Who is looking at this site vote here

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!

Where are you at??

Entry Level Below 250hrs NO JOB
36%
Entry Level Below 250hrs Have Job
8%
250 - 1000 hrs Good job
7%
250 - 1000 hrs Bad Job
3%
1000 - 2500 hrs same old s#!t
4%
1000 - 2500 hrs Varied usefull stuff
9%
2500 hrs + Why do i do this.
3%
2500 hrs + Still Happy
17%
IFR
6%
Co-Pilot
2%
Instructor
3%

Total votes: 805
six-three Bravo
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby six-three Bravo » Fri Jun 15 2007, 04:10

I would be interested to see how many guys are in the 250 - 1000 bracket with no job. It was recently pointed out to me that pilots like myself stuck between 500 -1000 hours are in a difficult postion because we have too many hours for a first start position on few hundred dollars a week, and not enough hours to graduate to full time turbine positions.

Anyone else stuck in Limbo of 500-1000 with no job? I have been told twice this year that I have too many hours. who would of thought.

Cheers

six-three Bravo
Uncle Chop Chop
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Uncle Chop Chop » Fri Jun 15 2007, 06:06

Six Three Bravo, this is Airman Chop Chop Sir.....

Did I read correctly awhile back that you have a Instructors rating and around 700 hours? There isn't much opportunity getting some casual instructing around the traps? just curious.....

Chop Chop Out & About
Will Fly For Food
Islandheli
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Islandheli » Sat Jun 16 2007, 02:56

335 hours having a ball on our little Island.
Hey UCC where you at?
CY Heli stop reading stats, you'll go blind!
Capt LT doing a good job, no more biscuits, please!!!
Scud
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Scud » Wed Jan 9 2008, 02:08

I'm sitting around 500hrs and am hoping I'll be slotting into a role in the next few weeks. Only got back from overseas mid December.

I think it really depends on where you're prepared to go, what jobs you're going to target and what degree of effort is put into to the search. I completed my licence in Sept. 2005 and was lucky enough to get a job straight away. From what I've experienced thus far, I thinks it's a matter of not being overly fussy about the job you go into and also remaining a little humble to start off. I came from a background of 20 years business experience in management positions in marketing and business development so to go back to junior positions was an interesting experience. Just need to remind yourself why you got into it in the first place.

Anyway, I think it's a matter of lots of phone calls, making and retaining contacts, emails and checking places like Bladeslapper and the AFAP site at every possible opportunity. Also need to keep on calling so CP's get to remember your name and that you're still actively looking. Remember, things happen fast on the job front...when they happen and you have to be prepared to move quickly, especially in the below 1000hr category. At least that's my perception...others might have different experience though. Even though it's dead over the Xmas/New Year period, I've seen at least 3 low-hour positions become available, one of which I'm confident about securing...touch wood!

Spoke with Sky Safari the other day and while they had advertised recently for one pilot, I was advised they now need two...so there's an immediate insight simply from ringing

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. They're just a few thoughts.

Scud
nathan_m
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby nathan_m » Wed Jan 9 2008, 02:35

I have yellow L plates attached when i fly.... :roll:
Vortex Life

Re: Who is looking at this site vote here

Postby Vortex Life » Mon Jul 5 2010, 10:37

Hi All another first time user checking in... this is a great forum for industry. Thanks to the creators.

cheers
swami
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby swami » Tue Jul 6 2010, 03:00

Afternoon All,

I am in the 1000-2000 hr group.

No Job, have been pounding the pavement, flying, driving, ringing, emailing but to no avail.

Everyone keeps saying there is not a lot about. Gets frustrating, but what can you do.

Hopefully something pops up soon or I guess it will be time to hang up the headset.

Swami
BizR

Postby BizR » Tue Jul 6 2010, 07:45

I fall into the 'right at the beginning' section.
Hopefully I'll stumble across a big healthy rabbits foot after the training.
truthinbeer
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby truthinbeer » Wed Sep 21 2011, 06:19

I'm in same category as BizR. Doing CPL (A) and will then move onto PPL (H). For me it's a goal-setting exercise as i do not intend to 'work' in the industry, I'll be flying for pleasure. Hopefully I'll bump into some of you mob along the way.
HELINUTZ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELINUTZ » Fri Mar 22 2013, 07:32

Just started CPL (H) in Feb, currently have 8 hours but trying to fly 1hr a week as I work fulltime.
I don't have any close friends in the industry besides the instructors.
This forum really helped me get up to speed with what happens in the industry. If there are any student pilots in the Sydney area please PM would love to share thoughts on how training is going. cheers
ringstate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re:

Postby ringstate » Fri Mar 22 2013, 21:39

Scud wrote:Spoke with Sky Safari the other day and while they had advertised recently for one pilot, I was advised they now need two...so there's an immediate insight simply from ringing

Scud

Better hope those guys get themselves some helicopters for the new blokes to fly first !!!!
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Fri Mar 22 2013, 22:23

Check the dates, this is an old thread brought back by HELINUTZ.
DamianField
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DamianField » Mon Apr 14 2014, 10:52

CPL(H) student. 50 hours in HUGHES H269. Studying theory from Jan to get out of the way. After 25 years in ICT and three children, wife said pursue your dream. Going for my HR with DG road Thursday to be a better prospect. Looking after children with wife working part time. Once this school holiday done continue study. When that's done back in the air and finish.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Apr 7 2016, 21:32

The messages 'transfer' from your outbox to the sent pile only once they have been opened and read at the receiving end.
Kulwin Park
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Kulwin Park » Sat Apr 9 2016, 08:42

You forgot to mention other essential people in the Survey looking at this Forum:
AIRCREW people, ENGINEERS, company GENERAL MANAGERS (not necessarily a flying role, but look to learn and guage interest), ETC...

This site is not just about pilots.... am I correct? :cool_slp:
Pegasus6au
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pegasus6au » Sat Apr 9 2016, 20:33

Also right at the beginning. PPL A license about 20 years ago. Finally finished my CPL H exams just before Christmas. Now just started my CPL H flight training full time as of last week. I'm currently in the aviation industry as an Ops manager, but things are very quiet in our line of work. Like to find a flying job, but also know the reality with low hours, family and being somewhat older than most low hour pilots....
But staying positive and hopeful.
dusty dog

Postby dusty dog » Sat Apr 9 2016, 23:50

My thoughts exactly kulwin park!
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Sun Apr 10 2016, 01:50

Perhaps given the wrong title, the survey was to see where pilots sat with employment and their number of hours as per the post below the survey, back in 2007..
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Jun 16 2020, 07:11

Time for a big bump, to see if any of the lads who had been stuck without jobs managed to pick one up over the last decade?

Interesting to see some of the old names, no longer posting on this site sadly.

I left the industry 7 years ago, so there should be a vacancy for a 15,000 hr pilot for anybody who wants it.
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Tue Jun 16 2020, 07:51

I’m currently just about to hit 500h and employed. Work is slow but chugging along just thankful to have a job.

As someone further up mentioned if you don’t mind where you go and are humble it will happen, not sure I’d be wanting to look currently for a job but to all those looking just keep doing the basics, ring and visit CPs. this Industry is who you know not really what you know. especially in this current market things are changing all the time which could be the right place right time.

Good luck to all looking.

This site has helped me with finding my feet when I started out. Well done to the creators!

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”