Positive Drug Test

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
Justwanttofly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Positive Drug Test

Postby Justwanttofly » Tue May 29 2012, 01:58

Recently had a drug test and it came back POSITIVE for Amphetamine Type Substances with an asterix, which led to the comment: "Presence of drug(s) in this class cannot be excluded by immunoassay testing according to the cut-off(s) specified in table 1 of AS/NZS 4308:2008".

Now before I ring CASA, does anyone know if this means I can't fly. I know you don't know me, but I don't even take drugs(panadol etc) for headaches.

Thanks
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Positive Drug Test

Postby Twistgrip » Tue May 29 2012, 02:05

Have you been referred to your MRO for a re-test?
I'd start with that first
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Tue May 29 2012, 02:19

I agree with twistgrip, do not ring CASA; first get a second opinion.

it might even have been mixed up with someone else's sample, who knows.

The permitted level is 25ng/ml for Amphetamine in oral fluid. I will attach the full list for you.

Permitted level means for:

1. Alcohol, a concentration of less than 0.02 grams of alcohol in 210 litres of breath

2. A testable drug—a concentration of the testable drug that is specified in selective legislative instrument 2008 No. 275

The permitted levels in oral fluid in ng/ml for each testable drug are;

Morphine 25

Codeine 25

6-Acetyl morphine 10

Amphetamine 25

Methylamphetamine 25

Methylenedioxymethylasnphetamine 25

Methylenedioxyamphetamine 25

9-tetrahydrocannabinol 10

Cocaine 25

Benzoylecgonine 25

Ecgonine methyl ester 25

The permitted levels in urine in ug/L for each testable drug are;

Morphine 300

Codeine 300

6-Acetyl morphine 10

Amphetamine 150

Methylamphetamine 150

Methylenedioxymethylasnphetamine 150

11-nor-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabiol-9-
Carboxylic acid 15

Benzoylecgonine 150

Ecgonine methyl ester 150

Note: These levels ensure that the results are administratively reliable and are set at a sufficient level to detect recent alcohol or drug use by the donor.

Positive result means the following:

In relation to a drug or alcohol test of a body sample the test results reveals:

(a) For an initial drug test - a test result above the permitted level.

(b) For a confirmatory drug test - a test result above the permitted level and verified by an MRO as a verified positive result

(c) For an initial alcohol test - a test result above the permitted level

(d) For a confirmatory alcohol test - a test result above the permitted level
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue May 29 2012, 02:21

Who ordered the test in the first place? If it was your employer, then their hands may be tied with options until re-test further analysis takes place.

I know someone who was on prescription medication and was tested and had a positive result. It took a couple of weeks before they were back on the line flying until the test sample could be further analysed to confirm that it was the prescription drug in the sample.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
twinrotor
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby twinrotor » Tue May 29 2012, 03:43

Must be going around,
Was it from CASA

Just got randon tested for Drug and Alcohol by Casa, neg for both..
On the back of the form I got from them its states for
Positive Initial drug test results,

3rd para
By Law, you cannot again perform or be available to perform a safety sensitive avaiation activity untill certain things have happened.
An Oral fluid sample provided by you will now be sent to an approved laboraatory for confirmatory testing.
You will be advised by CASA of the results of that testing as soon as possible.
If the result is negaitive, you will be able to resume safety sensitive avaition activities immediately.

Cheers
TR

On the back of the form
Justwanttofly wrote:Recently had a drug test and it came back POSITIVE for Amphetamine Type Substances with an asterix, which led to the comment: "Presence of drug(s) in this class cannot be excluded by immunoassay testing according to the cut-off(s) specified in table 1 of AS/NZS 4308:2008".

Now before I ring CASA, does anyone know if this means I can't fly. I know you don't know me, but I don't even take drugs(panadol etc) for headaches.

Thanks
Ensure brain is engaged before the rotor.
Robrw
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Robrw » Tue May 29 2012, 06:19

Generally you let the pathologist know of any medication you have taken in the 2 weeks prior to the DAMP test.
If there is a positive reading there will usually be an annotation below saying something like '* These readings are in line with with the xxxxx medication Joe Bloggs indicated he was taking at the time of test", or something to that tune.

