Jetranger max weight

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
CptNico

Jetranger max weight

Postby CptNico » Thu Jan 11 2018, 03:15

Hi guys,

What’s the heaviest pax you’ve carried in a Jetty? I’ve got a 150kg and 100kg client enquiring if they can do a flight. Don’t know if it’s muscle or fat...
How would you go about it?
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Jetranger max weight

Postby Fill-level » Thu Jan 11 2018, 03:53

Just run a weight and balance
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Thu Jan 11 2018, 04:46

CptNico wrote:Hi guys,

What’s the heaviest pax you’ve carried in a Jetty? I’ve got a 150kg and 100kg client enquiring if they can do a flight. Don’t know if it’s muscle or fat...

FFS - Has BS become the new flight manual & Chief Pilot substitute?
I tried slinging a ton of bricks once but I couldn't lift it so I slung a ton of feathers instead.

Surely all these new members with bulls&$t comments are spam.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby robaussie99 » Thu Jan 11 2018, 04:59

Heliduck wrote:
CptNico wrote:Hi guys,

FFS - Has BS become the new flight manual & Chief Pilot substitute?
I tried slinging a ton of bricks once but I couldn't lift it so I slung a ton of feathers instead.

Surely all these new members with bulls&$t comments are spam.

And you wonder why we’re looking overseas for pilots pop;
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Jan 11 2018, 06:10

Put them both in the back seat, you have the equivalent of 3 x 77kg pax and all good.

Keep them out of the front seat. An old mate once had Russ Hinze in the front (though he didn't know who he was - the Minister For Everything), he was trying to wiggle his fat backside around in flight to get more comfortable, and pushed the collective lever down and sat on it.

When he got the machine back under control, old mate whacked Russ with a back-hander and said "I TOLD you not to touch a f*****g thing!"

On landing, Russ shakes his hand, and says "It's good to see somebody who is not over-awed by someone with a bit of power."

Russ walks away, old mate turns to his boss, and asks "Who the F*** was that???"
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Thu Jan 11 2018, 06:54

I’ve taken a guy about 250 kg in a JR.

Rather large guy... Righto so you are in the left and centre seat, that’s 125 kg each seat..... when you saw the guy sitting in there he certainly took up both seats!

Did a W&B, no one had ever let him on a helicopter before as he was too large, but I just wrote it up did the maths and it worked out.
CptNico

Postby CptNico » Thu Jan 11 2018, 07:05

Maybe I worded it wrong. I know it’s in weight limits. I’m wondering about how much space they will take up, ie will they fit in or does the big guy need two seats.
Thanks SuperF and Eric Hunt.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Jan 11 2018, 09:39

Perhaps get someone else to do the job for you.
pop;
Not sure on your experience level or whether or not you are an owner operator on a private flight or an unsupported junior pilot but have you seen old mate on the scales or is that the weight what he/they say they are?
Could be in for a world of hurt if not. Fatties are embarrassed and tend to underestimate their weight.
Also, don’t fuel up the machine until you definitely know their exact weight.
When they arrive, like a tailor you can do a fitting. Have a belt extender on hand.
They will fit.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Thu Jan 11 2018, 11:24

Oh yeah. Weigh them on calibrated scales, and have a belt extender...

You don’t have to have three very big people to be tight in the back of a JR, so two guys over three seats is good!

And do the W&B before you fuel, although you should be able to do a bit of basic figuring out prior, ie if their weights are as stated , then you should be good to go with x amount of gas.

One thing that I have just thought about is what are the seat belt hard points designed to hold in an accident... never really thought about it before.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sat Jan 13 2018, 02:14

For guidance on operational flying it would be prudent to consult with your chief pilot. if that is not an option. (owner operator) then may i suggest speaking to the instructor that gave you the endorsement. it just saves you coping a backlash which people seem to like doing on here,,,,
hoverthrust
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby hoverthrust » Sun Jan 14 2018, 12:19

One should also consider some helicopters have a design in them to collapse the seat. It is sometimes not about the weight of one person and pretend to distribute over 2 seats. Seats are made of flimsy metal and crosses on them to concentina for a reason. More so in your R44 / squirrel types than JR.
Just keep it in mind that some types isn't just a numbers game. It can be a design to help on impact.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”