TUNA BOAT QUESTIONS...

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
maybe...

TUNA BOAT QUESTIONS...

Postby maybe... » Tue Aug 16 2011, 13:02

hey just wondering if someone could shed some light on the topic of flying on tuna boats...

does it still go on? (most of the threads i've found are years old!)
what TT etc would be preferred?
where would be the best place for an Aussie bloke start looking?

cheers for any help people can offer!
driftersabre
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: TUNA BOAT QUESTIONS...

Postby driftersabre » Tue Aug 16 2011, 18:12

Still does,would be over 70 machines opperating over the south Pacific.
TT would be prefered 1000hrs although have known guys with less than 200hrs to get a break.
Tropic Helicopters look at most applicants, forget Hansen if your an ozzie as they dont employ them due to a poor history of pilot no shows and generally not as adventurous as our Kiwi bretheren and thats from Marvin Reeds mouth.
Luka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Luka » Tue Aug 16 2011, 22:18

Yep, a lot of it going on.

The two big companies are Topic Helicopters, an Aussie owned company based in Pohnpei FSM, and Hansen Helicopters based in Guam. Hansen don't employ Aussies as driftersaber correctly states because of poor work history (and it was the owner himself who told me that), and Tropic prefer to employ Philippines pilots (they stay for the entire year and keep coming back). Tropic can be a bit tardy in paying wages (I have had to wait two months for pay) but I never had an issue with the monthly payments from Hansen. Hansen have only a one year contract, Tropic have six month and one year, and prefer the one year contract. With both companies you can break your contract with one months notice, but you then have to pay your own way back home. Hansen will try and make you pay for your replacements airfare as well, and also don't expect to get your last months salary from Hansen if you leave early. Money is not that good, starting salary is about USD$3900 per month (double that if you are a mechanic as well), Tropic tend to pay slightly more than Hansen. The amount of flying you do will depend on the ships Fish Master/Captain, I have done 160 hours in a three week trip on a Taiwanese boat, and as little as 50 per month on a Korean boat.

Both Hansen and Tropic operate the H500 C models, most with the C18 but I have flown C20 powered machines with Tropic. Maintenance with both companies in not to the same standard as in Aus/NZ. You will hear many horror stories about maintenance and parts, and in my experience most of them are true. I think at the moment Hansen have about 38 machines at sea, and probably about the same number in the workshop/spares. Tropic have about 33 at sea, and about 10 -15 in the workshop/spares. Tropic told me they are looking at expanding in the next few months to over 40.

The companies both require the same minimums for their pilots. 1000 hours TT, 100 Turbine and 20 - 50 on type. I do know of some people who have fudged their logbooks to get a job, but both companies are now verifying logbooks, and I personally know of two pilots who have been caught out doing this and blacklisted. Both companies do check flights as well.

Flying can be challenging, depending on the Capitan. I have had some who will stop the boat for you to land, and others who consider that it would be a huge imposition on them to turn or slow the boat. Anybody can land on a nice day, but try landing with a 20 - 25 kt tailwind and a couple of foot clearance between the MR and steel superstructure while the boat is rising and falling 3m and rolling from side to side is hard. You can ask them to slow down or turn, but sometimes they just don't. Topic no longer do any fish pushing, they have lost too many machines so the owner has issued a directive that it can not be done unless the fishing companies agree to pick up the tab. To the best of my knowledge none of them have. The Korean boats I flew off also did not get in to the stealing of radio buoys, but we did a lot of that on the Taiwanese boats, with the associated risks (hovering crosswind over a raft at 1 foot above the water with one skid tied to the raft, while the spotter climbs out on the skid to remove the other companies radio buoy and attach your one, all the while the raft is bobbing up and down in the swell).