I have had one come back positive like that but was still able to continue working due to the NB at the bottom of the page.
Ag-Fire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ag-Fire » Wed May 30 2012, 01:50

Justwanttofly wrote: take drugs(panadol etc) for headaches.

Jwtf I have seen this lot, the test kits are not always actuate and it can be as simple as just giving another sample, providing this comes back all clear you could be cleared back to line under discretion of a CP whilst you original test is sent away for testing. You say you never take any drugs like panadol, I have no idea who you are but, a lot of pre workout exercise supplements will come up positive with this result, maybe there is something else in your diet.

just food for thought.

Ag
cassidy_copter
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby cassidy_copter » Wed May 30 2012, 08:38

Justwanttofly,

What are amphetamines?

Amphetamines belong to a group of drugs called stimulants. Amphetamines speed up the messages going between the brain and the body.

Some types of amphetamines are legally prescribed by doctors to treat conditions such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy (where a person has an uncontrollable urge to sleep).

Some people use amphetamines illegally to become intoxicated. Amphetamines are sometimes produced in backyard laboratories and mixed with other substances that can have unpleasant or harmful effects. Brand names of medications that contain, or metabolize into, amphetamine include Adderall, Dexedrine, Dextrostat, Desoxyn,[2] Didrex, ProCentra, and Vyvanse, as well as Benzedrine in the past.

IF you are flying and know you will be flying, you should be consulting an Aviation Medical Examiner, before you take ANY medication. Some are safe to fly with, most are not, including those sold over-the counter.

I limit myself to Aspirin, if and when I need it. Seldom take medication. Seldom get sick. Maybe once per year, in January/February or June/July, depending on north or south of the Equator. Always consult an AME or ground myself, until feeling well.

It is just not a good idea to self-medicate, especially if you will be flying at Night or in IMC or above 10,000 feet.

Are you aware those little black poppy seeds on a bread roll will give you a positive test?

It is best to ask an AME, they will have a list of what is flyable and what is not.

If you have a normal diet and do not self-medicate, it is highly unlikely you will ever come up with a positive drug test or even a false positive, unless it was mistakenly or deliberately switched. One of my collateral duties, while in the Army, was to administer drug tests.

And, lastly, this is probably a topic I would not have posted on the Internet for the world to read.

Pilots and drugs . . . Pilots and booze. The general public does not need to read or hear any more of that stuff. It shakes their confidence and they think we are over-paid bus drivers, anyway.

My opinion.
Never take "No" for an answer.
Justwanttofly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Justwanttofly » Thu May 31 2012, 06:21

Ag-Fire wrote:Jwtf I have seen this lot, the test kits are not always actuate and it can be as simple as just giving another sample, providing this comes back all clear you could be cleared back to line under discretion of a CP whilst you original test is sent away for testing. You say you never take any drugs like panadol, I have no idea who you are but, a lot of pre workout exercise supplements will come up positive with this result, maybe there is something else in your diet.

just food for thought.

Ag

Spoke to a pathologist today...He said that it could be a number of things, even the body could have produced a reading. He said that there are that many types of things that come under the heading Amphetamines. He told me to do another sample under the Australian Standard 4308, which is secure, in the respect that they watch you give the sample, both myself and them then sign a whole lot of different things to make sure it can be traced, it is tested to a higher standard which will hold up in a court of law.

Lets see what happens.
masteroff
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby masteroff » Tue Jun 5 2012, 09:09

Firstly, if you want to ask advice on this forum, go right ahead. Jeez, where else do you get to ask a whole bunch of people who are in the same industry about a topic that affects us all.

Secondly, 3 years ago, on my first week at work at a new job, I tested positive for sympathomimetic amines. I was like, WTF? Anyway, paid for a separate test, all clear. Turns out it was a false positive.

These tests are notoriously dodgy for this. I now work at a mine and these urine tests throw up false positives quite regularly, something in the order of 30-40% according to the site paramedic.

Get onto them to do the second test asap so you can get back to work.
Ground65

Postby Ground65 » Sat May 20 2017, 07:45

I know this is quite an old thread but thought to comment as the information there truly helped my friend. He was about to hire a Los Angeles DUI attorney when I told him to get another test done as it could have been false positive and thank god it was.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”