Ammending a printed set of rules

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
_chopper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Ammending a printed set of rules

Postby _chopper » Thu Apr 5 2018, 04:30

Hi Slappers, I hope this is an easy question for someone to answer.
I've picked up a set of printed CASR and CAOs but they are out of date.
Does anyone know a way to get hold of the previous updates so that they can be brought up to date?
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Ammending a printed set of rules

Postby Fill-level » Thu Apr 5 2018, 05:17

Go on www.legislation.gov.au search for the relevant document and print.....
_chopper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby _chopper » Thu Apr 5 2018, 08:04

Hmmmm. Was hoping there was a solution that didn't require me reprinting the entire document or manually sifting through all the various docs to figure out what has changed then printing out those pages that contain the changes...
Mallard
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mallard » Thu Apr 5 2018, 10:07

_chopper wrote:Hmmmm. Was hoping there was a solution that didn't require me reprinting the entire document or manually sifting through all the various docs to figure out what has changed then printing out those pages that contain the changes...

that would be logical... it might even be possible but you will most likely end up replacing the entire document multiple times if you did it chronologically by update!
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri Apr 6 2018, 03:18

Honestly mate, if you want a printed copy of those Regs, and you want them to be the latest version, you'd be better off just buying the latest edition and then amending them when required. Trying to amend old documents when you don't know their amendment status is a recipe for disaster. I say disaster as it might be the difference between wrong and right on an exam question! Why not just use the online documents, they're always up to date and you're able to search the documents for the info you're after.

CH 8)
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Fri Apr 6 2018, 03:23

Capt Hollywood wrote:Honestly mate, if you want a printed copy of those Regs, and you want them to be the latest version, you'd be better off just buying the latest edition and then amending them when required. Trying to amend old documents when you don't know their amendment status is a recipe for disaster. I say disaster as it might be the difference between wrong and right on an exam question! Why not just use the online documents, they're always up to date and you're able to search the documents for the info you're after.

CH 8)

Exactly the above.

Then when you go to sit your exam just put the PDF onto a thumb drive and print off the lot as an up to date set just before your exam at officeworks.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
_chopper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby _chopper » Fri Apr 6 2018, 03:44

Capt Hollywood wrote:Honestly mate, if you want a printed copy of those Regs, and you want them to be the latest version, you'd be better off just buying the latest edition and then amending them when required. Trying to amend old documents when you don't know their amendment status is a recipe for disaster. I say disaster as it might be the difference between wrong and right on an exam question!

The amendment status is known. It's just behind by a few (compilation 74 instead of the current 78). I agree it would be nightmare without the actual amendments in hand. And if I can't get them I won't bother.

Capt Hollywood wrote:Why not just use the online documents, they're always up to date and you're able to search the documents for the info you're after.

Operationally and for day to day this exactly what I do. But students can't take their iPad or laptop into the exams.
Ideally I wanted to have a printed copy that I could lend out to people as they needed it without having to buy a new set. It's a pain that you can't get hold of back dated amendments. Especially when they are updated and changed so often. The copy of the CASRs I have is from January 2017 FFS and it's already 4 compilations behind...

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”