There are other smaller companies, Western Pacific Helicopters operated 4 R44's off American boats out of Pago Pago, and require 1000 hours and previous tuna boat experience. You do see them advertising on here from time to time. They would be the best company in my experience to work for, their helicopters are maintained to NZ CAA standards, and you have a NZ LAME on board. Also pay more than Hansen or Tropic. Think I did about 120 hours per month with them. I have seen other companies with one or two helicopters operating out of Central America, but don't know much about them. They tend to operated R44's and some have R22's.

Food on the boats is a bit hit and miss. Easily the worst food I have eaten was on Taiwanese boats, I normally loose about 1kg per week (evenly distributed between dysentery and poor/lack of food). Best food in the world I have eaten on the American boats, as much as you can eat and its nice. Korean boats have nice food, and upon reflection I still loose weight, but am never hungry and it's probably good for me. Accommodation on boats also varies, normally the best accommodation is on the Taiwanese boats, but some of the newer Korean boats are nice and the Japanese boats are much like a cruise ship.

All in all a good way to get a lot of experience quickly, but not so good for the family life. IMHO a young single man's (yes males only, none of the fishing companies like the idea of female's on board) job.

Contacts for Hansen are Marvin Reed marvreed@hotmail.com TEL: (671) 649-9580 FAX: (671) 649-9582
and for Tropic Abner Indino abner@tropichelicopters.com (691) 920 7350
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Tue Aug 16 2011, 22:44

Quality post Luka.
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Tue Aug 16 2011, 23:35

I agree , nice to see a useful and interesting post for once. :D

Had a few mates who have been on the boats and by what they have said I reackon Luka is spot on !

If you are young/single ( or old/single!) and looking for an adventure Id say hook into it , but be carefull....
Redlining in neutral
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Tue Aug 16 2011, 23:39

agree with AgRattler, very nice post Luka and it is really good to see someone take the time to answer a question using knowledge and fact to inform rather than the general smart alec replies threads usually get from questions like this,
well done mate.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
carsick

Postby carsick » Wed Aug 17 2011, 02:33

In the last couple of months Hansen has been looking for pilots...let me see if I can dig up the ad...

Ditto everything Luka wrote

Found it, this was posted about a month ago:

Hansen Helicopters
Guam

Job Location:
Outside USA/Canada Contact: Marvin Reed
marvinreed@hansenhelicopters.com
Helicopter Pilots needed for Tuna Boats in the South Pacific. Minumum requirments; 1,000 hrs. total helicopter PIC, 100 hrs. turbine, 25 hrs. in type (H500).

$3,693.00 per month, we pay airfare to and from the vessel, after completion of a 1 yr. contract, a $2,500.00 bonus after the one year for no-down time or broken machine.

Contact ; Hansen Helicospters at 671-649-9580/81 Fax. 671-649-9582 or email. marvinreed@hansenhelicopters.com or marvreed@hotmail.com
blackstump
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby blackstump » Wed Aug 17 2011, 08:08

nice one luka

and errr don't land in Nauru for snacks..like real expensive and then some!

whats the latest on the sweet tooth fella??
Always Out Of Balance
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Always Out Of Balance » Wed Aug 17 2011, 09:50

Hansen Helicopters do take on Aussies. Know of some that have worked there and some still working there. Also you can get on with a bare endorsement on the H500 series.
Heard it can be an amazing experience and also fairly lonely out there being the only English speaking person on the boat.
As Luka said, you can loose a lot of weight on the job out there... lots of tuna on the menu i would imagine.
AOB.
maybe...

Postby maybe... » Wed Aug 17 2011, 23:29

cheers guys for the info. seems there's a fair few decisions to make!
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Thu Aug 18 2011, 10:52

I agree with everyone great post straight to the point!

