ANR in helmet on long line ops

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
nzrotors
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

ANR in helmet on long line ops

Postby nzrotors » Fri Feb 2 2018, 20:27

Hey Team

Looking at getting a new helmet and im after some advice regarding anr in helmets. All my work is external lifting so was wondering if anyone has good/bad experiences with anr and having your head out the door does it upset the anr like it does wearing a bose headset ?

Thanks in advance Team
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: ANR in helmet on long line ops

Postby havick » Fri Feb 2 2018, 22:10

Most ANR struggles with head out the door work. Better off going with a CEP plug and moulded earplugs with the HELO CHAIS. Personal opinion of course, I'm sure there are others that disagree and may have had good experience with a certain type of ANR but I'm yet to hear someone using a helmet with ANR doing head out the door work that is %100 happy with it.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
AS350Driver
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AS350Driver » Fri Feb 2 2018, 22:20

I have Bose ANR is an Evo252 helmet. Works great in as350 with door off and two bladers as well. Trick is for cups to seal well around your ears. If you don’t you get a bit of flutter from the anr. I’d hate to go back to passive audio.
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Fri Feb 2 2018, 22:51

AS350Driver wrote:I have Bose ANR is an Evo252 helmet. Works great in as350 with door off and two bladers as well. Trick is for cups to seal well around your ears. If you don’t you get a bit of flutter from the anr. I’d hate to go back to passive audio.

+1
Airbeater
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Airbeater » Sat Feb 3 2018, 00:41

I run Zulu anr
Doors off external load work in a as350
Never a problem. As mentioned the earseal is key

AB
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sat Feb 3 2018, 01:28

i have bose ANR in a evo 252 as well. works great sometimes, and absolute crap other times...

only flying 206s and Hueys.

I haven't really figured out which conditions its going to pack a sad on, although in general in one JR with door off it was great, never a beat heard, but with the door on it would give a beat through the headset that is really annoying... i guess it has something to do with the blades compressing the cabin each time they turn??? In the other JR doors on it works fine, haven't done any doors off with second JR to see if its good in that as well. but I'm guessing the difference is to do with how tight the cabins are, how good the door seals are etc.

In the hueys it can go from perfect to so bad you want to go back to the old helmet! windows all closed in all the hueys seem to work well, at any speed, flying with a bubble window is good most of the time as well. on the hueys with the window removed, it can go from perfect to crap, and will do that on each turn. It has a lot to do with wind direction, if the cabin is sheltering the prevailing wind, and then which way you are taking off into the wind, cross wind etc.

I'm going to look at the CEP to see if that works any better. Although i do wear glasses to fly, i have very small frames but still break the seal. I don't actually need the glasses for my licence, i can just tell the slight difference, so might try without them, or try contacts to see if it makes a difference.

I think the bigger and slower the blades you have, the more problems you will have, whereas the smaller blades spinning faster don't have such a big pressure change each time they turn so its easier for the ANR to keep up.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”