cpl(h) met

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
nickh
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

cpl(h) met

Postby nickh » Tue Mar 4 2003, 03:36

Hi just joined site really ejoying it !! Going to sit my met exam in 2 weeks can ye give me some pointers as i am struggling with it :?
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: cpl(h) met

Postby Heliflyer » Tue Mar 4 2003, 03:46

I have been doing Met at home self study, and hope to book the exam sometime soon. What part are you struggling with, or just all of it in general?
DragonFlyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DragonFlyer » Tue Mar 4 2003, 06:33

your biggest point earner's in the exam will be on how to read/understand an area forcast or TAF, plus it helps alot in the real world ;)

that and a good crib sheet will help i hope...

cheers
DF
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself. :) :) :)
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Mar 4 2003, 21:58

Echo the comments above mate. Throw your questions up here or PM them and we'll try and point you in the right direction.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Wed Mar 5 2003, 01:08

nickh

dont forget you are allowed to take into the exam the AIPs which contains GEN 3.5, which im sure you know, has a full breakdown of all met related terminology and definitions and how to read TAF and AFORS METARS, SPECI...etc...
if you are not sure on a defintion during the exam you can just look it up.

better off is knowing that section back to front, inside out. will help you alot when you are under the pump during the exam.
nickh
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nickh » Wed Mar 5 2003, 02:51

First of all thanks to all for replying !! I think my main problem is the afor with subdivisions just finding it tough to get my head around them !! Do they have many questions on them in exam ? What other topics is there to put more study into before exam ??
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Mar 5 2003, 03:28

You'll definitely get a question on an arfor most probably with a trough passing through the area. One problem I had here was the ranges/slopes etc areas, I was unsure where they actually encompassed and personally don't think it was too well defined in the aft notes. However, they were very helpful when I called them so don't hesitate to use them (assuming you are with AFT...).

Have a look on the Sydney WAC, see the area around Cowra? That colouring goes west and south and is the designated 'slopes'. The area to the east is the 'ranges' and obviously the area to the east of that again along the coast is the, 'coast'. The questions usually revolve around flight from wagga, canberra and merimbula. Get used to using the pca chart to plot out the trough and draw it in during the test so you know which side you're goign to be on at the time.

Any questions in particular?

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”