However... The horror stories we all hear about, they never seem to be brought to the public eye.
Are the stories all true?? I have heard some terrible things from inedible food to engines exploding!!
I agree it seems like a great way to get turbine hours but really?? Risk your life on machines built out of 2/3 different wrecked helis maintained by a guy that is happy just to top up the fuel and enjoy a better life on the sea, than actually maintain an unserviceable machine?!?!
Anyways please put me in my place if it's all BS! Otherwise those thinking of going... Do your homework
JohnHopkins
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby JohnHopkins » Thu Aug 18 2011, 11:18

Trying to keep this thread honest, is it true that tuna boat guys are finding it harder to find other employment post their 'sea days'? I've heard this from a few different sources now.
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Thu Aug 18 2011, 11:30

John,

I've worked with a few ex boat blokes and they have never told me they had any problems finding work because of working out there. I don't think operators care where you got the experience-just that you meet the mins for the job they want you to do.
K1

Postby K1 » Fri Sep 16 2011, 12:17

Can anyone tell me what licence is required, eg CASA, CAA or FAA.
Cheers
Ringo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ringo » Fri Sep 16 2011, 16:31

K1 wrote:Can anyone tell me what licence is required, eg CASA, CAA or FAA.
Cheers

Any ICAO affiliated licence. There are guys from Europe, Nth America, Asia and Oceania out there.
Ringo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ringo » Fri Sep 16 2011, 17:01

Pinnacle wrote:I agree with everyone great post straight to the point!

However... The horror stories we all hear about, they never seem to be brought to the public eye.
Are the stories all true?? I have heard some terrible things from inedible food to engines exploding!!
I agree it seems like a great way to get turbine hours but really?? Risk your life on machines built out of 2/3 different wrecked helis maintained by a guy that is happy just to top up the fuel and enjoy a better life on the sea, than actually maintain an unserviceable machine?!?!
Anyways please put me in my place if it's all BS! Otherwise those thinking of going... Do your homework

Just to put you in your place...
Do your home work? No chance! There are so many variables out there it would be too confusing.
I was on two Taiwanese boats and had good food, he had a useless cook and had bad food. I had good helicopters, he bad helicopters. I had good mechanics who worked hard, he had bad mechanics that were effing lazy. I had a good "Fish Master" who I could sit and drink whiskey with, he had a "Fish Master" who was a C@^T of a man.
I had an adventure, he had a nightmare!
The Tuna boats are a great way to get quick turbine hours, see a part of the world you would never likely go to, and meet some good blokes out there doing the same thing, all with the same goals. There is a great camaraderie out there. The good times with the lads out there, was one of the highlights.
It's tough, it's mind numbingly boring at times. It's risky, both with the environment and some of the machines and maintenance. But it does sort out the men from the boys.
I worked for Hansen and they are pretty good. The last thing they want to hear is: one of their machines is broken, or one of their pilots is injured. They are happiest when they don't hear from you at all - which means everything is going smoothly and you are, more or less... happy. They stick by their pilots 100% If you have a problem with your boat, they will be happy to move you to another (as long as it is logistically feesable). If you are unhappy with the work of your engineer/mech they will (and I have seen it) fire that dude on the spot and send him back to the Phillipines.
It is a baptism by fire. You almost have to go out there to find out the answers to all these questions.
You have to have a goal, the drive and determination, to last out there and make it worthwhile. The biggest thing is being able to occupy yoursef on the boat when you are not flying. Books, movies, conversation in broken english, games...a month at sea is a long time.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. Would I go back (after18mnths out there)? Not if I could help it...but I would go back if I needed the work...and if I was single.
Hansen Helicopters all the way. If you are in doubt don't even think about Tropic...it's owned by an shyster!
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sat Sep 17 2011, 22:55

...and the beer is pretty good in Majuro aye Ringo.
:cool_dc:
Ringo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ringo » Mon Sep 19 2011, 21:52

As long as you stay away from the U.S. beer it all tastes delicious no matter what island you are on.
K1

Postby K1 » Mon Oct 3 2011, 00:01

Has anyone been out recently, looks like I may have a start and have a few questions.
Thanks in advance. :roll:
Luka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Luka » Mon Oct 3 2011, 02:41

Go ahead and ask, what do you want to know? PM me if you want, but chances are more people will have the same questions.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”