Taxi at non towered aerodrome

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Taxi at non towered aerodrome

Postby Pitchpull » Thu Nov 8 2018, 06:39

Hi guys looking for some operational advice, do I need to use the designated taxi ways or can I air transit directly to the fuel bay?
Cheers! :?
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Taxi at non towered aerodrome

Postby Pitchpull » Thu Nov 8 2018, 07:52

Pitchpull wrote:Hi guys looking for some operational advice, do I need to use the designated taxi ways or can I air transit directly to the fuel bay? IE, Broken Hill.
Cheers! :?
bell_driver
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bell_driver » Thu Nov 8 2018, 07:58

CAO 95.7
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Thu Nov 8 2018, 08:07

To assist in English...

Yes, of course you can.

You can also request a) taxi to fuel at a towered airport and b) (indeed) direct landing to the fuel pump.

Arrrj
Probbo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Probbo » Thu Nov 8 2018, 09:05

Just transmit - MAYDAY, fuel and truck it on in to the bowser! :lol:
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Thu Nov 8 2018, 23:28

Thanks chaps much appreciated! :D
flyhuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyhuey » Fri Nov 9 2018, 10:43

3 Exemptions in relation to helicopters hovering, air transiting, air taxiing or ground taxiing on or over aerodromes
3.1 If the conditions set out in paragraph 3.2 are complied with, a helicopter is exempt from compliance with paragraph 157 (1) (b) and subregulation 163 (1) of the regulations.
3.2 The exemption given by paragraph 3.1, in relation to a helicopter, is subject to the following conditions:
(a) the helicopter must be hovering, air transiting, air taxiing or ground taxiing on or over an aerodrome;
(b) the helicopter must maintain such horizontal separation from any other aircraft, person or obstruction as ensures that the helicopter does not constitute a hazard to the aircraft, person or obstruction;
(c) if the helicopter is hovering, air taxiing or ground taxiing — the distance between the helicopter’s rotor tip path and any other aircraft, person or obstruction must be such distance as ensures that rotor downwash from the helicopter (including objects picked up by the downwash) does not constitute a hazard to the aircraft, person or obstruction.

The advantage to hovering along/above a taxiway, you are less likely to run into anything following the yellow brick road, and if you are still in the flight time building mode, then why rush the end of your career.

There can be stumps, poles, unseen guy-wires, antennae, migratory birds, and all sorts of stuff that could become a hazard to taking a shortcut to rush things along. Keep your head on a swivel; look up, down, and all around to be sure you are clear. Communicate your intentions. Don't cross an active runway with an aircraft approaching to land, especially, if it is on an Instrument Approach, because your aircraft crossing may interfere with Navigation Signals for the approaching aircraft . . . Look in both directions, before crossing.

Still, the Regulations leaves it up to your judgment (if it is not flawed).

Just think Safety and doing whatever it takes to protect your Pilot Licence.
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Fri Nov 9 2018, 11:16

Thanks "flyhuey" much appreciated, I'll take all that on board. :D

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”