Tips to becoming a Crewie

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
Jenpen
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 2018

Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby Jenpen » Fri Mar 2 2018, 04:25

Hi Guys,

It's probably been asked a million times before,
What are the best ways to go about getting hours/certifications towards being a Crewman?
What are the best certifications to do?
What are reputable schools to gain these through?
How does a young person go about getting experience?
I am looking anywhere from Newcastle to Sydney but I am willing to travel wherever I need to.

Any help would be great,
Cheers
:D
Heliduck
1st Dan
1st Dan
Posts: 282
Joined: Jan 2008

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby Heliduck » Fri Mar 2 2018, 07:10

I don't personally know any of the crews in those areas, but I would bet that if you made an appointment & asked to discuss the career path with any of them they would be more than willing to help. We're all aviators after all, my brothers keeper.
They are the people who are doing the hiring so their recommended training path is what will give you the best chance at getting a start.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
robaussie99
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 84
Joined: Oct 2010

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby robaussie99 » Fri Mar 2 2018, 18:12

Heliduck wrote:I don't personally know any of the crews in those areas, but I would bet that if you made an appointment & asked to discuss the career path with any of them they would be more than willing to help. We're all aviators after all, my brothers keeper.
They are the people who are doing the hiring so their recommended training path is what will give you the best chance at getting a start.



This.

When I first started I really wanted a job with CHC (as they had most of the presence in Victoria, where I’m from. So I went online and found a job ad for CHC, and proceeded to tick off their prerequisites one by one. I figured If I met all the hiring prereq’s that’d be a good place to start. Similar to what ‘duck is saying above, go down the pathway that ends where you want to be.

Good luck.

Edit, if you search through my post history you might find some of the earlier threads I made here, it worked for me.
chopperfodder
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 16
Joined: Oct 2010

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby chopperfodder » Sat Mar 3 2018, 02:59

Hi Jenpen

I live and work as a crewie in the area your looking at, PM me and I can help

Regards
User avatar
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan
Posts: 1105
Joined: Jun 2007

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby havick » Sat Mar 3 2018, 19:59

Jenpen wrote:Hi Guys,

It's probably been asked a million times before,
What are the best ways to go about getting hours/certifications towards being a Crewman?
What are the best certifications to do?
What are reputable schools to gain these through?
How does a young person go about getting experience?
I am looking anywhere from Newcastle to Sydney but I am willing to travel wherever I need to.

Any help would be great,
Cheers
:D


The majority of crewies are ex army/navy. There are some avenues in the civilian sector to start from scratch but they are very limited and getting more scarce as there is a steady supply of military guys that are walk up starters.

It’s very competitive in the civilian world for crewies almost if not just as competitive for the pilot jobs.

That being said there have been guys that went through CHC, DEPI or DELWP in Vic whatever they call themselves now, parks nsw that have led successful careers.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
User avatar
sam 34
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 58
Joined: Jul 2013

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby sam 34 » Sat Mar 3 2018, 21:41

I would recommend surf lifesaving, & doing triathlons as the fitness test is a bit full on if your not 100% fit. Then as much training/ certification as you can get

Huet
Aircraft radio licence
Marine radio licence
CASA medical
Bronze medallion
Advanced Resuscitation & other medical training
Fly in the wire training
Swift water rescue training
CPL theory subjects & tests
CRM
ASIC
DG

& maybe if you have the cash, do the aircrew training available, although $15k+ is expensive
User avatar
Leethallee
Gold Wings
Gold Wings
Posts: 116
Joined: Apr 2007

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby Leethallee » Sun Mar 4 2018, 00:49

All asumptions have been on the EMS side of crewing. Theres good coin in the lifting side for the right people.
Judge your success by what you have had to give up to get it.
robaussie99
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 84
Joined: Oct 2010

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby robaussie99 » Sun Mar 4 2018, 01:27

Leethallee wrote:All asumptions have been on the EMS side of crewing. Theres good coin in the lifting side for the right people.



