oblivion movie helicopter

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
toscar12

oblivion movie helicopter

Postby toscar12 » Thu Jul 25 2013, 02:21

hello I was wondering if anyone with some serious knowledge of helicopter mechanics could help settle a dispute about the helicopter from oblivion the movie. What I would like to know is if the tail rotor would be needed or not there are scenes where tom cruise is shown using steering peddles to use it so its obviously used for steering it seems. But with the two engines moving independently would it still need it. I say it would just for stability when flying especially with turning. so if anyone who has actually handled a helicopter could share there view I would appreciate it.
toscar12

Re: oblivion movie helicopter

Postby toscar12 » Thu Jul 25 2013, 04:06

Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Jul 25 2013, 04:18

It's pretend! :wink:
kh4
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kh4 » Thu Jul 25 2013, 05:16

Yes Evil, I think they get that,(well I hope anyway) doesn't stop them wondering, I'm liking the avatar helicopter design myself, looks like I could actually make that one work..
The bubble ship is pretty impressive in real life all the same. albeit unreal..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD9keeVD-Uc
Cheers
toscar12

Postby toscar12 » Thu Jul 25 2013, 07:36

lol yeah I know its pretend! but seriously if it were real the tail rotor is necessary isn't it even if it could turn with just the engines changing its direction.
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Thu Jul 25 2013, 08:59

Great question! Directional control of the Bubbleship, and similar (experimental) aircraft is achieved through manipulation of the Thrust Differential Input (TDI) pedals - as shown here by Tom. In craft of this design the 'tail rotor' (as you call it), acts as a positive fiction device which improves the craft's mystification of aerodynamics.

Hope this helps!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Jul 25 2013, 09:30

But don't overflap the grunge trunnion or it's curtains for all. Or LTE, whichever happens first.
555ron
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 555ron » Thu Jul 25 2013, 10:21

I was always curious if the helicopter in Megashark versus Crocosaurus needed a coaxial main rotor, NOTAR tail rotor and a pair of tractor propellers on the side of the fuselage.

Also, this helicopter can be air worthy 5 minutes after it crashes.
KNOW NUFFEN
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby KNOW NUFFEN » Thu Jul 25 2013, 12:15

Hmm . fantastic clip thanks KH4 ,
Don't know much about Thrust Differential Imput thing ,Rattlegun , but Toms better half, the lovely Olga, was triggering something rattling and thrusting ..........
KN

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”