If you are in Oz, talk to Steven Cooper
au.linkedin.com/pub/steven-cooper/

He did tests for us and for the HAA and has an impeccable reputation.
spcrewie
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby spcrewie » Fri Apr 21 2017, 05:42

iPilot....

Did you ever end up getting the acoustic testing done?
I'm being ordered to have testing done too for a permit I'm trying to obtain and I'd be interested in hearing how you went and what the cost was.

Cheers
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Apr 21 2017, 12:48

For our heliport at the time in 2002 it was about $25k for acoustic testing and reporting for the environmental impact statement.

Add on top of that your time for the aircraft, 3-4 approaches from each flight path direction if you have more than one path in/out.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby iPilot » Sat Apr 22 2017, 20:24

Sure did crewie, all noise data was conducted at a cost of just under $7000. That was nearly 4 years ago.

The WA State Govt still hasn't made its decision on the floating helipad for Perth and I doubt they will.

I relocated over east and have been flying over here for a while now while they make a decision.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”