Knee Dock for 'New Ipad'

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
Trailing edge
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Knee Dock for 'New Ipad'

Postby Trailing edge » Fri Mar 9 2012, 04:26

Hello there Helothere,

Will your knee dock fit the new iPad?

If not will you be selling ones that do?

I'm waiting for an answer from OzRunways, but can anybody think of a reason that OzRunways wouldn't work with the 'new iPad' (stoooopid name) ?

TE
Whoever said torque is cheap has never flown a helicopter
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Knee Dock for 'New Ipad'

Postby Rattlegun » Fri Mar 9 2012, 13:39

Can't see any obvious reason it would't work. There dont seem to be any revolutionary upgrades in the (new) ipad.

Rattlegun.
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sun Mar 11 2012, 05:58

The "New" iPad is 9.5″ x 7.31″ x .37″ as compared to the iPad II at 9.5″ x 7.31″ x .34″. As you can see the only difference is the new one is 0.03" thicker. Although I haven't tried it, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will fit. It runs a new version of iOS but again, I see no reason why there would be a problem with Oz Runways. If there is, it will be fixed very quickly by the sharp guys from there.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sun Mar 11 2012, 09:08

helothere wrote:The "New" iPad is 9.5″ x 7.31″ x .37″ as compared to the iPad II at 9.5″ x 7.31″ x .34″. As you can see the only difference is the new one is 0.03" thicker..

geek alert!
New and improved, but No implants there...
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Fri Mar 16 2012, 12:11

Fits the "new" iPad fine. It's a fairly tight fit, but I presume that's the same on the iPad 2 as well? I'm also assuming the knee dock on the BS shop is the Ozrunways edition...

I picked up a "new" iPad this morning; along with probably a million other people... Never had an iPad 2, but it's a very noticeable improvement over the original one I'd been using. Ozrunways is running great as usual on it.
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Sat Mar 17 2012, 03:30

How did you get the new iPad. Here in nz the stores tell me they haven't been released yet?
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sat Mar 17 2012, 03:45

Released yesterday. Available here:

http://store.apple.com/au

Or from New Zealand, here:

http://store.apple.com/nz
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Sat Mar 17 2012, 15:20

It shows up on the Aus site but only ipad2 on NZ one. Does GPS come on the wifi only version?
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sat Mar 17 2012, 23:12

Snowcarver04 wrote:...Does GPS come on the wifi only version?

Nope. You'll be wanting the 4g version.
Jason_McNie
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jason_McNie » Tue Jun 5 2012, 09:44

What knee docks are people using for IPad 3? Ozrunway's version looks good: http://kneedock.com.au/

Is anyone using it?
Snowcarver04
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Snowcarver04 » Tue Jun 5 2012, 11:24

bam
Last edited by Snowcarver04 on Sun Jun 10 2012, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Wed Jun 6 2012, 04:22

Can definitely recommend OzRunways kneedock. It's drastically more affordable than some of the others on the market, very simple, and seemingly foolproof. I'm using the iPad 2 version, which is a slightly tighter fit than the iPad 1 version, no complaints here!
Jason_McNie
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jason_McNie » Wed Jun 6 2012, 05:39

Queestce wrote:Can definitely recommend OzRunways kneedock. It's drastically more affordable than some of the others on the market, very simple, and seemingly foolproof. I'm using the iPad 2 version, which is a slightly tighter fit than the iPad 1 version, no complaints here!

I'm guessing that's the one I've ordered. Thanks for the info
Friendly Black Dog
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Friendly Black Dog » Sat Jun 9 2012, 01:27

Dear Mr Helothere, with regards the GPS and the "new ipad", will the WIFI version allow GPS functionality if it is tethered to an Iphone?
Ian Batton
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Ian Batton » Sat Jun 9 2012, 04:10

No the WI-FI version needs a GPS via bluetooth, which you can get through ozrunways or eBay! ozrunways will tell you which one to get i think its called "Dual"
i have run mine through the phone and NO GPS signal on the iPad no matter how long i waited, then got the Dual and works a treat!
Now where's my beer
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sun Jun 10 2012, 09:24

Hey FBD, this from the OzRunways FAQ's:

Can my iPhone4 tethering give the iPad a GPS position ?

Technically, yes (e.g. using the Maps app), although OzRunways works by “asking” the iPad for an accurate position. If the iPad deems the position inaccurate enough, it will not pass the position to the OzRunways app. It seems that the iPad does not trust the iPhone4′s position so it doesn’t always pass it on.

Now – in OzRunways v2.0.1 (before flight planning), iPhone4 tethering definitely did not work. I subtly changed the position accuracy required in OzRunways v2.5 (with flight planning) so it may work now. I don’t have a WiFi-only iPad to test, however if anybody has been able to now get a GPS position using OzRunways v2.5 or v2.6 and iPhone4 tethering, please let me know. Cheers !

And this:

What GPS do you recommend?
Bad ELF GPS will enable GPS on your WiFi-only iPad or 3G iPad if you are forced to work in Airplane mode (which disables the onboard GPS). You can get them for around $99. We’ll try and get our hands on some to resell too. The Dual bluetooth GPS has also been reported as being very good by some customers.

And for the Kneedock discussion, the one supplied on the Bladeslapper shop is the OzRunways one for V2 (and 'New') iPads, same price too.
Jason_McNie
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jason_McNie » Sun Jun 10 2012, 10:27

The kneedock works a treat.

Those GPS for Airplane Mode operation look interesting. Anyone have experience actually using one in Airplane Mode? How does it go?

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”