Would love to know of an operator between Newcastle and Sydney that would hire a non-ex-mil loadmaster for lift work? I’ve never even heard of an Australian based company that hires an aircrewman that doesn’t operate a hoist, there’s work as a ground based rigger, maybe with a helicopter company, an operator that requires the crewman to remain on board the aircraft during that lift operation as an essential personnel would be few and far between.

The EMS guys have been the ones that have responded so far and that’s certainly where the majority of the civvy crewies work, but maybe you’re right and we’ve all misinterpreted the request.

Always learning ;)
User avatar
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan
Posts: 1431
Joined: Aug 2006

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Mar 4 2018, 03:02

Sam34 gave some very good advice. Spot on.

Work towards all the basic qualifications and you stand a good chance of a start. The CPL subjects probably isn’t all that necessary and it would be expensive to achieve however it does show a high level of motivation to gain a thorough understanding of helicopters and their basic operating principles.

I got a start many years ago with the old HeliAust (worked with Leehalllee there) working on fires before also working casually on the National Parks and Wildlife Services helicopters. After a short hiatus I gained a full time gig on the Coastwatch program on Horn Island which was a very good crewmans job. The point to this is having to move around and being patient. Persistence is also a great virtue to have.

You may very well have to consider moving beyond your local area for work else you’ll likely be limiting yourself to some great opportunities. CHC and other organisations have rescue crewman/down the wire positions and progress people through to aircrewman after a few years. There is a base at Williamtown but I think every man and his dog would be after a spot there.

Not sure if the local Newcastle Westpac Lifesaver still take rescue crewman however it had traditionally been a very competitive place to get a start. The traditional EMS aircrewman roll has also evolved quite a bit over the years and is not a place for someone without a good foundation of experience.

Work hard, be persistent, network all the time and be persistent.
CLY
New Member
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Aug 2017

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby CLY » Sun Mar 4 2018, 23:41

Hi Jenpen,

Not much to add to the other comments, they pictured the environment quite well. If you're after training and qualifications as Rescue Crewman or Aircrewman, go there: www.acetrainingcente.com.au . You won't find better in Australia.
:D
robaussie99
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 84
Joined: Oct 2010

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby robaussie99 » Mon Mar 5 2018, 01:37

CLY wrote: If you're after training and qualifications as Rescue Crewman or Aircrewman, go there: http://www.acetrainingcente.com.au . You won't find better in Australia.
:D


Pretty big call considering the paint is still wet....
User avatar
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan
Posts: 1431
Joined: Aug 2006

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Mar 5 2018, 05:02

The correct link for the website is:

http://www.acetrainingcentre.com.au/about-us/

Some might say it’s a hefty claim as regards the ‘won’t find better in Australia’ statement however a review of the facilities and staff behind the training would go a long way to assuring anyone training there that it’s all to a very high standard. There is a lot of experience being drawn upon in the line up with a hefty mix of military and civilian exposure. Great to see a solid investment in training.
User avatar
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan
Posts: 1105
Joined: Jun 2007

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby havick » Mon Mar 5 2018, 15:28

robaussie99 wrote:
CLY wrote: If you're after training and qualifications as Rescue Crewman or Aircrewman, go there: http://www.acetrainingcente.com.au . You won't find better in Australia.
:D


Pretty big call considering the paint is still wet....


In their defense they put their money where their mouth is and stumped up for a nice facility and have good instructors where no other company has to date.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
robaussie99
Silver Wings
Silver Wings
Posts: 84
Joined: Oct 2010

Re: Tips to becoming a Crewie

Postby robaussie99 » Mon Mar 5 2018, 16:27

havick wrote:
robaussie99 wrote:
CLY wrote: If you're after training and qualifications as Rescue Crewman or Aircrewman, go there: http://www.acetrainingcente.com.au . You won't find better in Australia.
:D


Pretty big call considering the paint is still wet....


In their defense they put their money where their mouth is and stumped up for a nice facility and have good instructors where no other company has to date.


100% agree to both comments, all signs point to it being excellent, no doubt some of the most qualified instructors in the country, working in by far the best facility in the country, I just wouldn’t sign up with my personal credit card to be be the first guy through and guinea pig the program like the OP is asking about. Give it some time and we’ll no doubt have a very different conversation.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest